Thread: So very hard to believe we're in the 21st century at times - Rape honour killings!

Administrator

England

So very hard to believe we're in the 21st century at times - Rape honour killings!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-13760895

Libyan women and girls who become pregnant through rape risk being murdered by their own families in so-called "honour killings", according to aid workers.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Yep, between how barbaric 1/2 the world still is & the fact I still don't have a jet pack, raygun, or robot sex slave, I refuse to believe I'm living in the "21st century". The future this ain't.

Administrator

England
    ^^ lol!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    And wheres my friggin' flying car???

But in all seriousness, its disgusting that they still carry out these "honor killings", even here in the UK it still happens. I struggle to understand the mentality of Islam a lot of the time, and I find it just frustrating that they seem to refuse to move with the times and come out of the dark ages. I know some muslims who are perfectly fine & decent people, but I find it hard to believe that worldwide its the majority that are decent & a minority that are extremist, because it certainly doesnt look that way when you hear about these things...

Ireland
    I'd be careful about the "news" one choses to believe coming out of Libya right now. There's an awful lot of bullshit floating around.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    dude things are just as f*cked up here. It was in the news last week a cheerleader at some american high school in texas was kicked off the squad for refusing to cheer for the qaurterback who raped her and when she took it to court the judge said she was in the wrong! rape still seems tainted with the 1950's "shame on the woman" bullshit no matter where you go. why bother dealing with it properly when you can take the route to make it seem like the 'shame' she brought her family never happened?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    dude things are just as f*cked up here. It was in the news last week a cheerleader at some american high school in texas was kicked off the squad for refusing to cheer for the qaurterback who raped her and when she took it to court the judge said she was in the wrong! rape still seems tainted with the 1950's "shame on the woman" bullshit no matter where you go. why bother dealing with it properly when you can take the route to make it seem like the 'shame' she brought her family never happened?
    Link?
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Link?
    http://www.politicususa.com/en/texas-cheerleader-rape

just google it for a hundred sites reporting it, its been kind of a big deal.

Administrator

England

J-e-s-u-s C-h-r-i-s-t !

So what's the latest on this then?
    -Carl Sagan

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Holy crow. You know what? Some people are just idiots. I don't know why, but it's true. Human nature, I guess. And then, the smart people get all pretentious thinking they're better than others, and act like assholes, even if they are better. So really, it's a lose-lose. But at least I know how to deal with rape. Don't do it. And if you see someone trying to do it, stop them. It's almost as bad as killing somebody, and y'know what? At least nine times out of ten it's a dumbass man raping a perfectly good woman. That's what grinds my gills. Idiot men. Men are idiots. Not all, but a lot. Probably a greater percentile than women, but I have no data to back that up.

Administrator

England

This has got (TV?) movie written all over it!
    -Carl Sagan