Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Movies that (you feel) have not aged well???

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Couldn't agree more with the first two sentences(obviously, if you know me). But I would be careful with that Blu Ray. It IS the best looking version of the film yet, but it's still really grainy. I think that would probably turn some people off. You shoultd show them The Dark Knight, Wizard of Oz, Caino Royale, Godfather or something like that. Those picture qualities are enough to turn even the most stubborn BR-hater over to our side.
    Yes, it is kind of grainy but it's more of a FILM GRAIN as opposed to DVD digital compression-looking grain. It makes for a good talking point - HD allows such high resolutions that the actual analogue celluloid grain of the original footage comes through. It can be part of what gives a film its characteristic look and feel. If you look at the French Connection BR, for example, it's extremely grainy, but its completely natural and deliberate, and makes the film look gritty and noirish, as it was supposed to be.

You are right though, some customers have no undestanding of the artistic applications of film grain, and want everything to look like it was shot on Digital Video. Which is a shame. But some people really go for it.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    You go too far, sir! Too far!

(Though I never particulaly liked the cheesy Flash & Highlander songs they did, but I do still think they're damnably catchy.)
    SLAP!

I stand by my words sir! Choose your second...I'll see you at dawn!

I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by The Great Gazoo View Post
    the older war movies have all been torpedoed by the ultra-realism used in modern movies & TV shows.

as for 50's scifi: I totally agree with you. many of those films, especially "the thing from another world" , are flicks that i can watch time and time again.
    Actually, I would say that they were torpedoed by the likes of 'Cross of Iron' and 'A Bridge Too Far' etc. Both made in the 70's. I think the post Vietnam audience and the fact that Hollywood was (at that point) willing to try anything made all the difference.

Unfortuantely, war movies today are settling down into "preachy mode" again and are generating their own cliches.

England
    Another thing that's really torpedoed the old war movies is that people won't stand for modern tanks with crosses painted on being passed off as third Reich era tanks, so they have to be either extremely good replicas or the real thing on screen. Any war movie worth its salt needs to use 100% accurate period gear & military terminology, or it will be picked apart by people who have actually served, historians or armchair generals. Hell even your average gamer knows what a tiger tank looks like! Films like "the battle of the bulge" and "the dirty dozen" look pretty damned bad now!
    80's actioners are pretty bad too, commando being a prime candidate! It's great to watch for sure, but modern audiences won't put up with guns that never need reloading & lead characters with god mode on!

Ireland
    Yes Trick, you're 100% correct. Films like 'The Battle of the Bulge' are laughable now.

However, even the "tiger" from 'Saving Private Ryan' fails under close inspection. It's built on a T-34 chasis. Personally, I think it looks the business. But, some purists go wild. It's the least of SPR's problems though.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Yes Trick, you're 100% correct. Films like 'The Battle of the Bulge' are laughable now.

However, even the "tiger" from 'Saving Private Ryan' fails under close inspection. It's built on a T-34 chasis. Personally, I think it looks the business. But, some purists go wild. It's the least of SPR's problems though.
    Yeah the SPR one has completely the wrong running gear, that stands out really badly, but other than that it looks good. Although hanks firing through the drivers view port is ridiculous, I've clambered around a real tiger at bovington tank museum & its safe to say that couldn't have happened! Flawed film but the d.day scene is still awesome!
    Band of brothers pulled it off much better, very accurate barring the tigers in a couple of scenes!

Ireland
    Yep, the blocks of armoured glass would have had Hank's bullets rebounding in a very dangerous fashion. However, there are cases where they were removed in the field by the drivers. It's doubtfull that they all would have been taken out though.

I can forgive Ryan's "Tigers". Like I can forgive 'Kelly's Heroes' Tigers. But at least in Ryan they attempted to get the camo correct.

Always wanted to head to Bovington myself. Haven't got over yet. Their Tiger is still running I believe. That would be a hell of a sight...(and sound).
    Last edited by shootemindehead; 10-Oct-2010 at 05:01 PM.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Yep, the blocks of armoured glass would have had Hank's bullets rebounding in a very dangerous fashion. However, there are cases where they were removed in the field by the drivers. It's doubtfull that they all would have been taken out though.

I can forgive Ryan's "Tigers". Like I can forgive 'Kelly's Heroes' Tigers. But at least in Ryan they attempted to get the camo correct.

Always wanted to head to Bovington myself. Haven't got over yet. Their Tiger is still running I believe. That would be a hell of a sight...(and sound).

Yeah its definitely worth seeing Bovingtons Tiger, they've got the engine running 100% now & it sounds a beast! cost them enough money to get it running though, but I'm pretty sure it will have recouped it with the amount of people who go there just to see that one tank! Hopefully one day it will get used in a film so we finally have one where they got it right! Although I'm sure some well done cgi could do it too now