Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Captain America (film)

United States
    Captain America was a decent comic book movie. One of the better Marvel films.

United States
    I saw Horrible Bosses on Thursday and, even though I wanted to see Cap, I saw Bridesmaids yesterday. I have a feeling I'm gonna jizz all over this. Green Lantern was like a false start for me. Cap will make it all better, I just know it.

United States
    So I really liked it. A very entertaining film. Maybe they tried to squeeze too much in. . but altogether a great time.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Administrator

England
    Right! Gonna see this next week!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Right! Gonna see this next week!
    Me too! Well, at the end of this week technically, but yeah.

I'm off to watch the Captain Team America spoof trailer again!

Super Moderator

United States
    I'm also going to try and see it next weekend. Saw the new Harry Potter last night with a bunch of friends. Meh.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I'm also going to try and see it next weekend. Saw the new Harry Potter last night with a bunch of friends. Meh.
    "Meh" sums up the entire Potter series for me. I've never understood the fascination. Of all the movies i've seen in the series....thay all tried very hard put me to sleep.

I'm hoping to check out Captain America in theaters, but I believe it may have to wait for dvd. A few friends saw it and said they loved it...
    Last edited by bassman; 25-Jul-2011 at 02:20 PM. Reason: .

United States
    Saw it tonight and loved it. Everything was what I wished Green Lantern should've been.
    I wanted more.
    Skinny Steve was kind of creepy at times. I was still pretty baked at the beginning, so he was freaking me out.
    Now I'm ready for more present day adventures. Not just The Avengers, which the trailer for was awesome at the end of the movie, but more of his own thangie.
    I definitely thought they did him... justice?
    Didn't see it in 3D, so I can't confirm if it makes it better, but I doubt it. Looked good enough without it.

Super Moderator

United States
    Saw it last night and was very pleased. Who would have thought they'd make a fun Captain America movie and so deftly handle the possible pitfalls of overt cheesiness.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    Saw it yesterday at the cinema.

Despite the rather ill-behaved kid (who must have been four years old) who wouldn't shut-the-fuck-up (at one point he was growling "HULK SMASH!" ), I really enjoyed the movie.

It's a notch below Iron Man for me, with these Marvel movies, but I definitely dug it more than Thor. I was also impressed with how they really invested time and effort in establishing Steve Rogers as a proper character. He really was "just a kid from Brooklyn" - a guy who you could really root for and support. I was also impressed with (not to spoil anything) the scene towards the end (you should know the one I mean if you've seen it).

What did folks think of the footage at the end of the movie? Not quite as good as Thor's post-credits sequence, but miles better than the low watermark that was Iron Man 2's piss-taking 'I'm in the desert, oh look, a massive hammer' ... and it was cool to get a taste for The Avengers, which I'm most definitely looking forward to for next year.

Administrator

England
    ^^ Going to see it a week tomorrow...

Did you see it in 2D?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK

Did you see it in 2D?
    Yes - 2D.

I think Captain America was a converted 3D film too - so I wouldn't bother whatsoever seeing it in 3D. In fact, watching it, there was nothing bar one shot of the shield flinging towards screen, and the end credits imagery, that looked intended for 3D. Everything else wouldn't have benefitted from 3D ... so I'm very glad we didn't see it in 3D as it would have been a waste of money, just like it was when I saw Thor in 3D (my worst 3D experience, hands down).

The film itself was really good fun though.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    2D? They made an animated one too? Didn't know that...

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK

Did you see it in 2D?
    if its 2001 and you still pay ful whack for 3D versions, especially the ones digitally altered to be 3D you can change your name by deedpoll to "TooL .B Agg"

Dying

United States
    My only complaint about the movie was that I wanted to see more physics-be-damned shield action. I don't care if it's unrealistic, I grew up with a Captain America whose shield could take out eighteen Hydra agents, bounce straight up off the last one to knock a helicopter out of the air, deflect off the helicopter to strike the Hubble telescope out of orbit, and return to Earth just in time to slam into M.O.D.O.K. before he could escape. Screw the Super Soldier serum, Cap's real superpower was the ability to bypass nature laws with his shield.