Thread: MIDWAY (film 2019)

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed

MIDWAY (film 2019)

Well, I'm a big history buff. World war 2 in particular, and I find the pacific campaign to be very interesting. I wanted to see this.

I enjoyed the film for it's setting it doesn't really get too much into the nitty-gritty details of all the events that played out. It's an action film through and through. Almost none of the trial-and-error that the US navy underwent during the period is presented or accounted for. The heroes are gungho, they win through bravado rather than cunning etc, etc.

Having said that it's a cinematic movie. Lots of action, dogfights, etc. etc. They did include some interesting historical details, like the faulty Mark XIV torpedoes and the ruse to give away the identity of AF.

I would love to see another, more historical drama focused film, on the non-stop evolvement of US tactics, strategy and armaments in the Pacific tho. It undergone a constant learning process. Everything from combating the Japanese planes greater maneuverability through the Thach weave-tactic (employed at Midway, but not depicted in the film) to the recognition of need of improved coordination between ships and development of the Combat information center (that "Radar room"- depicted onboard every US battleship in every Tom Clancy-thriller you've ever seen).

The film could also focused more on Midway, and less on Pearl Harbor, Marshall Islands raid, Battle of the Coral Sea... Sometimes defeats and setbacks are better portrayed by the worried expression on those in command receiving the news. In addition, the Doolittle-raid is thrown in there. Why? It's got fuck all to do with Midway.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 10-Nov-2019 at 10:52 AM. Reason: sfdsfsd

Ireland
    Looks a bit like 'Pearl Harbor'.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....