Thread: What's the average american opinion on Bill Hick's?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK

What's the average american opinion on Bill Hick's?

So i was in nottingham yesterday and a bookstore was giving out freebooks, i grabbed a copy of 'bill hicks: love all the people' and its interesting that even in the foreword its mentioning how bill was bigger in england than the states, and attributes it to englands more widespread acceptability of anarchic statements as opposed to the american crowds isolationist patriotism.
    I knew about the letterman thing but its still kind of surprising. I still see folks in england with shirts that have bills face and the phrase "true american fucking hero" on them, so is it different overthere?
    I know theres fans on here form the u.s, but i mean in general is he popular? or kind of disliked?

Super Moderator

United States
    I don't know about the 'average' American opinion, but I was and remain, long after his passing, a big fan of Bill Hicks. Incredibly funny, he also always had a message with his comedy and it never seemed contrived, but rather very genuine.

Honestly, in this day and age, I don't know how many Americans would know who Bill Hicks is, let alone approve of his opinions. Anecdotally, many of my acquaintances and friends do not know him by name.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Eh, I don't see the appeal. I've watched a couple of his skits and just generally sighed. Oh, you're making fun of people you disagree with! Hilarious!

He's a million times better than Sarah Silverman though. I'd rather stab my eyes out and have my ear drums squashed like peas than ever having to see or listen to her again.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

United States
    Great comedian. Tormented, the best kind.

United States
    Many Americans under 40 have never heard of Bill Hicks. If they have it's because of 'Relentless', or Dennis Leary copying his material.

Notice recently many of his older videos have appeared on Youtube.

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyebiter View Post
    Many Americans under 40 have never heard of Bill Hicks. If they have it's because of 'Relentless', or Dennis Leary copying his material.

Notice recently many of his older videos have appeared on Youtube.
    I'm 37, too close to call. But I've known alot of kiddies online that would try to turn me onto Bill, to find out I was already tuned in.
    Yeah, they were all South Park freaks, but still. Kids this day have alot of access to more than we think. I was telling my 14 year old kid to check out some good Bobcat Goldthwait after we watched Shakes the Clown together and she was like, "Too late, pops."
    She really digs Louis CK. But she also likes a little Bill.
    We also watch alot of those old comedy specials they show from wayyyy back on HBOComedy.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    I was telling my 14 year old kid to check out some good Bobcat Goldthwait after we watched Shakes the Clown together...
    Shakes the Clown is a classic! I have it in my Netflix queue, but wonder how it will stand up after not having seen it in 16 or so years.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm no devoted fan but what little i've seen of his work, I found funny.

Whatever happened to that documentary on his career, anyway?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Whatever happened to that documentary on his career, anyway?
    Here you go: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1179947/

It's also sitting in my netflix queue with an unknown release date.
    Last edited by Mr.G; 03-Aug-2010 at 02:31 PM.

United States
    Hicks was a brilliant observer of the hypocracy that (still) exists in this country. Definitely on a level with Carlin or Bruce:

"I'm a Christian and I don't like what you said in your act about my religion."

(shrugs) "Then forgive me."

Sadly,, he's still considered obscure in the US. He had more success in the UK; maybe y'all appreciate dark humor more over there.

But then again, I'm into really obscure guys like Doug Kenney & Michael O'Donohue:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Kenney

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_O'Donoghue
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Shakes the Clown is a classic! I have it in my Netflix queue, but wonder how it will stand up after not having seen it in 16 or so years.
    It's actually better to watch now that I can parallel some areas in my life.

Uplifting...
    Especially the parts with slutty looking Florence Henderson.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyRay View Post
    Sadly,, he's still considered obscure in the US. He had more success in the UK; maybe y'all appreciate dark humor more over there.
    Well when we have shows like jam....

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyRay View Post
    Hicks was a brilliant observer of the hypocracy that (still) exists in this country. Definitely on a level with Carlin or Bruce
    Hicks' dark sardonic wit was unequaled except perhaps by George Carlin and even there you're comparing him to another artist that honed his craft over decades. The problem is one actually must possess a working brain to appreciate Hicks' humor which explains why mediocrity (sometimes better known as Will Farrell) is always preferred in the USA.

So much of Hicks stand-up commentary is even more relevant today than when it was written. Drugs, for example...

I quit smoking. It's very hard, but I'm glad I did. I'll tell you, this war against drugs in the US is the reason I quit because I got too fuckin' sick of being on the wrong side. The war against drugs, which actually is a war against civil rights, don't ever be fooled again. If they cared about us they'd get rid of the number one drug which is cigarettes; kills more people than crack, coke, and heroin combined, times 100. Legal.

Marijuana: a drug that kills...no one -- and let's put it in a time frame -- ever. Illegal.

That's what I hate about the war on drugs. All day long we see those commercials: "Here's your brain, here's your brain on drugs", "Just Say No", "Why do you think they call it dope?" … And then the next commercial is "This Bud's for yooouuuu." C'mon, everybody, let's be hypocritical bastards. It's okay to drink your drug. We meant those other drugs. Those untaxed drugs. Those are the ones that are bad for you.

Pot is a better drug than alcohol. Fact! … I'll prove it to you. If you're at a ball game or a concert and someone's really violent and aggressive and obnoxious, are they drunk or are they smoking pot?

I think it's interesting the two drugs that are legal, alcohol and cigarettes, two drugs that do absolutely nothing for you at all; and the drugs that might open your mind up to realize how badly you're being fucked every day of your life? Those drugs are against the law. Coincidence?
    Last edited by DubiousComforts; 05-Aug-2010 at 09:26 AM.