Thread: Scott Pilgrim vs The World

Administrator

England

Scott Pilgrim vs The World

Saw it last night... Still trying to work out if I enjoyed it

That said, it's absolutely out there on a limb, which I loved. It's nice to go the cinema and see something trying to be a little bit different.

I think I'd give it a 7/10. It was good, but some of it didn't quite work for me well enough.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    And was Cera doing his usual "acting"?

England
    I dont want to see this for the same reasons I dont own an iPhone or iPod, or watch "flight of the chonchords" etc, all those geeky wavey haired cargo short wearing student/ex student types are foaming at the mouth over it!

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Yeah... I'll rent it... eventually... maybe... looks somewhat interesting.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    And was Cera doing his usual "acting"?

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    I loved it, but then i've been a fan of the books for years now AND its a goddam edgar wright movie. The pacing was off and some crucial bits from the books were missing- plus it had a different more shitty ending, but on the whole i was grinning from ear to ear as i watched it. Ceiran Kulkin totally stole the whole goddam movie, Cera was a blank slate compared to this guy who got the character of wallace wells SPOT.ON.

That said i'm kind of the target generation for this too so again my opinion isnt gonna account for shit for most of the 30 somethings or late twenty somethings who might see this in the same lame, shitty, artificial light across a generational gap like i do with films like human traffic.

Its a product of its time, its an edgar wright film, full of video gamey, hipstery, post 2000-ey indie schtik most of you will hate, but probably not enough to not enjoy what edgar has brought to it himself. Certain points in particular, like a recurring gag with a hat, are totally an edgar move you can see the exact same moves in hot fuzz and shaun. Though in some ways edgars really improved his game in terms of cinematography. He's learnt some new tricks so dont expect the same "woosh" quick pan sharp edits hes known for and something a little more varied.

I would say watch it if you liked.... im gonna say eternal sunshine of the spotless mind, hot fuzz, superbad, juno or mallrats since it seems to be little bits from all of them blended together.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    I dont want to see this for the same reasons I dont own an iPhone or iPod, or watch "flight of the chonchords" etc, all those geeky wavey haired cargo short wearing student/ex student types are foaming at the mouth over it!
    >my face when im that kinda guy.

-for the record, season 2 of chonchords was not funny. like, remotely. total one season wonder.