Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Superman Returns...4 stars

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyebiter
    Went and saw Superman Returns today. While it was a fair remake, the film had some serious issues.

spoilers ahead, so if you haven't seen the movie yet don't read this

It was a fairly entertaining movie, but the script definately needed some work. If they make another film, it's time to introduce a different supervillian besides Lex Luthor or General Zod. Perhaps Brainiac?
    First things, first....it's not a remake.

2. Truth, Justice, and All that Stuff?

Personally, It didn't seem that way to me, at all. The first two films don't make it anymore obvious that they're in America(other than the shots of the New York sky line in Metropolis ). The suit was toned down? Just seemed slightly modernized, but nothing drastic. The largest difference is probably that the "S" is gone off of his cape and the red coloring isn't so bright(no more sissy-looking red boots and underwear. Finally.) I really didn't think these changes hurt the costume any.....

3. Superman as a Christ figure

This theme runs throughout the entire film. How did it not last long?

4. Green Kryptonite

He flew into space to get power from the sun just before going down to get the island. The kryptonite was harming him but he got it off the planet, anyway. This is why he falls back to Earth.

5. Tsunami

Suspension of disbelief.

Because, after all.....you're watching a film about a man with super powers that was sent to earth from an alien planet called Krypton

6. Superman in a coma

I'm guessing this is the same reason why they were trying to give him IV's only to have the needles break. They didn't know what to do really....

I agree that Lex Luther shouldn't be the main villian in the sequel. A smaller role would be okay, though.

As far as General Zod.....I hope they bring him back. Zod is a bad mother f*cker

Banned User

United States
    I loved it but I felt it was a little too long and drawn out. Overall it was worth it i thought.

Administrator

England
    I loved most of it...

Didn't feel quite enough connection between Lois and Supey...

Gene Hackman was better as Lex I feel - Although the script probably helped...

Looking forward to the next one now we're seemingly headed in the eright direction.

AND I WISH, at the start of the film they had appearing, just by itself, the text "For Christopher"... He defined the Superman we see in this film...

Not sure about super-kid, that could really bug me unless done well...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan