Thread: J. Michael Straczynski pandemic TV series

Administrator

England

J. Michael Straczynski pandemic TV series

http://www.deadline.com/2012/08/abc-...a/#more-324515

ABC has put in development a pandemic thriller drama from Overbrook Entertainment, the company co-founded by Will Smith and James Lassiter.

Lassiter and Overbrook partner Jada Pinkett Smith are executive producing the project, written/executive produced by Babylon 5 creator J. Michael Straczynski and financed by Georgeville Television, the independent TV studio co-founded earlier this year by producer Marc Rosen and Leon Clarance of Motion Picture Capital, the financing arm of Reliance Entertainment. The untitled project is described as a high-octane pandemic thriller that combines closed-ended procedural and serialized elements.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I'm all ears. I haven't seen Babylon 5, but I read Superman: Earth One, and I liked it. I also thought Contagion was one of the best films of 2011, if not the best, and much in part because of it's subject matter.

Administrator

England
    Babylon 5 has dated some what, but it still has some great moments in it!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Babylon 5 has dated some what, but it still has some great moments in it!
    in Valen's name, what do you mean by dated? the special effects? sure they are. it was one of the first shows to go all digital and that is bound to look a bit off by today's standards (then again, 2010 has special effects that are easily the equal of anything today and that was done in like '82- but that is another thread).

the thing that always attracted me to B5 was the writing. B5 contains some of the best written sci-fi ever, be it movies, tv, whatever.

there are so many outstanding moments in that series that i don't think i could ever call it dated - unless you are talking about the effects, then i'm in agreement.

as for this proposed show, i really hope it comes off because JMS is one of the few original talents left in the world.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    in Valen's name, what do you mean by dated? the special effects? sure they are. it was one of the first shows to go all digital and that is bound to look a bit off by today's standards (then again, 2010 has special effects that are easily the equal of anything today and that was done in like '82- but that is another thread).

the thing that always attracted me to B5 was the writing. B5 contains some of the best written sci-fi ever, be it movies, tv, whatever.

there are so many outstanding moments in that series that i don't think i could ever call it dated - unless you are talking about the effects, then i'm in agreement.

as for this proposed show, i really hope it comes off because JMS is one of the few original talents left in the world.
    By dated, I mean the overall production feel. It's obviously not upto modern standards/styles, especially the first series or so. But yes, alot of the writing is excellent at that is of course the crowning glory of the series! I'm in the process of watching the ENTIRE series at the moment, and just starting series 5 now!
    -Carl Sagan

Twitching

Undisclosed
    and just starting series 5 now!
    DON'T!!!!
    You'll ruin a good meal.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Rottedfreak View Post
    DON'T!!!!
    You'll ruin a good meal.
    Oh come on! The final episode is one of the pinacles of the series IMHO!
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Oh come on! The final episode is one of the pinacles of the series IMHO!
    "Sleeping in Light" is one of the greatest things ever done in the sci-fi genre. it is an absolutely beautiful end to a great, great show.

it ranks right up there with "The Inner Light", a Star Trek: TNG ep.

"The Deconstruction of Falling Stars" and "Interludes and Examinations" are among my other fav eps.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."