Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How did you feel when Ben died in Notld?

United States
    See, that's odd, Night is the one that stuck with me, probably because of its shocking, visceral impact. But Dawn & Day I can't remember...probably other than "ooooh cool...."

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    Adding a little humor here ('cause c'mon, this is a depressing thread!)...

I've said in another thread and I'll say it again, nothing would be more situationally funny than hearing the guy who shot him yell:

"Hey, that's the guy who stole my truck!" before firing.

Of course, being 1968 he probably wouldn't have said "guy".

j.p.
    Brilliant.. absolutly brilliant

Do us all a favour though, dont suggest that to russo, he may actually do it!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Brilliant.. absolutly brilliant

Do us all a favour though, dont suggest that to russo, he may actually do it!
    Andy, if he had it would have been the highlight of his, ahem, "homage".

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i believe my exact vernacular outburst was something along the lines of "WHAT IN THE FUCK?!" it was genius, superb. I had no goddamn idea it was coming which made it so much more powerful a climax for all the utterly fruitless and.or futile events that preceded it.

United States
    I was definately surprised the first time I saw it as a kid...mainly shocked because the "hero" ended up getting killed in the end, and not even in a heroic act, just a senseless accident. I have seen it so many times, it is hard to remember thoughts from the first viewing or from subsequent viewings, but I remember thinking in an early viewing that perhaps Ben was trying to commit "suicide by posse". Maybe it was a weird bit of editing, but it seems to me that they were close enough to the house for Ben to hear them, so he would have known they were getting ready to shoot him. They even say that they hear something moving around in there...Ben seemed awfully quiet to me, so if they heard him, SURELY he would have heard them. He may have been a little insane, or just so distraught at the events of the previous night that he welcomed the sweet embrace of true death, and knowing he wouldnt be walking around "like that". He may have felt guilty because at that moment he realized that Cooper was in fact correct all along, the cellar WAS the safest place.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Sometimes there are no winners, sometimes the worst case scenario does take place.
    I think the ending was harder to take because it wasn't exactly the worst case scenario. If Ben had been eaten by zombies and the undead ruled the Earth, I would have thought "well, I guess there was no way out, everyone was just doomed." But Ben died when things were getting better, he should have made it. Worse yet, he was killed not by the threat he had battling all through the movie but by what should have been his means of rescue. That was the suckerpunch.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    I think the ending was harder to take because it wasn't exactly the worst case scenario. If Ben had been eaten by zombies and the undead ruled the Earth, I would have thought "well, I guess there was no way out, everyone was just doomed." But Ben died when things were getting better, he should have made it. Worse yet, he was killed not by the threat he had battling all through the movie but by what should have been his means of rescue. That was the suckerpunch.
    Yeah, but you have to also consider all those rednecks were probably all dead and zombies within a year or less as well. Things were temporarily improving, but when you factor what was happening in the rest of the country it was not a true representation of the dire nature of events (I think the opening of "Dawn" presented the true magnitude of it very well).

Perhaps if the rest of the country had been as organized at the beginning as they were at the end of NOTLD there could have been a chance that "Day" wouldn't have come, unfortunately there was piss poor management all around.

Things fall apart, the center doesn't hold.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Super Moderator

United States
    Yeah, but you have to also consider all those rednecks were probably all dead and zombies within a year or less as well. Things were temporarily improving, but when you factor what was happening in the rest of the country it was not a true representation of the dire nature of events (I think the opening of "Dawn" presented the true magnitude of it very well).
    That's not necessarily the way someone seeing the film for the first time would have felt, though. You're attaching a knowledge and familiarity you have with the completed(?) body of work. To see the next day that things were relatively under control--whether for the interim or not; whether in only that locale or not--was jarring, and then to have the protagonist die senselessly was a brilliant kick in the balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    Agree completely!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I've always wondered if Romero intended for the situation to be over by the end of Night or if only that select group had their area under control. If you count out the things shown in the following films, Night has always felt like a resolved situation to me.
    Last edited by bassman; 30-Mar-2011 at 04:12 PM. Reason: .

United States
    @ bassman:

i kind of look at it as if the posse in night is a branch of the clean-up crew seen on the ground during the dawn gang's helicopter ride. things are for the most part under control in smaller rural areas, but all hell's broken loose in the cities and on a downhill slide.

Undisclosed
    The first time I saw NOTLD I was very surprised by the ending. To end on such a down note was a bold move for Romero, but it definitely works. What bad luck for Ben though; Survive the onslaught of the dead the whole night, only to be killed by the living the next morning. What a bummer!
    Your ignorance is exceeded only by your charm, Captain. How can we expect them to behave if we act barbarically ourselves?