Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Internet During A Zombie Plague

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbieangel
    I am sorry but I have to say it...WE here in this site would be here debating the heck out of it all ..like wow those zombies really do run! or Oh $hit it really was better to stay couped up at the mall. SOrry I had to be the smartarse! I know there is one in every crowd!
    Yep. Once the windows and doors were boarded up, boredom would set in.
    A penny for the old guy.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT
    I dont know enough about power plant operations to know for sure, but it seems like many would still operate for a while with no one present. Does anyone here know for sure? IS there anyone here who either works at, or knows someone who works at, a power station? I kinda thought that they would pretty much self sufficient (other than ones running on caol, which obviously would have to be loaded up and stuff, so those would quit running when the coal ran out. But I dont think that just because there was a bunch of zombies were running around that physical power poles and phone lines would be damaged...I dont think zombies would have any interest, or much ability, to damage those. The only way those could get damaged is if the living did it on purpose, and I think we all would have more important things to do with our time if the dead walked the earth than to destroy some phone lines for our own amusement.
    Well, according to the straight dope article every unmanned powerplant (nuclear, whatever) would be down within a few weeks... Therefore making Dawn '04 unlikely and Dawn '78 impossible (the power was up there for several months).

That article really killed my dreams on any post-apocalyptic event, I always liked the idea of holing up at someplace cool like a mall or something and still have the power. Oh well.

Yea, speaking of that, did they ever explain where they got power from in Day? I'm sure all plants were down by then... There were hardly enough people to run a plant, was there some sort of generator or something?

United States
    Yea, speaking of that, did they ever explain where they got power from in Day? I'm sure all plants were down by then... There were hardly enough people to run a plant, was there some sort of generator or something?
    They never explained it. They never explained it in Land either.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT
    They never explained it in Land either.
    Well, in Land they were in a reclaimed and fortified city, which brings different, more practical questions to bare, and--to me--is less troublesome than the idea of phantom electricity flowing down the line, but we at least GAR alluded to the power issue later: "The power's off in the mainland...and all the shopping malls are closed."

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Maitreya
    Well, according to the straight dope article every unmanned powerplant (nuclear, whatever) would be down within a few weeks... Therefore making Dawn '04 unlikely and Dawn '78 impossible (the power was up there for several months).

i beleive the mall had its own generators. peter and roger say something about it while their on the roof.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    i beleive the mall had its own generators. peter and roger say something about it while their on the roof.
    The mall was run off of nuclear power. Which is what Maitreya meant by the power being non-existant for the mall by the time the 4 arrived there. If it were un-operated for that long, it would just seize to work.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    And that's fine, but generators only last so long as they have fuel, and the time span for keeping something the size of a mall at half its power needs would eat up gallons of fuel at a horrific rate. Now, they did have access to fuel for a while (the trucks, the parking lot and whatever may have been stored on hand etc.), if they ran off of gas (petrol, diesel and even natural gas and other forms of fuel can run large generators, but I'd bank on gas or diesel) there'd be plenty of fuel in the short term.

But when I say generators eat up fuel quickly that is no joke, or hyperbole. Do a google search under generator + 'fuel consumption' and take ten minutes to sample the results and you'll see what I mean.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    When Riley calls the city during Land to tell them to turn off the electrified fences the guy on the phone says that no one is answering. Makes me believe/think that the city had its only power station which was obviously running.
    A penny for the old guy.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Graebel
    When Riley calls the city during Land to tell them to turn off the electrified fences the guy on the phone says that no one is answering. Makes me believe/think that the city had its only power station which was obviously running.
    Riley also had a personal satellite which allowed him to track the Dead Reckoning via GPS,......I'm assuming.....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenochrome
    Riley also had a personal satellite which allowed him to track the Dead Reckoning via GPS,......I'm assuming.....
    Yeah, how bout that. Maybe they'd stay up for a few years? ......but knowing NASA.
    A penny for the old guy.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenochrome
    I could do that with store bought GPS technology, the only question would be how long do the power sources of the satelites in question last and how is orbital stability maintained on them? It's really not a very big head scratcher depending on how long the average satelite net for these things stay up, he could easily have found GPS-based equipment that was still working off of a sat net that had been sent up before the zombie infestation, or before the zombie holocaust got so bad as to tear down society.