Thread: Crime rates in England and Wales 'worse than US'

United States

Crime rates in England and Wales 'worse than US'

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...s-2042216.html

England and Wales has one of the worst crime rates among developed nations for rapes, burglaries and robberies, a United Nations report found.
    The study for the UN Office on Drugs and Crime found England and Wales had more burglaries and robberies per 100,000 people than the United States in 2006...

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

UK
    See, we are good at something after all...

Now if we can just convince the the Olympic Committee that they are all sports we should bag ourselves a nice medal haul in 2012 - if not we could always rob 'em!

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    LOL@ Rancid Carcass....

That's shocking news eh? I guess at least if you do get robbed, it aint at gunpoint (usually)...although I got robbed by some kids with an air pistol once, well I say robbed, they didn't get away with anything - doesn't help trying to look threatening with a spring loaded plastic gun pointing at someone...I kinda just laughed.

Oh deary me.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Something else to bear in mind that would almost certainly skew the results would be the fact that a huge majority of criminal incidents in US inner cities go unreported due to the higher prevalence of organised street gangs. There is certainly some parallel with that in the UK too, but nowhere near the same level.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    I guess at least if you do get robbed, it aint at gunpoint (usually)...
    If I were robbed, I don't know that I'd find it tremendously comforting that the culprit held a knife to my throat rather than a gun to my chest.

Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    Something else to bear in mind that would almost certainly skew the results would be the fact that a huge majority of criminal incidents in US inner cities go unreported due to the higher prevalence of organised street gangs. There is certainly some parallel with that in the UK too, but nowhere near the same level.
    U.S. national statistics include the Uniform Crime Reports, which cover crimes reported to the police, and National Crime Victimization Survey, which attempts to add in unreported crime. Does the UK have something similar?
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    If I were robbed, I don't know that I'd find it tremendously comforting that the culprit held a knife to my throat rather than a gun to my chest.

That's a good point eh....guns at least make a lot of attention grabbing noise!
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    ...and off we go again...

And if they were 3ft away with a knife and 3ft away with a gun?

Of if there were two of you out, and a robber tried holding you both up with a knife, or with a gun?

I really just do not get folks who desperately try and suggest guns do not make criminal activity more efficient for the criminal. Yes crimes can still be carried out with lesser tools, but a gun is about as efficient as it gets..
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I really just do not get folks who desperately try and suggest guns do not make criminal activity more efficient for the criminal. Yes crimes can still be carried out with lesser tools, but a gun is about as efficient as it gets..
    No disrespect to people getting knifed but I'd take my chances with one over a gun.

Super Moderator

United States
    Interesting, if scary reading.

I watched Doomsday yesterday for the first time (blecch! ) and couldn't help but think of this thread.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    No disrespect to people getting knifed but I'd take my chances with one over a gun.
    With a gun there's no way you think about resisting.

I'd have to think that being robbed at knifepoint, the thought would atleast cross your mind.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post

I watched Doomsday yesterday for the first time (blecch! ).
    yeah but that chick was gorgeous...well worth watching just for her, even if she was a poor man's kate beckinsale

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    yeah but that chick was gorgeous...well worth watching just for her, even if she was a poor man's kate beckinsale
    She is hot, no doubt and I actually liked the beginning and even parts of the middle of the film. It was headed out to be a passably fun post-apoc yarn, but fell down and went on too long. Surprisingly good cast, too.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany