Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red Dead Revolution (or Redemption follow-up) rumours...

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I dunno. It wasn't horrible, but Red Dead Revolver could have used some work...
    Red Dead Revolver was being made by another company, but they made a hash of it all and Rockstar took over the studio involved and made it Rockstar *somethingeruther* and so they took what was already there and guided the team to finish it off as good as they could get it - it wasn't up to R*'s usual standard, but they felt it was finally good enough to actually be released.

There was an epic "All Your History" (eight parts I think, eeked out over as many weeks, or more) on YouTube about Rockstar in the lead-up to Red Dead Redemption coming out (and they were still putting out the final couple of parts of that series after the game had launched, sheesh!) and they talked about RDRevolver as-such.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Red Dead Revolver was being made by another company, but they made a hash of it all and Rockstar took over the studio involved and made it Rockstar *somethingeruther* and so they took what was already there and guided the team to finish it off as good as they could get it - it wasn't up to R*'s usual standard, but they felt it was finally good enough to actually be released.
    If that's the case the next installment should be even better considering the fact that they'd have control from the beginning.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    If that's the case the next installment should be even better considering the fact that they'd have control from the beginning.

Red Dead Revolver (from 2004 or something like that) is the one which was at another studio which Rockstar bought-up ... Red Dead Redemption was Rockstar from the get-go.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    I just traded in Redemption after getting to the Mexico bit - actually I didn't do any missions in Mexico I don't think - supremely disappointed by EVERYTHING rockstar has done since San Andreas, and this was a perfect example for me.

Friend of mine loves it and she (formerly he) recommended it to me - I loved the idea of a western free roaming game and I loved the sound, the graphics, the acting etc etc...all very polished...

But for me everything Rockstar does is about a snazzy script and polished graphics - can't wait til they realise they have a mandate to produce a fun and playable game to boot. Despite all these things I am close to believing that RDR is far more disappointing than GTA4 when all said and done, simply for the fact that in GTA4, you can do nothing whilst getting around pretty quickly, but in RDR you do nothing by getting around extremely slowly.

So think I'll be missing this one - and this is the only place I can say what I think about this game cos all my mates that play games are blinded by something I can't see and simply won't hear any negativity about it. Argh.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Super Moderator

UK
    Considering you detested GTA IV, I'm not surprised you hated RDR ... although I totally disagree with you. RDR is Rockstar's finest script to date, in my view. Some of the missions could do with varying up a bit ... like, in general, look beyond 'shooty mission, racey mission, shooty mission, give something to someone mission, shooty mission, racey-shooty mission' standards and try to find some other tasks for the player to do in the context of the world that is presented.

I absolutely loved RDR though.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Everytime I hear people complaining about the long travel distances, I wonder if they knew about the instant taxi coach services.

You hop in, hit your destination, and you're there. Even without it, the few times I was required to travel a hefty distance, I enjoyed the scenery and stranger "missions" along the way...
    Last edited by bassman; 09-Sep-2010 at 06:44 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Considering you detested GTA IV, I'm not surprised you hated RDR ... although I totally disagree with you. RDR is Rockstar's finest script to date, in my view. Some of the missions could do with varying up a bit ... like, in general, look beyond 'shooty mission, racey mission, shooty mission, give something to someone mission, shooty mission, racey-shooty mission' standards and try to find some other tasks for the player to do in the context of the world that is presented.

And my god man. How many cattle herding missions must we suffer through?

I'd much rather a shorter, tighter game then that nonsense.

Everytime I hear people complaining about the long travel distances, I wonder if they knew about the instant taxi coach services.

You hop in, hit your destination, and you're there. Even without it, the few times I was required to travel a hefty distance, I enjoyed the scenery and stranger "missions" along the way...
    I traveled "manually" for the perks, such as encountering people getting robbed or attacked by wild animals to get the fame points.

I also did it to get the survivalist ambient challenges as well as kill a slew of animals and sell their remains.

Hey, a brotha's gotta eat right?

Last edited by darth los; 09-Sep-2010 at 07:08 PM.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

UK
    True, the cattle herding bits were a bit naff ... but they were also kinda neat, learning little tasks and doing something that you've never had to do before in other sandboxers.

I used the coach service frequently throughout the game, after I'd yomped through the landscape on my horse a few times ... it was just a pleasure to ride horseback through the beautifully rendered landscapes that had been created, not to mention witness all the random events that would occur. It was especially rewarding when there was a storm going - wind, rain, thunder and lightening ... tearing-ass through the wilds at night during all that ... very atmospheric.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed

fair enough, I agree totally though about the script and the mission structures...
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed

Yeah I did know this but never used it. I used the camping fast travel option a few times though.

Unless it's a role playing game though I don't want to use fast travel - sure in Oblivion or Fallout 3 its totally necessary but in a free roaming game, I want to do just that - free roam - but that means the environments have got to be interesting - and RDR didn't do it for me.

I do love free roaming/GTA style games though - GTA 3, GTA Vice City, San Andreas, Assassins Creed, Saints Row, etc etc - all games played and loved by me so I'm not just buying these games to sit and slate them - I just like them to be CHOC full of cool moments and cool things to do - with empahsis on action, physics, and gameplay...Unfortunately I feel the last few offerings from Rockstar have been all about script and polish and not much else, which is a shame. I like a good story as much as the next guy but unless it's permeated with moments of "OH MY GOD THAT WAS SO COOL" then I lose interest....

Current game is now Split/Second Velocity which is pretty fun, very arcadey racer - until Halo Reach comes out