Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SONY files patent to end second-hand games...

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    The patent is not restricted to games either. Big whispers that they will implement the disc-tag tech into Blu-Ray players as well...
    An even bigger F-YOU to customers. I thought Blu-Ray was supposed to do away with region coding, and yet it was still there, but it's there really inconsistently. I've got Blue Velvet on imported BR because the UK release didn't have the newly discovered 50 minutes of deleted scenes on it. Now, I checked blu-ray.com and they said that it was region free - which it is - and yet the back cover still has the "A" logo on the back, despite being region free.

On the other hand you get something like the anniversary release of Evil Dead 1 or 2 on BR, and they're region locked. Why should I have to go to the hassle of getting an unlocked player, or getting updates for other territories etc ... if I'm buying the ruddy disc, that should be good enough, I'm doing what they want, for me to not pirate their content, and yet they're just pissing me off anyway by with-holding releases that I really want to spend my cash on in my own territory ... knob'eds.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    An even bigger F-YOU to customers. I thought Blu-Ray was supposed to do away with region coding, and yet it was still there, but it's there really inconsistently.
    That's one of the MANY reasons HD-DVD should've won. No region coding.

F Sony. I hate that company more than I hate... Death Proof.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 14-Jan-2013 at 04:30 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

England
    There is the possibility that Sony will not implement this during the next generation and are merely covering their asses for when such a system is (inevitably) introduced. I guess the worrying thing is that they haven't responded to the backlash yet.

The George A. Romero Fan Assembly @ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/geor...rofanassembly/