Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Good, but overrated

United States
    I'm a pretty big fan of GAR. I'm also one of the people that criticizes GAR's movies. And I'm also one of the people who criticizes GAR outside of commenting on the movies. I've expressed a fair amount of disrespect for the man, though I believe I've kept it balanced against the things he's done well, and I've kept it fact-based.

What do I think about respect? I think respect is earned. I think respect is a two-way street. GAR's track record for being respectful of fans is weak. The respect he earned and deserved with the original trilogy has been spent.

My rationale? Land was criticised for being too message driven, sacrificing plot for social commentary. So what did he do? He made Diary 10 times more message driven. We said Diary was too much nonsense, with gag kills and characters who acted ridiculously for implausible motives. So what did he do? He made Survival, which has significantly more gag kills and such implausible characters as to make Diary seem perfectly sound.

We're not talking about a man who said, "I listened to the fans and I tried to improve." That would earn respect regardless of the quality of the movies. We're talking about a man who thumbs his nose at anyone and everyone who tries to influence him.

Emotionally overblown hate-mail is never appropriate. However, expressing disrespect in a calm and fact-based tone is legitimate.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    I'm a pretty big fan of GAR. I'm also one of the people that criticizes GAR's movies. And I'm also one of the people who criticizes GAR outside of commenting on the movies. I've expressed a fair amount of disrespect for the man, though I believe I've kept it balanced against the things he's done well, and I've kept it fact-based.

What do I think about respect? I think respect is earned. I think respect is a two-way street. GAR's track record for being respectful of fans is weak. The respect he earned and deserved with the original trilogy has been spent.

My rationale? Land was criticised for being too message driven, sacrificing plot for social commentary. So what did he do? He made Diary 10 times more message driven. We said Diary was too much nonsense, with gag kills and characters who acted ridiculously for implausible motives. So what did he do? He made Survival, which has significantly more gag kills and such implausible characters as to make Diary seem perfectly sound.

We're not talking about a man who said, "I listened to the fans and I tried to improve." That would earn respect regardless of the quality of the movies. We're talking about a man who thumbs his nose at anyone and everyone who tries to influence him.

Emotionally overblown hate-mail is never appropriate. However, expressing disrespect in a calm and fact-based tone is legitimate.
    But how is it disrespect if it's legitimate, fact based criticism?

The truth often hurts but that doesn't mean it should not be said.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    But how is it disrespect if it's legitimate, fact based criticism?

The truth often hurts but that doesn't mean it should not be said.

I tend to agree with you, but some of the previous posters have alluded to the idea that any remarks about the man himself are disrespectful, and criticims should be kept in the framework of the movies alone.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    EVERY ONE OF THESE THREADS:

a: "Nooooooo stop liking what i don't like!"

b: MY OPINION> YOUR OPINION.

c: STOP ENJOYING THINGS!

d: my taste=only correct taste.

It is a television show. i don't know what more i can say. it is an hour long television show.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    I think a lot of what we see here is the "GAR camp" versus the "WD" camp. People who love GAR are passionate, and I count myself as one of that group.
    Not really. It's entirely possible to like both Romero's DEAD and TWD, or dislike both, or dislike one but not the other, without turning the discussion into the sort of fanatical ranting usually associated with pro-sports. The latter is simply lacking perspective. Liking/disliking, praising/critiquing a work because you are fan of the genre is supposed to be what the forum is all about. But that's not the same as purporting to know better than everyone else how a director should make his own film.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    Not really. It's entirely possible to like both Romero's DEAD and TWD, or dislike both, or dislike one but not the other, without turning the discussion into the sort of fanatical ranting usually associated with pro-sports. The latter is simply lacking perspective. Liking/disliking, praising/critiquing a work because you are fan of the genre is supposed to be what the forum is all about. But that's not the same as purporting to know better than everyone else how a director should make his own film.

I agree completely, it is very possible to like both. I think that kind of goes without saying. I like both and have admitted as much so that is not even a question, but as you read the debates you do clearly see lines in the sand people are drawing. Those who defend GAR bitterly, and those who rush to crown a new zombie king whatever that means.

Again reading the debates people say things like "bashing GAR on a site dedicated to him" and items of this nature, and that is one example. Any debate has more than one side. Here you have clearly two sides... and a lot of people in the middle.

My point from the onset is why pick one? I enjoy both, and why shouldn't you?
    Last edited by Thorn; 04-Nov-2010 at 07:41 PM. Reason: to add a thought.

United States
    GAR's work stirs up strong emotions. It has since NOTLD came out. When something touches you in such deep and meaningful ways as the original trilogy did for many of us it's impossible to be emotionless about new entries. Would I hate Survival if it was a standalone movie by anyone else? No. I probably wouldn't care about it much at all. But since it is GAR and a Dead movie it taps into that place the original trilogy owns.

TWD, regardless of how much it resembles or does not resemble GAR's work, taps into the same place inside us. It's inevitable it'll be compared.

And there's no reason we can't like both, yet still compare and contrast them, pick them apart, weigh them, etc. I'll admit I tend to get hung up when people make sweeping remarks, but a consise analysis of pros/cons and apples/apples comparisons is just plain fun.
    Last edited by Trin; 04-Nov-2010 at 08:38 PM. Reason: cause I'm retarded

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    EVERY ONE OF THESE THREADS:

a: "Nooooooo stop liking what i don't like!"

b: MY OPINION> YOUR OPINION.

c: STOP ENJOYING THINGS!

d: my taste=only correct taste.

It is a television show. i don't know what more i can say. it is an hour long television show.

No you're wrong! It's less than an hour long!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    No you're wrong! It's less than an hour long!
    You're wrong! The pilot was a little bit OVER an hour. So there!

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    You're wrong! The pilot was a little bit OVER an hour. So there!
    "Time is the substance from which I am made. Time is a river which carries me along, but I am the river; it is a tiger that devours me, but I am the tiger; it is a fire that consumes me, but I am the fire."

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    "Time is the substance from which I am made. Time is a river which carries me along, but I am the river; it is a tiger that devours me, but I am the tiger; it is a fire that consumes me, but I am the fire."
    What is bullshit, Alex.

Super Moderator

United States
    What is bullshit, Alex.
    I thought we were posting parodies of how people argue online. The style I chose to emulate was the ubiquitous quote dropper.
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 04-Nov-2010 at 08:54 PM. Reason: ...

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I thought we were posting parodies of how people argue online. The style I chose to emulate was the ubiquitous quote dropper.
    I believe the style that Trin chose to emulate is Jeopardy.

Canada
    ur all so dum! I am clse frends w/ Fronk Darahbont, n i no that he thnks that hsi Tv movei si mcuh bettar then Jeorge Romeos dawn of teh lvign ded, er wtever it is called. Shit mna, I ply the film ass wel, n i wsa rigt tghere wen he waz filmign the episods. Don't fuck wit meh, i no all teh sekrts of the movies n film.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by mista_mo View Post
    ur all so dum! I am clse frends w/ Fronk Darahbont, n i no that he thnks that hsi Tv movei si mcuh bettar then Jeorge Romeos dawn of teh lvign ded, er wtever it is called.
    Ha, mo gives the people what they want!

We're not talking about a man who said, "I listened to the fans and I tried to improve."
    To be fair, which director does that?
    Last edited by DubiousComforts; 05-Nov-2010 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Jorge!