Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gary Kurtz interview

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Uh...Yeah. Well, to be in the safe side I saw a Nostalgia Critic Review on it. Looks like, I did the right thing...dear goodness.
    You show great wisdom!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Yeah, wish they could've comprimised, sans Han dying.
    A darker vision for Return and the prequels would've been sweet.
    I was 11 when Return came out, even then I was like WTF with all these cuddly little fucks.
    I know it's too late to fix what's been done. I'd be happy with a heavy duty dark as shit animated teatment. Just don't make their heads wierd like in their Clones cartoon.
    Realistic and 3D.

United States
    I don't think, I like the idea of Han being killed off in the film. Wouldn't have that made the rescue from Jabba's palace pointless then?
    Eh...Ford wanted them to kill Han off in the deep freeze. He really didn't want to come back & play that character, as he felt he was pretty useless in Jedi...and he kinda was...[COLOR="Silver"]

Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    The only change I'd make to Jedi would be to show the consiquences of blowing up a 900km wide construction made of exotic metals in low orbit...
    Both of them appeared to pretty much vaporize in the explosions....

Or just place the DSII shield generator on Kashyyyk and have a believable battle scene with hordes of wookies attacking the Imperials.
    That I would have loved.

Why didn't they do that?

Was Lucas just like "Fack that!", and wanted Ewoks or was it for budgetary reasons?
    Lucas was in love with this idea of a low tech primitive people overcoming a high tech "superior" enemy. The Wookies were originally the plan, but after 3 movies of seeing Chewie piloting a space ship, repairing robots, etc, he didn't think they made a good fit any more.

The story I remember from "Skywalking: The Life & Films of George Lucas" is that when coming up with a new alien species he asked his young daughter what they looked like, who replied "Teddy bears!"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Eh...Ford wanted them to kill Han off in the deep freeze. He really didn't want to come back & play that character, as he felt he was pretty useless in Jedi...and he kinda was...
    Oh, I know. I still think it would have been a horrible idea. His death might ahve detached alot from the rest of the film though.

The story I remember from "Skywalking: The Life & Films of George Lucas" is that when coming up with a new alien species he asked his young daughter what they looked like, who replied "Teddy bears!"

Thanks for that piece of trivia. Didn't know that.

United States
    Oh, I know. I still think it would have been a horrible idea. His death might ahve detached alot from the rest of the film though.
    Agreed.

OhThanks for that piece of trivia. Didn't know that.
    I've read later that the idea was the Wookies were tall so he'd make the Ewok's short & that the name "Ewok" is "Wookiee" with the syllables reversed (and altered to resemble the name of a Native American people.)

I'm calling shenanigan's on that one though.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Having Han die was Harrison Ford's request, wasn't it? In "Empire of Dreams" Ford says that he agreed to do Empire under the circumstances that his character would die. Instead, they had him frozen with the possibility of coming back in Jedi. Seems to me like he wanted to die for good, but they weren't having it...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Having Han die was Harrison Ford's request, wasn't it? In "Empire of Dreams" Ford says that he agreed to do Empire under the circumstances that his character would die. Instead, they had him frozen with the possibility of coming back in Jedi. Seems to me like he wanted to die for good, but they weren't having it...

Wow, really? Why did he want to disassociate from the franchise so, much? I mean sure his character peaked in 'Empire' and he was probably better as, Indiana Jones anyway.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Wow, really? Why did he want to disassociate from the franchise so, much? I mean sure his character peaked in 'Empire' and he was probably better as, Indiana Jones anyway.
    It's been a while since I've seen the documentary, but I believe Indiana Jones was the reason. He didn't need SW anymore, so I cant really blame him.

England
    Actors are funny creatures...look at Heston not wanting any part of Planet of the Apes and demanding that he die in the second one...one of the most important films ever and he was like "meh, wanna do other stuff"

---------- Post added at 08:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

Both of them appeared to pretty much vaporize in the explosions....
    http://www.theforce.net/swtc/holocaust.html

It's a bit of a heavy read, but the guy is a bonafide physicist and star wars nut. I believe he has been recruited for bits of SW work since writing his article.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    It's been a while since I've seen the documentary, but I believe Indiana Jones was the reason. He didn't need SW anymore, so I cant really blame him.
    Well, that explains his bad preformance in 'Jedi' then. Maybe, they really should have killed his character off in 'Empire'.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Actors are funny creatures...look at Heston not wanting any part of Planet of the Apes and demanding that he die in the second one...one of the most important films ever and he was like "meh, wanna do other stuff"
    Huh? Heston was one of the main reasons the original film got made. He was behind it 100% from all the things i've heard. It was the sequel, Beneath the Planet of the Apes, where he wanted to be(and was) killed. Can you blame him for wanting out of that awful, unwanted, rehash of a sequel?
    Last edited by bassman; 17-Aug-2010 at 07:44 PM.

England
    Huh? Heston was one of the main reasons the original film got made. He was behind it 100% from all the things i've heard. It was the sequel, Beneath the Planet of the Apes, where he wanted to be(and was) killed. Can you blame him for wanting out of that awful, unwanted, rehash sequel?
    Sorry, I wasn't clear I know he was up for Planet, but you'd think after the reception to it that he'd want to continue his support, when really, he just wanted outa there after doing the first one.

*sigh* Nova.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Do you remember Beneath? Ugh. Horrible film.

Whenever I watch the series I just skip over it. Escape, Conquest, and Battle are all worthy of the original, but Beneath was nothing more than a cash grab that served no purpose to the story or characters. I mean....they hired a Charlton Heston look a like, FFS!

England
    Do you remember Beneath? Ugh. Horrible film.

Whenever I watch the series I just skip over it. Escape, Conquest, and Battle are all worthy of the original, but Beneath was nothing more than a cash grab that served no purpose to the story or characters. I mean....they hired a Charlton Heston look a like, FFS!
    I've been meaning to get the DVD box set for years but never get around to it...now it's out on BD but it's a bit expensive at the moment.

I'd like the hokey TV series as well, I used to watch it on sci-fi now and then...good cheesey fun.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I've been meaning to get the DVD box set for years but never get around to it...now it's out on BD but it's a bit expensive at the moment.
    I got extremely lucky and caught the blu ray box set on one of amazon's gold box deals. Got it for 40 bucks. Awesome set if you're into the series. Highly recommend it.