Thread: Birds Of Prey (film)

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Birds Of Prey (film)

After audiences seemed to respond well to Suicide Squad, regardless of it’s quality, there have seemingly been about ten different projects in the works for Margot Robbie’s Harley Quinn. This one has made it to production, being released almost exactly one year from now. The full title is a damn mouthful: Birds Of Prey: Or the Fantabulous Emancipation Of One Harley Quinn

Most people enjoyed Robbie’s interpretation of Quinn, myself included, but what makes me more interested in this spin off is that they’ve assembled quite a cast: Ewan McGregor as villain Black Mask, Mary Elizabeth Winstead () as Huntress, Rosie Perez as Renee Montoya, Jurnee Smollet-Bell as Black Canary, and Ella Jay Basco as Cassandra Cain. I’ve been waiting to see a film adaptation of famous villain, Black Mask for many years, and the casting of McGregor in the role has me excited.

Today Robbie shared a “teaser trailer” for the film. Really it’s just footage of their wardrobe tests, but I suppose it’s proof the film is actually happening. WB/DC has hit it’s financial stride with Wonder Woman and Aquaman, but I have my fingers crossed they can pull out all the stops with this one and also deliver a well reviewed/received film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=956CniJoQnE
    Last edited by bassman; 28-Jan-2019 at 06:15 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Aye, while Suicide Squad has myriad issues, it's still a movie that I really enjoyed (and Robbie as Harley Quinn plays a big role in that). SS felt the most comic booky of comic book films, by which I mean, it really did feel like a comic book in terms of its storytelling and visual presentation (e.g. those brief and punchy character intros). A bit more finesse is required when it comes to dialogue (Rick Flag's intro of Katana was so blunt and expositiony, although ironically felt right out of the pages of a comic book).

Hopefully this one keeps the good things Suicide Squad gave us, and improves on the iffy things that it stumbled with ... and no more 'CGI villain fills the third act' stuff, we've had plenty of that, ta.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    (Rick Flag's intro of Katana was so blunt and expositiony, although ironically felt right out of the pages of a comic book).
    Ah, yes. The wonderful “This is Katana. I’d advise you don’t cross her because her sword captures the souls of it’s victims.” Wowza. She served no purpose and had no reason to be in the film, anyway.

Hopefully this one keeps the good things Suicide Squad gave us, and improves on the iffy things that it stumbled with ... and no more 'CGI villain fills the third act' stuff, we've had plenty of that, ta.
    Indeed, that trope is beyond being played out. That’s one of the things that worked so well in The Dark Knight. It was a very personal ending between Batman, Gordon, and Dent. No giant sky beam or big end-of-the-world CGI villain, just a conclusion for the characters.
    Last edited by bassman; 29-Jan-2019 at 04:49 PM. Reason: .