Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about "Day of the Dead" ending

Undisclosed
    I think it's simple, the movie started with a dream sequence, why not end it with one???
    It seemed to be part of the whole scheme of the film, dream in the beginning, dream about miguel, then a dream once the terror has passed...
    designs-n-creations.com

Sometimes dead is better....

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    She gets to that island and thats it! a happy ending

United States
    i always figured it was a dream

the beginning tho, wicked, very moving

sorta gives ya chills seeing how bad it became

Undisclosed
    ok this is what i think happend.

every thing in the movie happend but when they escape to get to the helicopter i think that there was no zombie inside i think they just escaped in the helicopter and went to the island and im sure they stayed at the island for awhile and i guess one night she had a dream about what happend when she was at the silo.

remember at the beginning what date the calander was and then what date the calander was on the island. i think the movie was like 3-5 days and when she woke up on the island maybe they were there for a day or too. it looked nice on the island i would love to go there even if all that wasent goin on.

so yeah the whole movie it really happend just except for the zombie in the helicopter and they just went to the island from there. see its simple.

X-box live GT: Fallenunder

My myspace is www.myspace.com/epri

http://www.thelivingdead.informe.com/
    We're dead, We're all messed up...

Undisclosed

It was a dream sequence.

Romero put three of them in DAY (three is the magic number).

The first one when she is dreaming about the hands coming through the wall.

The second is of Miguel spilling his guts.

The third is the zombies in the chopper at the end.

It's just her mind messing with her constantly. It's her nightmare she can't get away from.
    "Totally Togepi!"

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by axlish
    Deadman's or Minion's, one or the other is the answer. I am leaning towards Minion's because why the hell would a couple of zombies be hanging out in a helicopter with the doors closed?
    Probs hoping to catch a ride

Twitching

Undisclosed
    that island they landed on, was it one of the leper ones?

Undisclosed

My thoughts

She WAS dreaming...

You never cut scenes quickly in a movie to someone suddenly waking up unless you are trying to tell the audience, "what you just saw was a dream"

I think everyone can agree so far.

How much of the movie was her dream?

I think it could be the whole movie just about....she could have dreamt of the days leading up to the escape.

Or it could have been just the final few mins of the movie...

I have no idea on this one.

Another thing...I dont remmeber how many days are 'X'ed off on her homemade calendar, that would tell you at least how long they have been there.

ViP

United States
    Also...

Romero would have rather cut in a good scare than show the three of them

a)find the chopper, crank her up and fly away
    b)search and find the island
    c)land the chopper, set up camp and start fishing

You tell me what is easier. Cutting in a scare and jump cutting to several days later, or using options a, b & c?

Super Moderator

UK
    I think Day of the Dead takes place over about 5 days, if I'm not mistaken she was crossing off November 4th at the end of the movie and at the beginning she was crossing off October 31st (albeit in a dream, but let's assume she was dreaming about the same day she was living in reality).

Aye, I'd say Day is set over a handful of days.

Christmas Island
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDNA
    How much of the movie was her dream?

I think it could be the whole movie just about....she could have dreamt of the days leading up to the escape.

Or it could have been just the final few mins of the movie...

I have no idea on this one.

Another thing...I dont remmeber how many days are 'X'ed off on her homemade calendar, that would tell you at least how long they have been there.
    I always felt the dream sequence began when the film cuts in a sort of dreamy way from the feast scene in the cave to when you see the three of them running towards the locked fence. The look of the zombies approaching the helicopter, in an unusually organized fashion, also looked like something from a dream.

Super Moderator

UK
    I always felt the dream sequence began when the film cuts in a sort of dreamy way from the feast scene in the cave to when you see the three of them running towards the locked fence. The look of the zombies approaching the helicopter, in an unusually organized fashion, also looked like something from a dream.
    I have the exact same sentiments regarding the transition from the dream sequence (which is somewhat dreamy in itself ... a bridge if you will for Sarah's dream) to the chopper bit was quite dreamy. I feel that the events during the film are "as it happened", but with the escape to the chopper being in Sarah's dream it feels to me that she'd also been dreaming about the events we'd seen in the movie ... as if she was watching the movie with us. But what we saw wasn't a dreamed recreation, but "as is". The segway into her final dream is where we join her version of events in her sleep...

United States

Sara ...

" I was told Sarah Conner is here , I need to speak wif' her "... " You cant speak with her , shes' making a statement ." Pencil scratches ... Day Begins with a dream seaquence , ends with one , simple , brilliant . George A. Romero master of non-intrusive story telling ...Hello ? Is some one there ? Hello ? Hey stop!! Hey AAAAARRRRRGGGHHH!!!!!
    "Goodbye , I am gone."