Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: George Romero who??? Darabont the new KING of zombies

Twitching

United States
    A few things about the TWD plot,
    1) About Grimes surviving unconscious & alone in the hospital: While I agree that the waste-disposal details were omitted just for the "eww factor" people don't want to deal with, as for HOW Grimes actually survived multiple days unattended I have a POSSIBLE answer for you from real life.

I'm not a doctor or a nurse, so pardon my lack of technical jargon, but I once accompanied my mother and grandmother to a long-term-care facility for individuals essentially in a protracted vegetative state. When we entered the room of the very elderly comatose neighbor-lady we'd come to see, I noticed that the IV-bag-stand had 4 bags of what looked like saline solution to me. All four bags fed into this little multiple-valve-and-clip arrangement via tube, before the tube continued on into the actual site of the IV-needle on the inside of her elbow. Curious, I asked one of the orderlies about the setup, and he told me that two of the bags were saline solution, and the other two were both mixtures of glucose, trace minerals and mild antibiotics, and that at any one time the little valve and clip setup (which he mentioned had a mechanical timer that he described as being more like a wind-up alarm clock than a computerized digital alarm clock) was regulating one bag of saline for awhile, before switching and allowing the glucose-mixture to drip for awhile. Then (assuming that no one came to modify the settings) when the first two "active bags" were depleted, it could somehow begin the alternate-drip-process all over again using the 2nd pair of bags.

Anyways, the reason I remember all this is that he mentioned that assuming the person didn't expire or need a major change of the medication, there was no reason you couldn't hang a maximum of 12 IV-bags and allow the mechanical valve system to work through the bags 2 at a time until all 12 bags were emptied. What stuck in my memory though was him saying that, ideally, there was no reason you couldn't pre-arrange to hydrate and nutritionally nourish a patient for up to a month if you set up 2 12-bag systems, and set up 2 IV-feed-sites (say, on the left and right arms) without any further human intervention.

That creeped me out, because I had visions of warehouses of human vegetables, all being sustained by a consistently alternation drip-system no more complicated than an alarm clock. I remembered thinking about that again when I first saw the Matrix, and Neo being removed from his fluid-filled-tube.

Anyways, the bottom line is that, assuming nothing goes wrong enough that you'd perish without human intervention, there's no medical reason to get in the way of getting a comatose patient all set for at least a month alone with a little prep-work up front. Now, that obviously wasn't the case for Deputy Grimes, but it could well explain say, Alice's waking-up-in-deserted-hospital scenario in Resident Evil 2: Apocalypse, or the main character in 28 Days Later.

2) How did Rick Grimes end up boxed in, surrounded and swarmed while on horseback in the outskirts of Atlanta: Rider Error. As he wheels the horse upon coming face to face with the zombie-packed street, you can see the horse's stride begin to widen to about 2-3 body lengths short of a full gallop. Unfortunately, just then Rick sees the zombies beginning to crowd the street he just came down from either side. Now, if he'd let the horse have its head it would have hit top speed at about the same time it smacked into the first couple of zombies. Instead, you can see him pull back hard and a bit to the left on the reins, bringing the horse up short as he pulls its head to the left. It's as this point Rick gets surrounded and pulled off the horse.

Had see simply laid his head across the horse's neck, leaned in and put his heels into that horse's sides a bit, several hundred pounds of horseflesh would have struck a few 150-195lbs undead bodies. Various scribes and chroniclers throughout history have done a wonderful job of describing the awful destructive power of a charging horse upon the bodies of footmen in their way, so I shall not essay to improve on their efforts. Suffice to say that Rick didn't leave Atlanta on the horse he rode in on because Rick had no faith in his mount's abilities, leading to the sad and systematic dismemberment of said steed.

United States
    This was a great rebirth of the Zombie Genre

Undisclosed
    wow! its official, GAR who? Last nights new episode of The Walking Dead was even better than the 1st episode!

Granted GAR will always be the founder of the genre, but he should have been the 1st to do this. Seriously its a dream come true, its almost like gettin a new zombie flick every week!

This is great!
    I SMELL SOME POO...

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    George is a pioneer

Nothing will ever change that.

The walking dead is giant leap in the right direction.

The torch has been passed.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    After only seeing the first episode, I wouldn't go that far at this point to call Darabont the "king" of anything.

He's a great director and a great filmmaker in general - and TWD is pretty decent.

But if I'm totally honest, the first episode was flat, had very few new ideas (the most striking moment I thought was the firing of the gun inside the tank and it's resulting deafening of our protagonist - little touches like that were very cool) and really didn't feel that exciting.

Hopefully ep2 is better. But did I get the same feeling of inspiration, excitment and joy from this show as I did from 28 DAYS, or the original Dawn? Nope. Not even close. I enjoyed it, but there's no way I came away from that pilot ep thinking that Darabont has just shat all over Romero. Not even close. It just didn't have the heart.

However ep2 sounds well promising so obviously, my opinion is subject to change.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    But did I get the same feeling of inspiration, excitment and joy from this show as I did from 28 DAYS, or the original Dawn? Nope. Not even close. I enjoyed it, but there's no way I came away from that pilot ep thinking that Darabont has just shat all over Romero. Not even close. It just didn't have the heart.
    I can agree with this sentiment somewhat, though some things have been handled with an emotionally poignant and deft hand so far, from my point of view, but I think the episodic nature and the slower timescale of how things are developing lends somewhat to what you're sensing, Symph. The true test will be after they set the table more properly, bring the cast together and set the basic tenets of the world up...then, will they be able to maintain a sense of progression and keep everyone interested? The comic could do this no question, but the mediums are different.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    I'm just enjoying a steady weekly stream of well written, well acted, well FX'ed, well directed, decent budget zombie epic.

Isn't this what we've wanted all these years?

And that's no rejection of Uncle George, or hailing Darabont as the Chosen One.

We have a great series on our hands. I plan to continue enjoying it with my friends.
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyRay View Post
    I'm just enjoying a steady weekly stream of well written, well acted, well FX'ed, well directed, decent budget zombie epic.
    Hell yes!

Hell yes!

We have a great series on our hands. I plan to continue enjoying it with my friends.
    You know my sentiment about this, by now, I trust.
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 08-Nov-2010 at 04:58 PM. Reason: ...

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Michelle MacLaren is the new king....err...Queen of zombies!

This will change on a weekly basis....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedowndead View Post
    George is a pioneer

Nothing will ever change that.

The walking dead is giant leap in the right direction.

The torch has been passed.
    well said, sir or ma'am.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I can agree with this sentiment somewhat, though some things have been handled with an emotionally poignant and deft hand so far, from my point of view, but I think the episodic nature and the slower timescale of how things are developing lends somewhat to what you're sensing, Symph. The true test will be after they set the table more properly, bring the cast together and set the basic tenets of the world up...then, will they be able to maintain a sense of progression and keep everyone interested? The comic could do this no question, but the mediums are different.
    yeah totally agree
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Undisclosed
    True i wouldn't go so far as to say Darabont is the king of zombies but, @ least he gets the genre and so far has followed the formula...unlike the recent turds trying to take on the genre!

Even thought he stole the waking up in the hospital from 28 days, stole the zombies banging on the department store windows from Dawn '78 and it hasn't got to this part yet but i believe he also is gonna steal the quarantined city from resident evil as well!

AHHH yall didn't know i was watching these things did ya? lol
    As said before its a dirty job but somebody's gotta do it!
    Last edited by DEAD BEAT; 08-Nov-2010 at 07:47 PM. Reason: ?
    I SMELL SOME POO...

United States

And that's no rejection of Uncle George, or hailing Darabont as the Chosen One.

We have a great series on our hands.
    Wholeheartedly agree

I plan to continue enjoying it with my friends.
    That's what SHE said

United States
    I plan to continue enjoying it with my friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    That's what SHE said
    Yep, she sure did!

Last edited by MoonSylver; 08-Nov-2010 at 10:36 PM. Reason: MONNNNNDAAAAYYYYY!!!!!

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DEAD BEAT View Post
    True i wouldn't go so far as to say Darabont is the king of zombies but, @ least he gets the genre and so far has followed the formula...unlike the recent turds trying to take on the genre!

Even thought he stole the waking up in the hospital from 28 days, stole the zombies banging on the department store windows from Dawn '78 and it hasn't got to this part yet but i believe he also is gonna steal the quarantined city from resident evil as well!

AHHH yall didn't know i was watching these things did ya? lol
    As said before its a dirty job but somebody's gotta do it!
    Once again it was not stolen from 28 Days Later.... Jesus can't people friggin' read. As stated this was taken from a different film way before the comic was made, which was before 28 Days later was made.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*