Thread: Escape From New York - Alternative/original beginning

Administrator

England

Escape From New York - Alternative/original beginning

Well well well... Never knew about this...

This 7min scene was originally the start of the film, but after audience tests it was removed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsLT-zRWWdQ
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Yeh, the bank robbery scene never really worked. It feels off kilter to the rest of the film. It was much better just to be introduced to the main character as we are in the theatrical cut and it makes the over all movie a lot snappier.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Yeah, it's an interesting curio as a deleted scene on your DVD or Blu-Ray, but it would have really sapped the oomph from the beginning of the movie. The JLC narrated intro to the world is far more effective, and Snake being this mysterious character with a murky past that's only alluded to with little snatches of dialogue works quite well, I think.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Yeah, it's an interesting curio as a deleted scene on your DVD or Blu-Ray, but it would have really sapped the oomph from the beginning of the movie. The JLC narrated intro to the world is far more effective, and Snake being this mysterious character with a murky past that's only alluded to with little snatches of dialogue works quite well, I think.
    It's funny, I only found out that that was Curtis recently. I always thought it was Carpenter's missus.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    It's funny, I only found out that that was Curtis recently.
    Yeh me too... It doesn't sound like her obviously. Sounds like they slowed her voice down a little?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBWC2p_T738
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Being Attacked

United States
    Kurt Russell just had a bad run in with Hollywood. He was in so many films (as a star) that had way too many problems. The Thing had a ton of problems at release, Soldier didn't do so well, they cut a sequence out of the intro of escape from NY, Big trouble in little china had a lot of controversy with representation (didn't do well either/cult classic now though haha!).

It's so nice to see him in a gnarly Quentin Tarantino film though.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Daoyinyang View Post
    Kurt Russell just had a bad run in with Hollywood. He was in so many films (as a star) that had way too many problems. The Thing had a ton of problems at release, Soldier didn't do so well, they cut a sequence out of the intro of escape from NY, Big trouble in little china had a lot of controversy with representation (didn't do well either/cult classic now though haha!).

It's so nice to see him in a gnarly Quentin Tarantino film though.
    They talked about a new EfNY film, with him and his son... And his real son looks like he could actually pull of the role of Snake's son too!

There was also talk of remaking the original with his son too!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    They talked about a new EfNY film, with him and his son... And his real son looks like he could actually pull of the role of Snake's son too!

There was also talk of remaking the original with his son too!
    Was there talk of Russell's son being in it? I know we talked about that idea here on HPOTD, but can't recall if it was in the wider talk about the project officially.

That would be the best way - rather than remake, sequelise - have Wyatt Russell take the lead as 'Son of Snake' and have Kurt Russell cameo at some point (without killing him off - you can't kill Snake Plissken!)

You could pick up where Escape From L.A. left off, fast forward however many years, and there you go.

Rising

United States
    Was there talk of Russell's son being in it? I know we talked about that idea here on HPOTD, but can't recall if it was in the wider talk about the project officially.

That would be the best way - rather than remake, sequelise - have Wyatt Russell take the lead as 'Son of Snake' and have Kurt Russell cameo at some point (without killing him off - you can't kill Snake Plissken!)

You could pick up where Escape From L.A. left off, fast forward however many years, and there you go.
    Or better yet: just completely ignore, forget and disown Escape from L.A., it never happened! Pick up where Escape from New York left off.

Also, Wyatt Russell is not really like his dad. Not the "tough hombre" action hero type. He's good for roles like the one he played on AMC's Lodge 49: the scruffy, laid-back, carefree, and rather bumbling slacker "dude" types.
    Last edited by JDP; 20-Jun-2020 at 11:53 AM. Reason: ;

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Or better yet: just completely ignore, forget and disown Escape from L.A., it never happened! Pick up where Escape from New York left off.

Also, Wyatt Russell is not really like his dad. Not the "tough hombre" action hero type. He's good for roles like the one he played on AMC's Lodge 49: the scruffy, laid-back, carefree, and rather bumbling slacker "dude" types.
    He did some 'leading hero' type stuff in that WW2 monster movie (the name escapes me), and he played a properly nasty piece of work in a supporting role in "Cold In July" (good film, worth watching). I suppose he just needs to find an edgier, tougher anti-hero role to try his chops out on that.

Ireland
    Or how about just leaving 'Escape From New York' alone and not sullying its memory with another piss poor sequel/reboot.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Or how about just leaving 'Escape From New York' alone and not sullying its memory with another piss poor sequel/reboot.
    Yeah, or that.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    He did some 'leading hero' type stuff in that WW2 monster movie (the name escapes me), and he played a properly nasty piece of work in a supporting role in "Cold In July" (good film, worth watching). I suppose he just needs to find an edgier, tougher anti-hero role to try his chops out on that.
    Overlord. LOVED that movie and his role felt like his father’s early works.