Thread: Lucas done with blockbuster films?

Administrator

England

Lucas done with blockbuster films?

“I’m retiring. I’m moving away from the business, from the company, from all this kind of stuff.”

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52726
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by George Lucas
    I'm retiring. I'm moving away from the business, from the company, from all this kind of stuff.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Well, hopefully he'll tell Speilberg and Ford to do what they want with the fifth Indiana Jones film.....

BTW, I can't be the only guy that has his browser freeze when he visits AICN? As if their horrid site wasn't bad enough, it's now also shutting down my browser every time I try to visit?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    if this decision had come 15 years ago it could have saved george a lot of embarrassment.
    Last edited by Mike70; 18-Jan-2012 at 03:58 PM. Reason: d
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    if this decision had come 15 years ago it could have saved george a lot of embarrassment.
    I watched The People vs George Lucas this weekend and this news doesn't surprise me if it's true. I find it ironic (and a little sad) that the film that was so popular and made him so successful also handcuffed him into a genre and never able to live up to the expectations of fans.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    I watched The People vs George Lucas this weekend and this news doesn't surprise me if it's true. I find it ironic (and a little sad) that the film that was so popular and made him so successful also handcuffed him into a genre and never able to live up to the expectations of fans.
    So is that doc worth watching then? I saw it on Netflix and was like, "Hmmmmmmmm...?
    Before my desktop crashed out for the last time for good, I watched a bunch of Star Wars docs that were on Youtube. I'm guessing they were from some of the releases on dvd. Lucas likes to say things sometimes he doesn't mean later on down the road, methinks.
    I'm still waiting on 7-9, so I hope he isn't done. Though I would like him to make them a little darker and more adult oriented...
    Last edited by rongravy; 19-Jan-2012 at 01:07 AM. Reason: woops

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    So is that doc worth watching then? I saw it on Netflix and was like, "Hmmmmmmmm...?
    Before my desktop crashed out for the last time for good, I watched a bunch of Star Wars docs that were on Youtube. I'm guessing they were from some of the releases on dvd. Lucas likes to say things sometimes he doesn't mean later on down the road, methinks.
    I'm still waiting on 7-9, so I hope he isn't done. Though I would like him to make them a little darker and more adult oriented...
    It's worth watching. Some of the fans simply amaze me with their behaviors but I guess those same fans made him very very rich. It's also very surreal to watch how some people have totally lived their lives worshipping Lucas and their world revolves around Star Wars.

And I should add the same worship fest could be said of me with zombies and Superman. Kettle, meet Pot.
    Last edited by Mr.G; 19-Jan-2012 at 01:12 AM. Reason: XXX

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    It's worth watching. Some of the fans simply amaze me with their behaviors but I guess those same fans made him very very rich. It's also very surreal to watch how some people have totally lived their lives worshipping Lucas and their world revolves around Star Wars.

And I should add the same worship fest could be said of me with zombies and Superman. Kettle, meet Pot.
    Heard that.
    I played Scene It with some kids and totally smoked them on the Superman section, as well as any Star Wars questions, and Office Space.
    And thanks for the heads up, I will be adding it to the queue.
    I think the fact that I watched the prequels only as an adult have made me alot more critical, back in the day I was definitely more willing to suspend my disbelief on alot of stuff that I might not have today. I'd still hate Jar Jar, though...