Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Admit it - you wish every game had a 'super easy' mode

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    You should have tried the game Populous on SNES. You WERE God!
    Populous was an EXCELLENT game. I miss playing it now that you mention it.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Populous was an EXCELLENT game. I miss playing it now that you mention it.
    Mr. I have my own ARCADE Machine with 20,000,000 games and you don't have POPULOUS????

ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Undisclosed
    "Well done, mortal". I think that is how the line went.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Mr. I have my own ARCADE Machine with 20,000,000 games and you don't have POPULOUS????

My arcade machine plays ARCADE games. Populous was a PC game you dink!

btw, I only have around 6000 games on the arcade machine, so

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    "super-easy"? right. because, for when easy is just a bit too hard you need this.

Why not just take away any challenge and risk of failure and just set up a screensaver instead. That way you dont even need your hands, just sit there and stare at a screen for an extended period of time, placated and truncated from any possible mental stimulation.

See, this is why we have games like demon's souls advertised as "OMG IS SOOO HARD" when it isn't.

People seem to forget back in the day where if you died it was an actual GAME OVER and you had to restart from the beginning. I dont exactly want that back but when you can save every second you want, reload whenever you want, have so much more creative freedom on how to deal with challenges in modern games simply through the use of modern environments no i don't need all the enemies in a shooter to die from one shot to the foot and be a walking tank who soaks up bullets.

If there is no challenge, there is no accomplishment, the story is more satisfying when you earned it than when you can sit half brain dead and just press buttons for a few hours to go through levels and beat a game and then just wait to restart the process all over again.

This is why we have xbox achievements for watching starting cutscenes and shit.

WHAT NOW BITCH?, WE OUT.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    Why not just take away any challenge and risk of failure and just set up a screensaver instead. That way you dont even need your hands, just sit there and stare at a screen for an extended period of time, placated and truncated from any possible mental stimulation.
    Isn't that called watching a television and/or movie?

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    Isn't that called watching a television and/or movie?

j.p.
    no, the press the red button ads count as a quicktime event.

Super Moderator

UK
    Jesus hellsing, the video is a joke ... stop being so Al Gore super-serial.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    That sounds an awful lot like what a manbearpig would say....

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Hellsing, I understand what you're saying, but I also think games have changed a lot. Back in the day when games were basically red squares against blue squares, yeah it was all about the challenge.

Recently, games are becoming more and more cinematic. Rather than the older games where it was entirely about the challenge, now there is more of a movie-styled approach to telling a compelling story. It's also about the experience rather than JUST the challenge.

If I look back at the games i've personally been playing the last few years....they're really long movies. So in that sense, it's not that big of a deal whether you're on expert or easy. Set it on regular and enjoy the story without the frustration of having to start over and over again.

It also probably has to do with me being a more casual gamer and not giving a shit about the achievements, but that's my .02

United States
    Bassman is right.

Y'know what I wanna know? What actually happened to game CHEATS? Not this "achievement" bullshit (which personally, i think is stupid and worthless. "catch 20 files in your mouth while riding your horse back to the whorehouse? achievement awarded!" What the FUCK kind of useless shit is that? I guess when you label it an 'achievement' you feel like you accomplished something. As far as I'm concerned, you accomplish something when you beat the game. I realize this stuff adds a bit more for you to do in the game and perhaps give it a bit of a longer life, however, I remember when you could enter a code and get unlimited ammo, unlimited armor, etc, etc. Where did all that go? Hell man, I thought video game companies made bank off that - make the game, put a shitload of codes in it, then sell books that had the codes and make even more $. I understand that might be harder to do in the internet age, but I STILL MISS MY FUCKING CHEAT CODES.

I know, I know, some of you are going to say RDR has cheats in it - yeah, and it shuts down everything else in the game while you play with the cheats on (not that I care about the 'achievements' ) but still, it's not the same. I wouldn't expect the stats to stick if you were playing on M$ Live or something, but I think that if I'm playing single player by myself, I see no reason why I can't mess with cheats. WTF?!

The whole 'achievement' thing needs to be thrown out a window and left 4 dead (*snicker*). Most achievements are fucking retarded anyway.

Super Moderator

United States
    I don't mind achievements, I'm just sick of people bitching about how they should be able to complete every single one.

Way to pull the bar down for the rest of the world!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1938370

The "Duck Hunt" one had me cracking up.
    Too fucking funny. Litterally LOL, and I am not kidding.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    *The point in having different difficulty levels is so that you cater for all sorts - those that just want to enjoy the game, and those that just play on normal, and those who have so retardedly masochistic desire to replay the same 10 second portion a million times before they manage to scrape by having only hurled their controller through the window three times in the last hour.

Yeah Dara o' Briain said it best himself - and basically iterated the same points as you - he doesn't want to play a game to be frustrated to fuck throughout, he wants to ENJOY it - and with no super easy mode, there's content that he just won't be able to see.

If you've bought a game then I say you're entitled to see the content even if you're the kinda person who's either not skilled at games or just doesn't play enough to become worthy of "veteran" mode.

Personally for me, I go for the hardest difficulty straight away - then I work down if it's too tough, like Dead Space - I like the challenge personally but I can definitely see myself in the past being frustrated with certain checkpoints in COD because I've been playing the same bit over and over and over - theme park level on Veteran? Still haven't managed that one!!

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

I have to say though, that video was absolute genius.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

United States
    Some games I like the challenge and sense of accomplishment (L4D2 on Advanced - yea baby) and some I just wanna play without any frustration (L4D2 on Easy - yea baby).

If ya want the duck hunt on super easy then pick up Serious Sam.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.