Thread: Portal 2

Dying

United States

Portal 2

So this is quite a year for video games, isn't it? Uncharted 3, Gears of War 3, Resistance 3, F3AR (apparently it's the year of "3"), Arkham City, and tons more are all coming and look fantastic. I'm looking forward to more games this year than any other year I can recall.

SCREW. THEM. ALL.

Portal 2 is where it's at. It's been years since the original was released. Obviously it was a huge success, especially for a game that was basically made because the designers wanted a fun project to work on. It was funny, unique, and kind of a mindtrip when you really got the portals working.

It also features the absolute best ending credits song in the history of video games, television, cinema, and anything else that happens to have ending credits.

Portal 2 looks even better than the first one. GLaDOS is back in full swing; she makes a comment in one of the preview videos for the brand new co-op mode where she says, "And remember, much like Albert Einstein and his brother, history will only remember one of you."

That's right. Co-op. Portal with co-op. And it's a completely different plot in the co-op mode, so there's twice the portal puzzle insanity.

Is anyone else looking forward to this game as much as I am?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    grabbing it day one on the ps3- which also nets me it on steam as well

United States
    I'm pretty well jonesing for Portal 2. Game Informer did a big article on it several months ago.

Portal was pure genius. It was engaging, brilliantly conceived, challenging but not overly frustrating... and yes the ending song is never to be outdone. The whole thing was hilarious without ever breaking character. Glados was pure awesomeness.

My only concern is that Portal 2 will miss the formula that made Portal great. Bigger... prettier... cooperative... those are all good additions assuming they don't screw up the formula. And I'm not even sure what the formula is.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Dying

United States
    I picked up Portal 2 yesterday, and I can actually say something that I don't often get to: it's even better than I thought. It's just a phenomenal game, both in single player and in co-op. It's easily the best game of the year so far. Easily.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    grabbing it day one on the ps3- which also nets me it on steam as well
    Wow that's Surprising....Steam and Sony have some kinda agreement together?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    Wow that's Surprising....Steam and Sony have some kinda agreement together?
    oh yeah, its strongly rumoured that serious bank has changed hands, gabe used to be vocally against sony, now there's steam coming to the ps3, cross platform games and saves and they say the end goal is, just like the mac, you buy it on the pc you get it on all the other versions of steam if theres a version.

I can see in the long run steam combining with itunes or something and being a total juggernaut. if that happens that could be something thats decisive in future console sales. but then again the zune/xbla thing hasnt exactly been a stellar marriage has it?

Though you never know, personally if i had to choose an xbox or a ps3 as the console i also use for media and stuff? im going for ps3 yknow? my xbox is more for online games with friends, watching movies and playing long single player games is kinda the ps3's big thing for me. lets just hope in the not so long run steamworks will bring left 4 dead to the ps3, one of the few things i still own an xbox for.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Nothing to complain about here! Great game, picked it up off Steam(ing turd) the other day. If I'd realised you'd get the steam version with the ps3 version, I would have bought that...

But oh well, I still got the game and last night went through about 5 levels with a mate on co-op over the PC - we used skype on iphones as a communicator...worked brilliantly. Great game, simply brilliant. Love this kind of puzzler especially as I'm sort of not interested in shooting loads of enemies right now - so this ticks some great boxes.

Played through a good chunk of the single player too, some real headscratching moments....! Sometimes when you're amidst doing all these complicated levels you get thrown a really easy one and those throw me the most, usually ends up with me looking for a MUCH more complicated solution to something which is just obvious. No guides used yet to complete the levels.

The only gripe I may have is the lack of replay value - probs why I should have bought a hard copy first but oh well, if they keep banging out new maps for it, I'll happily buy them...they're great.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

United States
    I love me some Portal, and Portal 2 was met with great anticipation.

Is it me, or is GLaDOS probably the greatest antagonist in a video game ever created?

I've already played through the SP campaign, and what a fun journey. Now I have to set aside some time to play the MP, as well as find a partner in crime to do so.

Ok, the whole Wheatley/GLaDOS dynamic is totally hysterial in this game - and the potato battery? HAH! This is a well thought-out game, and executed almost perfectly

This probably made me laugh more than anything:

"New core, are you ready?"

W: Yes!

"Corrupted core, are you ready?"

G: No
    W: Oh yes she is!
    G: No no no no no no!

"Stalemate detected. Cannot proceed."

W: Pull me out! Pull me out! Pull me out!

"Unless a stalemate representative is present to press the stale mate resolution button"

W: leave me in! leave me in! leave me in!!!

Last edited by LouCipherr; 04-May-2011 at 01:42 PM. Reason: because Wheatley told me to do so

Dying

United States
    That part made me laugh pretty hard as well. There was one part of the game, however, that made me laugh so hard that I actually had tears in my eyes.

GLaDOS: I feel so sorry about the suprise earlier... Here, I will call your birth parents (Phone rings)
    Recorded Message: Im sorry, but the following birth parents dont love you anymore, please hang up.

There was also this gem:

Cave Johnson: Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

And just to round it off with a quote from the co-op campaign:

GLaDOS: The two of you have formed an excellent partnership, with one of you handling the cerebral challenges and the other ready to ponderously waddle into action should the test suddenly become an eating contest.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchified View Post
    That part made me laugh pretty hard as well. There was one part of the game, however, that made me laugh so hard that I actually had tears in my eyes.

She loves that whole

you were adopted
    stuff, doesn't she?

I don't think this is a spoiler of any kind, but you gotta love it when GLaDOS says "Okay look, we both said a lot of things that you are going to regret..."

I need to get around to the MP campaign - I've heard it's pretty good, but I had to get through the SP campaign first..

G: It's your old friend, deadly neurotoxin. If I were you, I'd take a deep breath. ...

W: (rolling down the neurotoxin tube and falling out) Ow! Agh! Ugh! Ungh! GAH! Ow! "'ello!"

G: I hate you so much.

For a game that was almost an afterthought (the first Portal), it certainly has captured the interest of just about everyone I know.