Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Indy 5 - Jumping a whole shoal of sharks?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    That's what I've been trying to say! It's pointless.. one is no more unrealistic than the other.
    "but, but, but....nuke the fridge! Nuke the fridge!"

The haters only line of defense.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post

That and SB... which I will admit, is not my favorite actor, but was far from distracting in Indy 4.

Super Moderator

United States

I have gone on at length before why the film sucked...seriously, the film was well below par and they had a generation of 'waiting for just the right script' and that is what they came up with.

---------- Post added at 10:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 AM ----------

That and SB... which I will admit, is not my favorite actor, but was far from distracting in Indy 4.
    I don't mind him, but he was pretty flat and ill-used in Indy 4...just sort of tacked on. Didn't SB even admit the movie sucked after the fact? Or was that internet hype? I can't even remember, to be honest.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Didn't SB even admit the movie sucked after the fact? Or was that internet hype? I can't even remember, to be honest.
    Yeah, he said that Spielberg and Lucas dropped the ball. But I think he's done that with every film he's made. I remember him bitching about Transformers and Eagle Eye, too. It's surprising the guy keeps getting work with a big mouth like that...

Super Moderator

United States
    Yeah, he said that Spielberg and Lucas dropped the ball. But I think he's done that with every film he's made. I remember him bitching about Transformers and Eagle Eye, too. It's surprising the guy keeps getting work with a big mouth like that...
    I know he supposedly bitched about Transformers 2...but Transformers and Eagle Eye hit both their marks as far as I was concerned. I mean, if you had to make a live action Transformer film...absolutely had to...I don't know how much better it could have been done.

Transformers 2 (wish I could use T2 as a short-hand, but that feels just wrong), however was pretty bad.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Ireland
    Oh come on, you can't excuse one and not the other. There was no trickery involved - you see it very plainly - he reaches in, pulls a beating heart out of the dude, and the dude was still alive (did I just use "dude" too many times? "I KNOW WHO I AM! I'm the dude, playing a dude, disgused as another dude!") - that is just as ludicrous as the damn fridge!
    Mmmm...not necessarilly. I never saw Ram's hand enter the victim. Didn't see a hole in his chest. Sure I saw a heart in Mola Rams' hand. But, that was it. There's LOADS of gray area here

That fucking fridge on the other hand...
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I never saw Ram's hand enter the victim. Didn't see a hole in his chest. Sure I saw a heart in Mola Rams' hand. But, that was it.
    Once again, you may want to give all of the films another viewing....

Go to :34

Last edited by bassman; 24-Aug-2010 at 03:44 PM.

Administrator

England

I don't get the point? The realism of a man's hand pulling out a heart? Compared to THE FRIDGE?

One is a small leap of faith - ie: Maybe it was the POV of the audience, and infact something else happened in reality. eg: He slipped a knife in there, and/or pulled out a false heart. Yadda yadda yadda...

But the other is THE FRIDGE surviving a nuclear blast and soaring through the air. If only the public in Hiroshima had such kitchen appliances! Indeed why wasn't Indy accompanied by a whole squadron of more of these nuke repellent kitched appliances as he flew through the air?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland

Hey! That's not in my copy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF????
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I don't get the point? The realism of a man's hand pulling out a heart? Compared to THE FRIDGE?

One is a small leap of faith - ie: Maybe it was the POV of the audience, and infact something else happened in reality. eg: He slipped a knife in there, and/or pulled out a false heart. Yadda yadda yadda...

But the other is THE FRIDGE surviving a nuclear blast and soaring through the air. If only the public in Hiroshima had such kitchen appliances! Indeed why wasn't Indy accompanied by a whole squadron of more of these nuke repellent kitchen appliances as he flew through the air?
    I could not agree more. I just wish the fridge was an outlier; one negative amidst a great film, but it's indicative of a lot of tacked on or outright poorly handled aspects of the film.

Damn THE FRIDGE...

Last edited by AcesandEights; 24-Aug-2010 at 04:34 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I don't get the point? The realism of a man's hand pulling out a heart? Compared to THE FRIDGE ?
    So let me get this straight. Someone can calmly pull a heart of of another's chest while that person is still living.....but surviving a nuclear blast(something that has happened in the past ) is totally inexcusable?

I give up....

Super Moderator

United States
    So let me get this straight. Someone can calmly pull a heart of of another's chest while that person is still living.....but surviving a nuclear blast(something that has happened in the past ) is totally inexcusable?

I give up....
    Come on, Bassman. You didn't read the points Neil made, did you?

Also, I thought this was funny/cool/sad depending on the POV...

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Hey! That's not in my copy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF????
    No doubt cut by the BBFC from back in the day. Not sure if it's uncut these days (probably), but yeah Temple of Doom was one of those entries that got fiddled around with by the BBFC. I've never seen that 'gore' footage either.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Come on, Bassman. You didn't read the points Neil made, did you?
    I did actually. And I would encourage him to watch the clip I posted. He clearly sticks his hand into the chest, pulls out a beating heart, and the hole heals up. How is that the POV of the audience or slight of hand? The movie is clearly set in a fantastical environment, just like ALL of the Indy films.

There are tremendous leaps of faith in all of them. I would understand if you were complaining about the monkey swinging scene because it's just silly, but the way people bitch about the fridge is ridiculous considering the equally ridiculous things that have happened in the previous films.

Imo, you guys are just hating on the new kid on the block because of your rose colored glasses of the originals. Complain about the cgi, monkeys, whatever is involved in the making of the film....but complaining about Indy surviving seemingly un-survivable situations is like complaining that Superman wears tights. It's part of the character....
    Last edited by bassman; 24-Aug-2010 at 04:47 PM.

Super Moderator

United States
    Imo, you guys are just hating on the new kid on the block because of your rose colored glasses of the originals. Complain about the cgi, monkeys, whatever is involved in the making of the film....but complaining about Indy surviving seemingly un-survivable situations is like complaining that Superman wears tights. It's part of the character....
    I've complained about several things that had to do with the film in the past, nuking the fridge is just one glaring aspect. It was tacked on, unnecessary and certainly seemed to cause enough of an issue with enough viewers to become a notorious sticking point. Fitting with the motif or not, it was a poor choice in a film project full of poor choices.

And let's be clear, using rose-tinted glasses as an argument is something that cuts both ways and is a pretty empty argument, you don't see me claiming that it's rampant fanboy hysterics leading people to champion the film. I understand it was a passable entry for some folks and...somehow...some folks even enjoyed it.

---------- Post added at 12:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    No doubt cut by the BBFC from back in the day. Not sure if it's uncut these days (probably), but yeah Temple of Doom was one of those entries that got fiddled around with by the BBFC. I've never seen that 'gore' footage either.
    Yup, I remember the film as being hailed (rightly or wrongly so) as part of the impetus for introducing the PG-13 rating in the US.
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 24-Aug-2010 at 05:05 PM.