Thread: Listening to (Punk/New Wave genre)

Administrator

England

Listening to (Punk/New Wave genre)

One of my biggest childhood regrets is never seeing Toyah in concert.

She (to this day) is a bit of a idol for me and I frequently listen to her early (punk/new wave) albums... Finally going to see her in the flesh in just over two weeks! Only taken me nearly 30yrs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJhu4Db_pfA

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Finally going to see her in the flesh in just over two weeks! Only taken me nearly 30yrs!
    Congrats. It only took me 23 to finally see Duran and, thankfully, it was during the reunion so I got to see Andy with them. Get yo freak on!!!
    Never heard her before, but she was a cutie.
    As far as punk GAWDS, I saw IDOL, Mick Jones with BADII, and THE ROTTEN ONE with PiL all in 1990, different shows. Still waiting to catch ADAM ANT.
    Sooooooooooooooooon...
    (I hope)

Administrator

England
    Visage and Ultravox have absolutely no right to sound so cool with 30+ year old synths!

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Toyah used to scare me when I was a kid.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Toyah used to scare me when I was a kid.
    Saw her on Saturday where I was right up at the stage! She did a grand job! Infact, I might go and see her in Brighton in Nov for her last tour date...

I was really f***ing annoyed though as I recorded her getting X thousand people to sing her happy b-day, followed by her final song... Only to find out I hadn't pressed record
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Bugger...I hate that.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Saw her on Saturday where I was right up at the stage! She did a grand job! Infact, I might go and see her in Brighton in Nov for her last tour date...

I was really f***ing annoyed though as I recorded her getting X thousand people to sing her happy b-day, followed by her final song... Only to find out I hadn't pressed record
    -Carl Sagan

Banned
    Banned User

Aaland
    I've got this going right now.

Administrator

England
    Punk tracks from my youth...

-Carl Sagan

United States
    I'm a big Oingo Boingo fan myself...

Last edited by 3pidemiC; 22-May-2012 at 10:52 AM. Reason: typo

Administrator

England
    ^^ Wow! Never even heard of these guys! Are you yanks familiar with Visage and Ultravox? http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/s...l=1#post284229
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ Markham View Post
    I've got this going right now.

holy shite is that a great song or what. that's one of those tunes where a band captures something special. i've never thought any of their other stuff was even half as good. i listen to just about anything outside of country/western & opera. totally depends on what mood i'm in. i'm probably one of the few people that has the silversun pickups, slayer, sonic youth, soundgarden,steely dan and the sundays in a row on their itunes playlist.

i've always been partial to this version:

Last edited by Mike70; 24-May-2012 at 01:02 AM. Reason: d
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    ^^ Wow! Never even heard of these guys! Are you yanks familiar with Visage and Ultravox? http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/s...l=1#post284229
    I also have never heard of them! Always good to find out about new bands though.

Keep discovering new Boingo songs, there is a ton of great ones!

Also their singer, Danny Elfman, is a famous composer. People know him for his work on just about every Tim Burton movie and for composing The Simpsons theme.

Zombie Flesh Eater

England
    Punk is pretty much my thing and has been since I was a kid. It is a part of who I am. I know more than just a few people in the punk world (or related to it) and have recently started interviewing them, in fact I'll be interviewing Glen Matlock soon for my Sid Vicious archive. In the meanwhile here's one I did earlier in the year, when I looked like a Norwegian black metaller.

Apart from the Pistols and all the others I've rambled about here in the past, I have to say that one of my favourites is X-Ray Spex. I wish I could have seen Poly Styrene before she died last year. I quite like John Cooper Clarke too.
    Last edited by capncnut; 06-Jun-2012 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Fix link

The George A. Romero Fan Assembly @ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/geor...rofanassembly/

Undisclosed
    I know I know, these guys arent punk, nor are they new wave. But their music is firmly rooted in both traditions. I guess they just made it their own, and are still touring the festivals this summer to teeangers all over europe. Which makes them kinda like the rolling stones of (insert genre).
    The new line up includes Reeves Gabrels of Tin Machine/Bowie's 'outside' period fame and they sound surprisingly good.
    Here's some childhood nostalgia: