Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Top three games of 2010

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    Starcraft II is the only current game I've played all year. I could go back and update previous years topics and put in L4D and Command & Conquer 4 and Call of Duty:World at War though.

Has no one listed Minecraft?
    love minecraft and starcraft 2 but both you can play for an hour and have seen pretty much all your gonna see till its updated or expanded upon. both great but not the best game of the year.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    love minecraft and starcraft 2 but both you can play for an hour and have seen pretty much all your gonna see till its updated or expanded upon. both great but not the best game of the year.
    At least with Starcraft II you need to delve a little deeper. The campaign game alone would take several hours to dig through. The missions are varied, rich in detail, and require enough strategy at the harder difficulty levels to be fun and replayable. The tech/purchase tree is interesting and adds some variability.

The multiplayer side of things seemed disappointing when I first started it, and mp was the main reason I bought it, but after playing through some various custom configurations and trying to up the difficulty some interesting strategies emerge. My buddies and I have been wading through the achievements and it's been a blast.

I will say that if you only played Starcraft II for an hour you could easily be left with the impression that you saw everything it had to offer. I felt that way after the first few runs.

You have to really dig RTS games like C&C or the original Starcraft to love Starcraft II.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    The thing that bugged me was after i finished the campaign was i just thought "story aside i just played a 9 hour long tutorial for an online game". Everything from the missions in the plot to the achievements are just to teach you to play starcraft and at times it put that before the actual single player campaign as its focus and whilst i love the game thats not top tier material in a very sneaky way.
    Last edited by Danny; 03-Jan-2011 at 06:57 PM. Reason: sdfdf

United States
    I wouldn't say it was top tier material either, although it's growing on me. The game is more addictive now after playing it off and on for a month than it was the first month.

The game blogs actually mention using the achievements as primers for climbing through the ranks of online play. It goes further to describe their intended progression from online teams vs. AI to online team vs. team and finally to online 1 vs 1.

I never really thought of the campaign as a glorified tutorial for online play (probably since I started the campaign after doing lots of online). I was just having fun hitting each of the missions. The story is lame, but the missions are fun. I'm sure I won't be able to play the rest of the campaign now without it seeming like a tutorial. And it will bug me now. So thanks hellsing... your job here is done!!
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

United States
    1. Red Dead Redemption
    2. Battlefield Bad Company 2
    3. Fable 3

Halo Reach was a close 3 for me, but I just liked Fable 3 a bit more.
    Last edited by DeadJonas190; 06-Jan-2011 at 02:40 AM. Reason: accidentaly posted while writing
    Check out my dvd collection @ http://jonas190.dvdaf.com/owned

My Gamertag is reculse189

Join me on Kongregate, its a cool game site
    http://www.kongregate.com?referrer=Jonas190

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadJonas190 View Post
    1. Red Dead Redemption
    2. Battlefield Bad Company 2
    3. Fable 3

Halo Reach was a close 3 for me, but I just liked Fable 3 a bit more.
    So Fable 3 worth at least a one time play through in IYO?

I hope you say yes because I've played 1 and 2 but heard nothing but shitty things about the 3rd so I've been avoiding it

Undisclosed
    1/ Super Mario Galaxy 2
    2/ Sin and Punishment 2
    3/ Dead Rising 2