Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: "Pontypool"....anyone seen it yet???

Undisclosed
    Pontypool was on satelite again a couple weeks ago and could only get through about 20 minutes before I turned to something else. I still think the film maker's social commentary was about the Quebec Secessionist movement vs. english speaking Canadians, who by mere usage of the language, want to be and are no different from violent, murderous and mindless Americans.

IMO, Dead Air was a much better "radio host" zombie movie.

United States
    It was not a bad movie. The atmosphere was good and I liked the characters. I enjoyed the tension and the "trapped in" feeling.

I did not mind the premise but it was very poorly executed.

The idea that language could lead to some mental state is not implausible. Plenty of sounds and sound combinations have been proven to alter mental state. But a "virus" that "infects" language is hard to swallow.

But even that was within my ability to suspend disbelief. Where it failed was when the people started to figure out things that were way beyond what was immediately obvious or derivable from their situation. The character of the doctor was awful. He either needed to enter the scene knowing things based on his medical observations or he needed to just not know stuff. His figuring it out during the scenes was implausible. And what he was observing could've led to many disfferent conclusions.

They also kept violating their own semi-established rules. The DJ guy started to succumb to the "virus" ... then didn't. Which conflicted with it being an infection that spreads. They could seemingly talk all they wanted without becoming infected, yet outsiders got infected with one stray word.

It was just poorly thought out.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    good movie, but its no dead air