Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: "The Dead" (film)

United States
    I got to watch this last week & it f'ing rocked. I don't have enough time to read the whole thread, but at a quick glance I saw the "tin can alarm", which was my biggest gripe, but other than that, I loved nearly every minute.

Loved the setting, the zombies & how they were handled. This slow creeping relentless advance that seemed to pop out of nowhere when you lowered your guard for a second & made doing even the simplest tasks nearly impossible.

I very much read the zombies as a metaphor for death itself, & some of the comments on the commentary seemed to confirm. Just great stuff.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    I got to watch this last week & it f'ing rocked. I don't have enough time to read the whole thread, but at a quick glance I saw the "tin can alarm", which was my biggest gripe, but other than that, I loved nearly every minute.

Loved the setting, the zombies & how they were handled. This slow creeping relentless advance that seemed to pop out of nowhere when you lowered your guard for a second & made doing even the simplest tasks nearly impossible.

I very much read the zombies as a metaphor for death itself, & some of the comments on the commentary seemed to confirm. Just great stuff.
    Roger that Moonslayer! "The Dead" was one of the best zombie flicks in a long long time imo. And yuppers, their tin-can perimeter was nuts especially when considering that the lead characters were both military dudes. Maybe it's all the ancient military historical reading I do, but fortifying your encampment for the night is as easy as pancakes. The next time you go walking through a wooded environment, just try to walk over or through bushes or fallen young trees in a direction against the direction they grow in. One would very quicky come to a grinding halt while shouting something that sounds like, "HELP ME SOMEBODY!! I'M STUCK OVER HERE... LITERALLY!!" lol

Sticker bushes are another obstacle one could use to their advantage as are shallow pits dug into the ground. Again, easy as pancakes at IHOP on a sunday morning.
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 01-Mar-2012 at 09:19 PM. Reason: ed
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"

Undisclosed
    Not only is The Dead one of the best zombie films ever, I think it's the best in the genre since Romero's Day of the dead. Some on this forum said TWD holds that candle, but I can only presume they havent seen this film yet. It's that good.

It's way better than Romero's last three undead offerings, though I do not despise them as much as a very vocal group posting here.
    Still GAR should be taking notes:

- This is how you do subtext and social commentary. It's all there in The Dead for those who see(k) it. It's not shoved in your face like he did in Diary. The voice over in that film treated the audience as imbeciles. I was shouting at the screen: 'I get it George and I agree now shut this woman up!'

- This is how you deliver dread and suspense. The Dead contains a multitude of suspense moments. The opening on the beach with the main character trying to get to the weapons with the undead slowly advancing is like a textbook example of 'how to do suspense.' George should have read when dealing with the scenes on the boat in Survival. So much wasted potential with a setting like that.

- This is how you do Horror: not by means of cheap CGI but by practical effects. The budget is no excuse, The Dead is as low budget as they come.
    Those 'gag' kills in Diary and survival were just plain stupid.

I hope enough people support this film so they can do a sequel on a bigger budget. They deserve it. Surprising really the film isn't a bigger succes; Is it a bit too old school? If I were a teenager now i'm pretty sure I'd like it a whole lot better than those awfull Saw/Final destination/ what have you - franchises.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    Not only is The Dead one of the best zombie films ever, I think it's the best in the genre since Romero's Day of the dead. Some on this forum said TWD holds that candle, but I can only presume they havent seen this film yet. It's that good.
    i'll second this. "the dead" isn't a family drama masquerading as a zombie show. it is a straight up, old school horror movie that reminds me of the grand old days. i like just about everything about "the dead." it is a quiet, doom filled flick that doesn't rely on cheap ass, weepy family moments or drama to tell its story or make a point.

after giving it another chance, i've decided that TWD is just not my cup of tea and am no longer wasting my time on it. in fairness to TWD, i usually do not enjoy TV shows. there are precious few modern shows that i've ever watched from start to finish without losing interest in them. B5 and star trek: enterprise are probably the only two in my adult life that i've followed from start to finish.

i prefer the old stuff. give me the twilight zone, the outer limits, night gallery, boris karloff's thriller.
    Last edited by Mike70; 02-Mar-2012 at 01:27 PM. Reason: d
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Super Moderator

United States
    Well, first off, let me say that I think The Dead is probably the best zombie film since Day, but that's just personal taste and my desire for serious, dread-filled scenes in my zombie movies.

That said, The Dead and TWD the tv series don't present favorable means for comparison, in my eyes...at least not close comparison and labored fanboy wars over which is better. TWD has to conform to a long-form narrative arc, create consistency, cater to tv execs, cater to a huge audience with massive expectations (to keep it's budget and existence going) and be kept somewhat tv-friendly, so it has a lot keeping it from reaching its full potential; it has to do all that and has still managed to blow the doors off most zombie media put to film--pretty major accomplishment.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Well, first off, let me say that I think The Dead is probably the best zombie film since Day, but that's just personal taste and my desire for serious, dread-filled scenes in my zombie movies.

That said, The Dead and TWD the tv series don't present favorable means for comparison, in my eyes...at least not close comparison and labored fanboy wars over which is better. TWD has to conform to a long-form narrative arc, create consistency, cater to tv execs, cater to a huge audience with massive expectations (to keep it's budget and existence going) and be kept somewhat tv-friendly, so it has a lot keeping it from reaching its full potential; it has to do all that and has still managed to blow the doors off most zombie media put to film--pretty major accomplishment.
    Sure. But, as Mike pointed out; The Dead is way closer to seventies/eighties horror than anything else recently. And it wasn't me who stated 'TWD is the best thing in the genre since day.' Its an opinion shared by many people and i was reacting to that. I do not dislike TWD but to me the best the zombie genre had to offer these past few years is The Dead.
    i can heartily recommend it to any TWD fan who wants to experience some old school horror not bound by tv regulations and what have you.
    Last edited by krisvds; 02-Mar-2012 at 02:48 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

United States
    Sure. But, as Mike pointed out; The Dead is way closer to seventies/eighties horror than anything else recently. And it wasn't me who stated 'TWD is the best thing in the genre since day.' Its an opinion shared by many people and i was reacting to that.
    I actually felt that way about TWD, and still think it's is pretty damned awesome, but the Dead is scarier, more bleak and that's what I respond to.

I think the biggest strength TWD may have in comparison would probably be the scope of the post-apocalypse, which is a given in a continuing storyline with its budget.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Undisclosed
    I actually felt that way about TWD, and still think it's is pretty damned awesome, but the Dead is scarier, more bleak and that's what I respond to.

I think the biggest strength TWD may have in comparison would probably be the scope of the post-apocalypse, which is a given in a continuing storyline with its budget.
    True. It's why i like the comic so much and to a lesser extent the tv series. The fact that we keep following these characters through zombie apocalypse for a long time hasn't been done before and is really cool. That and the fact Kirkman isn't afraid to kill off his main characters (though in the tv series they are a bit more coy about this, maybe soon ...)

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    but the Dead is scarier, more bleak and that's what I respond to.
    i know you can't hear it in NY but that got a full on, encore level clap out of me.

in my opinion, "the dead" is the movie we've been waiting for for eons. sure it has its quirks and isn't perfect (what the hell is in this frakked up 'verse) but is far more representative of what i want to see in a horror movie in the zombie genre than TWD could ever be. that is simply my view on it. it is neither right nor wrong and if you prefer TWD fine. if you prefer "le horde" fine (that's a great flick too by the way). in the end, subjective things like art come down to the taste of viewer. my taste leans far more towards the bleak, quiet desperation of "the dead" than the histrionics on display in things like TWD.

Undisclosed
    Do you know what sucks? I was the one, who discovered this movie and the first to post about it. But I will probably be the last one on here to view it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    Do you know what sucks? I was the one, who discovered this movie and the first to post about it. But I will probably be the last one on here to view it.

sorry slickster, i couldn't help a chuckle over that. that does suck. but i'll assure you that once you see the movie you'll be even more pissed off that it took you so long to see it.

it has finally been released over here.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    If it makes you feel any better, I only just saw it over the last week. It's finally out for purchase in the US, so hopefully you'll get a chance to see it soon(ish)!

United States
    Again, the only things I would tweek concerning "The Dead" would be getting rid of the glowing eyes (what could possibly cause eyes to glow anyway), and two trained military dudes making some in my opinion very "unmiltary" decisions (e.g. the infamous tin-can perimeter idea).
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"

Being Attacked

England
    Saw this two years ago at Frightfest (really should get the DVD and rewatch). Loved the unfamiliar landscape the film was set in and the suspense that was built up throughout. But I do remember feeling the film began to drag by the end and thinking the ending was a little muddled. Nice to see a different setting for a change and remember the crew being really passionate about their film at the Q&A after.
    Looks like the directors have written a book called 'Surviving The Dead' about the experience Of making the film (which sounds as horror packed as the film)

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarr View Post
    Again, the only things I would tweek concerning "The Dead" would be getting rid of the glowing eyes (what could possibly cause eyes to glow anyway), and two trained military dudes making some in my opinion very "unmiltary" decisions (e.g. the infamous tin-can perimeter idea).
    What else could they do...they were both exhausted and needing rest IMO. Not saying it was ideal, but I don't see what else they could have done if they were both totally knackered.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon