Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stephen Hawkins: Heaven is a fairy story...

United States
    Heaven is a fairy story?

Dude, I am SO there...
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 18-May-2011 at 12:56 PM. Reason: SPACE!

England
    I'm of the opinion that there is no heaven and hell, or gods and all that jazz, you only get one life, so live the shit out of it I didnt really know what to call that opinion until my auntys funeral at the beginning of the year, she was a Humanist, and the words spoken at the ceremony pretty much summed up what I think

Humanism is the view that we can make sense of the world using reason, experience and shared human values and that we can live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs.

Humanists seek to make the best of the one life we have by creating meaning and purpose for ourselves. We choose to take responsibility for our actions and work with others for the common good.

Humanists do not believe in a God or gods, or any other supernatural or divine entities. Humanists do not think that the universe needs a divine power outside of itself in order to have value. We, inside the universe, determine its value. We think that other people, for example, are moral concerns, not because they are made in the image of Something Else, but because of who they are in themselves.

What humanists believe

Humanism is an approach to life based on humanity and reason – humanists recognise that moral values are properly founded on human nature and experience alone and that the aims of morality should be human welfare, happiness and fulfillment. Our decisions are based on the available evidence and our assessment of the outcomes of our actions, not on any dogma or sacred text.

Humanism is a naturalistic view, encompassing atheism and agnosticism as responses to theistic claims, but is an active and ethical philosophy greater than these reactions to religion.
    Humanists believe in individual rights and freedoms, but believe that individual responsibility, social cooperation and mutual respect are just as important.
    Humanists believe that people can and will continue to find solutions to the world's problems, so that quality of life can be improved for everyone.
    Humanists are positive, gaining inspiration from our lives, art and culture, and a rich natural world.
    Humanists believe that we have only one life, it is our responsibility to make it a good life, and to live it flourishingly.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i've always considered myself a humanist, just form a logical standpoint its always made the most sense to my husky zen, dude abiding ass. but i've always made more of a connection to the term with racial, gender and cultural equality than religious belief- or lack thereof.

---------- Post added at 03:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by wayzim View Post
    That's a fair assessment, since like any spokemen for any view point, we seem to pick the nutters.
    ain't that the truth. Like i've said before what do you hear about in the media the priest helping feed starving kids in africa or the kiddy fiddling 1 in a million guy who preaches intolerance and the evils of discovery? the bad is always more sensationalist and marketable than the 'boring' good deeds done by anyone.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Keep the blonds, Moon. Hell's got the brunette's, so that's where I'll be.

United States
    LMAO @ Moonsylver

Freaking Sweet!

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    i saw "heaven is-" on the frontpage.

i breathed a sigh of relief that the ending was not "a halfpipe" and it was a cover song...
    Ha! +1

Not got an awful lot to say, but it reminded me of Enter The Void, which I just watched the other week - a movie that's mostly from the viewpoint of a dead drug dealer who was killed whilst high on DMT having recently read some of The Tibetan Book of the Dead.

I'd like to believe there was some kind of weird, super-consciousness thing beyond death, when you merge with the universe and find out everything and become everything ... or some shit like that.

I'm seriously half-serious.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    what if the reaper was real thought? sandman or discworldstyle?

personally i would have to ask him/her/it "okay, whats the most fucked up way youve seen someone die? like im talkin' worse than david keradine style shit. lay it on me"

Dying

United States
    My main problem with Stephen Hawking is not that he does or does not believe in a Heaven, but that he's as intelligent as he is but still unable to accept that he might simply not understand things that are beyond him. Shutting the door on even the possibility of there being a God is just bad science; instead of saying, "There is no God", the more correct statement is, "I do not see evidence of God." The fact of the matter is that until everything in the universe is understood (which will basically never happen), there is the possibility, no matter how low the odds, that some divinity exists somewhere out there.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchified
    The fact of the matter is that until everything in the universe is understood (which will basically never happen), there is the possibility, no matter how low the odds, that some divinity exists somewhere out there.
    Uh, I'm right here in front of you.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I'd like to believe there was some kind of weird, super-consciousness thing beyond death, when you merge with the universe and find out everything and become everything ... or some shit like that.
    You do.

I know because George Lucas told me so.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Who's that guy next to Yoda?! That's not Hayden Christiansen!1! What film is that frm?! Must be a pirated copy, lol!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    Keep the blonds, Moon. Hell's got the brunette's, so that's where I'll be.
    Mephistopheles is all about the redheads...

...duh!

Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    Who's that guy next to Yoda?! That's not Hayden Christiansen!1! What film is that frm?! Must be a pirated copy, lol!

I thought of that. But if a used a picture that featured Darth Emo in it, I'd have to stick a lightsaber up my own *HAT*hole.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 19-May-2011 at 06:03 AM. Reason: *BLEEP*

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    I always find it amusing when educated Atheists who are above 'such superstitious belief' then speak about religion as if they have a 3rd grade education (which most seem to do) regarding religion.

j.p.
    No offense to you, but that's how I feel about religion as a whole.

Both sides think the exact same thing of the opposite side. Neither side can be swayed. The battle rages on.

But, I supposed we shall see who is right (once again) after rapture doesn't happen this Saturday!

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Mephistopheles is all about the redheads...

...duh!

I thought of that. But if a used a picture that featured Darth Emo in it, I'd have to stick a lightsaber up my own *HAT*hole.
    Yep, Darth Emo indeed... Love ya, Moon.
    Hurm... that third girl is a cat, not a devil-chick... (tries to find image of World Industries comic featuring blond, brunette, and redhead demon girls and fails, but remembers it did exist at some point) Hook-Ups has done it too. God, I love skateboarding... And Star Wars. (Looks at picture of Plan B pro Star Wars series). Ah Rodney... You are SO Yoda!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Heaven is a fairy story?

Dude, I am SO there...
    Dear God! What were my four X girlfriends all thinking?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan