Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Evolution is bollocks.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchified View Post
    Who's to say that the fathers of science were wrong and we're right today?
    Just to point out, a lot of those guys were wrong. Yes, Galileo, Copernicus and Newton were all brilliant and made huge advances in science. But they've all been revised by later scientists. What I'm trying to point out is that these guys lived 300-400 years ago. Science wasn't very advanced, and the gaps were filled with religion. As for Einstein, Oh boy, I was hoping you'd go there actually...

The term "Personal god" was in no way spiritual to Einstein, nor is it to many scientists. It's unfortunate that Einstein choose to use those words because they get misinterpreted by religious people (infact, and this I do not think you'll disagree with me on, religious people have an extraordinary ability to do just that: Take things out of context and misinterpret them to suit their needs).

For proof that Einsten was atheist, one should look into his personal letters, which puts it quite simply, really. But few quotes sum it up more nicely than this one:

"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it."

From a personal letter to a friend.

The Leuba-Larson-Witham studies, conducted in 1914, 1933, and 1996 show an interesting trend. I apologize if the spacing is off on this.
    First, I would like to point out that the study you quoted only polled american scientists. America is, as we all know, a very religious society. Infact, the overall religious belief is much stronger than the 40% quoted amongst scientists!

http://religions.pewforum.org/reports

Take a gander at that. American public, roughly 80% are religious. Compare that to the 40% of American scientists, and... Couple it with this little neat poll...

http://www.blakerobertjohnson.com/re...-of-scientists

40% doesn't seem all that impressive now, after all.

Here's more information on the poll you posted:

In the 1996 poll, a mere 7% of the 400 "greater" scientists professed any belief at all. This IS a number that has been decreasing since the 1914 poll. Remember, we're still in America here...

Thanks for the info, but please don't leave anything out the next time, Okay?

United States
    My entire argument comes down to my belief that the scientists that completely dismiss even the possibility of there being a God are just as close-minded and arrogant as the religious folks that claim that God is the only truth and that science is the wrong path.
    But how can a scientist's dismissal of the possibility of a god make them close minded. Good scientists do not need to factor in the possible, or imaginary. . .unless their hypothisis is based on that subject. The best science is done without preconceptions. Religion crippled scientific discovery for hundreds of years, because scientists had to work within the paramiters of the church. When scientists were able to live lives without the fear of persecution, excommunication, or execution. . . .then science began it's true growth. Even afterwards scientist were oftwn afraid to release findings because they contradicted their own religious beliefs, or just the popular beliefs of the times.

I don't think scientists need to work under those parameters any longer. . .religion and science are not tied together. . .they are enemies. Religion has lost control of its enemy Science. . . .and it now fears the results. . .

Lucky for religion. . . people are, for the most part, stupid and easily swayed. Religion will retain its power and may even squash science under its thumb again one day. All it would take is one war, one climate event, one empire's collapse.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Ireland
    My entire argument comes down to my belief that the scientists that completely dismiss even the possibility of there being a God are just as close-minded and arrogant as the religious folks that claim that God is the only truth and that science is the wrong path.
    Unfortunately, it's an argument that doesn't hold water Mitch. The scientific mind CAN reject the notion of a god, because as I said earlier, there is ZERO proof to the contrary. Belief in a god (whatever god one happens to choose) is simply based on a persons want.

There is no objective parameters involved, nothing tangible and nothing existing that points to the possibility of such a being.

Science isn't being arrogant in this stance, it's simply following the most basic scientific principle.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....