Thread: Das Boot (TV series)

Administrator

England

Das Boot (TV series)

Just gone through season 1 & 2 of this and generally quite enjoyed it! (Not seen the 1980s film)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiUw4V-CIho
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I've not seen the TV show (had totally forgotten about it, and was surprised to see a second season was suddenly on telly!) ... I have seen the film, though. You should watch the film.

Ireland
    Watch the first series and it was bloody awful. Complete and utter rubbish. So, that's where that will end for me.

As for the original, I consider it one of the finest, if not the finest example of a series set during the war. There's no bullshit...it just tries to stick as much to reality as it can. Had it on DVD for years and recently bought the Blu-ray.

I can count the amount of good war movies on the fingers of one hand, but 'Das Boot' is one of the very few efforts that can be counted as genuinely worthwhile for its effort at realism. It's an absolute must for anyone interested in the war in the Atlantic, or WWII in general.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Watch the first series and it was bloody awful. Complete and utter rubbish. So, that's where that will end for me.
    Oh! I quite enjoyed it
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I'd probably be more inclined to watch it if it didn't carry the title "Das boot". As it stands I'm just confused as to why they want to make the connection.

Ireland
    Because it guarantees at least a passing interest from people who liked the original. It's a bit of name rape really. Especially considering that we don't even see much of the U-Boat in question for a lot of S1. It's too wrapped up in it's bullshit French Resistance nonsense in Lorient, so Vicky Kreips can be the star.

Should have been called 'Was Boot?'

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Because it guarantees at least a passing interest from people who liked the original. It's a bit of name rape really. Especially considering that we don't even see much of the U-Boat in question for a lot of S1. It's too wrapped up in it's bullshit French Resistance nonsense in Lorient, so Vicky Kreips can be the star.

Should have been called 'Was Boot?'
    Well, I've not seen the original, so maybe that helped...
    -Carl Sagan