Thread: Fans of Streets of Rage - you really need to see this!

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed

Fans of Streets of Rage - you really need to see this!

For those old enough to remember Streets of Rage, you'll probably have enjoyed it immensely when it was first released. Then the superior Streets of Rage 2 dawned on us in 1993 and side scrolling beat 'em ups really never got much better.

It was simply a fantastic game - unfortunately not eclipsed by the successor - Streets of Rage 3, which didn't set the world alight but did have some nice ideas.

Well the fans of this series have been VERY active over the last couple of years and I've just discovered that there's a remake out there for you to enjoy, for FREE, on the PC. It adds new levels, new characters, multiple choice destinations, new weapons, and updated music - all whilst keeping very true to the original game that we know and love.

You can download the software (71mb) from the Bomergames website - this is FREEWARE (once again) and of course is not licensed software at all. So who knows how long it'll be up there?

Version 4.1 is the current beta, and the final version 5 is to be released imminently. I've played it, and it's everything and MORE than it promises. Amazing.

weblink:
    http://www.bombergames.net/sorr_project/

Link to download:
    http://www.bombergames.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1012

Hope you enjoy this lil trip down memory lane...how this one escaped me I've no idea!
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

England
    I'll take a look! I've been playing the series on my phone through the megadrive emulator I've got & I still love it!

Oh and I still love the music from the baseball stadium level!

Last edited by Tricky; 06-Feb-2011 at 01:31 PM. Reason: epicness

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    yeah all the music's pretty funky! Love stage 1 and the end level song...and level 4...awesome all round stuff. I been walking around work saying "GRAND UPPER!"

V5 will bring a character creation tool too! So I'm gonna make myself into an SOR character...mwahaha
    Last edited by SymphonicX; 06-Feb-2011 at 01:39 PM. Reason: qwqweqwe
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

United States
    Great stuff, downloading now. If anyone ever wants to play SoR2 on XBLA, send me a message!

This will always be my favorite music from part 2, simply awesome:

England
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    I been walking around work saying "GRAND UPPER!"
    When the game first came out when I was probably around 11 years old, me & my mate thought he said "RENT A CAR!!"

United States
    I always thought it was "RED GRANDPA!"

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    another friend of mine thought it was "ra-ta-ta"

-- -------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

gotta love those 8-bit voices...

Super Moderator

UK
    I never owned a copy of Streets of Rage, or any of them, but I'd rent them or borrow them from friends and I loved playing them. The first level of the first game had great music IIRC, and I loved the female characters in the game ... for 16bit sprites they were hawt.

It was a kick ass game back in the day. I have fond memories of playing them on my Mega Drive 2 (which I still have stored away in my cupboard).

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I never owned a copy of Streets of Rage, or any of them, but I'd rent them or borrow them from friends and I loved playing them. The first level of the first game had great music IIRC, and I loved the female characters in the game ... for 16bit sprites they were hawt.

It was a kick ass game back in the day. I have fond memories of playing them on my Mega Drive 2 (which I still have stored away in my cupboard).
    My mum sold off my megadrive 1 and all the games recently....gutted. But hey, you can download an emulator and a zip file off the torrents that has every single Megadrive game released - in total comes to 3gb! Games then averaged about 3mb, its amazing now to think that this whole collection can literally fit on an iphone, particularly if jailbroken

I've played through a few levels of this "remake" now and there's some notable stuff about it.

1) you get multiple choice routes - some lead back to older levels from Streets of Rage 1.
    2) lots of characters from SOR1 are back, including the juggling dudes who throw knives at you and the girls with the whips who crouch if you beat on them too much (the other electric whip girls from SOR2 are also in there)
    3) you have a sprint ability ala SOR3
    4) also like SOR3 this game includes both the special attacks from SOR2 (Axel's flame fists for instance) and also the ability to call in an airstrike of sorts from noobtube using cops - just like SOR1
    5) two unlockable characters in the game now
    6) much better remixed music from all the SOR series (including some samples from prodigy songs stuck in there whcih is awesome)
    7) its faster, and you have options to speed up or slow down as you wish - but normal mode is definitely more fluid and paced

that's about it really, apart from what I said before. Its a worthy download and does take you back to memory lane, especially if you can get a mate round for a bit of multiplayer

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    *starts throwing some shapes*

Awww yeah, back to the 90s, yo!

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    God it's such a great game, infinitely playable - these sort of games you just don't see any more - the type where you can pick it up and start at level 1 each and every time, whilst still enjoying it as much as the last time. Adding friends into the mix makes it more and more fun each time. The remake is fantastic, just what I've been looking for!