Page 168 of 174 FirstFirst ... 68118158164165166167168169170171172 ... LastLast
Results 2,506 to 2,520 of 2597

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

Super Moderator

UK
    Batman Forever
    Pretty good fun, hadn't seen in it years and years and years, probably since renting it on video, I think. It's interesting watching these earlier Batman movies and the main thing from one to the next seems to be "BIGGER!". The budget gets bigger, the look gets bigger, the acting of the villains gets much bigger. Tommy Lee Jones (as Two-Face) is dialled up to 11, meanwhile Jim Carrey (as The Riddler) idles at 11 and frequently oversteps the line into too-big territory. The introduction of Robin feels a bit too rushed and under-developed. Val Kilmer makes a decent Batman, but he actually makes for a better Bruce Wayne, weirdly enough. Visually quite a treat with it's very colourful look, although early attempts at some CGI city shots have aged terribly (the lack of decent textures really shows it up), meanwhile the model shots are much more enjoyable. You could see the overt camp that would consume Batman & Robin creeping in (including Batsuit nipples) ... and also, did we really need the close-up on Batman's arse clad in a brand new rubber suit?

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    The Gray Man (2022 Netflix) - Based on the book(s), which were in my opinion a mediocre Jack Reacher wannabe, it's hardly surprising this film turns in a rather flat mediocre super CGI action affair. Ryan Gossling is uber flat protagonist and Chris Evans does his best to be an interesting antagonist...

5.5/10 mainly for the production quality.
    Yeah, it was fine, but it was also underwhelming. There was nothing really all that special about it. I liked a few of the quippy moments, and Gosling is always a good watch, but it also felt a bit been-there-done-that ... the action wasn't helped with how friggin' neutered it was, either, getting that PG-13. They're trying to be as tough as they can with a PG-13, but then because you're being as tough as you can at that rating it makes even less sense that there'd be so little blood and pain, you know?

The Russo's previous film on Netflix, the name of which escapes me right now, featuring Chris Hemsworth was better. While the story wasn't anything spectacular, the action was proper crunchy and very well put together.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 28-Jul-2022 at 10:08 AM.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    The Russo's previous film on Netflix, the name of which escapes me right now, featuring Chris Hemsworth was better. While the story wasn't anything spectacular, the action was proper crunchy and very well put together.
    Oh! He did Extraction? Well... Now that was good and the hard work with the video sequences in that complimented that film. In the Gray Man it just felt like it was show boating for the sake of it.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Oh! He did Extraction? Well... Now that was good and the hard work with the video sequences in that complimented that film. In the Gray Man it just felt like it was show boating for the sake of it.
    Extraction! That's the one, the title just flew right outta my head there. Yeah, that had awesome action sequences in it. The Gray Man, despite all its globe trotting and budgetary scale sometimes felt a bit ... smaller than expected? The tram sequence was good, I particularly liked him using the reflection in the windows to get his angle for a shot, as an example, but the story wasn't particularly interesting and the main character didn't really stand out. Had it not been for Ryan Gosling's natural on-screen charisma, I think that character would have been really quite forgettable.

Lots of money getting splashed around, but to what real lasting effect? *shrugs*

It was okay. It wasn't boring, but it was certainly below my not especially high expectations considering how chuffed Netflix et al seemed to be with it. I was kinda left scratching my head as to why it was apparently so fandabbydozy.

Meanwhile (and yes I know it's a completely different production team etc) ... here I am still waiting on an Atomic Blonde sequel!
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 28-Jul-2022 at 02:38 PM.

Administrator

England
    Spot on... And $200,000,000!?!?!?!?!?!?!! WHAT THE FOOOOOOK!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Spot on... And $200,000,000!?!?!?!?!?!?!! WHAT THE FOOOOOOK!
    And considering how Netflix are trimming costs in certain places, or looking to cut 'lost revenue' in other places, I was thinking why on earth were they spending all that on this ... I mean, what felt so special about it that you were confident in spending that much on it? Mind you, perhaps with its rating and its star power it'll prove to be financially sound for them.

It does seem like a lot of these big budget star vehicles Netflix have been putting out are a bit patchy. 6 Underground, anyone? Or that one with The Rock and Gal Gadot in it, whatever it was called?

Administrator

England
    And considering how Netflix are trimming costs in certain places, or looking to cut 'lost revenue' in other places, I was thinking why on earth were they spending all that on this ... I mean, what felt so special about it that you were confident in spending that much on it? Mind you, perhaps with its rating and its star power it'll prove to be financially sound for them.

It does seem like a lot of these big budget star vehicles Netflix have been putting out are a bit patchy. 6 Underground, anyone? Or that one with The Rock and Gal Gadot in it, whatever it was called?
    "Red Notice" with The Rock and Gal Gadot (also $200m) was far superior IMHO.

And the Gray Man is getting a sequel too? Wow...
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Batman & Robin
    I haven't seen this in probably twenty years or more, and I actually saw it in the cinema way back when it was released - which I have fond memories of: the going to the cinema with my family part, not the film itself, haha. The movie is camp overload, Clooney never really fits either Bruce or Batman, Batgirl and Poison Ivy both kinda get poorly developed roles (Ivy less so, and there's a lot of cringe 'you go girl' type cornball direlogue surrounding Batgirl), but the most enjoyable part by far and kind of standing on its own amidst the chaos of the film is Arnie as Mr Freeze. It's a terrible film in many ways and is perhaps the pinnacle of that 1990s aesthetic of 'bigger and dumber and more carefree'.

"Red Notice" with The Rock and Gal Gadot (also $200m) was far superior IMHO.
    Really? I didn't even watch it because it looked so downright stupid, like a bunch of stolen ideas and scenes from other movies cobbled together with a glitzy cast. Seeing the honest trailer/pitch meeting for it just made it appear to be even more idiotic.

Great Britain
    The Sadness

Well holy shit where do I start, this is an Taiwanese horror movie set in Taiwan when a Virus out break makes its victims how can I say this BAT SHIT CRAZY lol, I don't know if anyone on here has read the fantastic comic book series called Crossed wrote by Garth Ennis (just google Garth Ennis Crossed and have a look at images to see what was made) in which a Virus makes people lose all self control and all they want to do is murder, torture, rape and cannibalise any uninfected human, the comic was hardcore violent and I never thought it would be possible to make a film out of it, well here comes Taiwan and they have made a version so close to the Crossed Comic it could be in the same universe.

This movie is not for the faint hearted, its ultra violent, gory which most of which is practical, heads explode or get caved in and I wont go into detail what happens to an eye socket.

not sure how to score this....... as a story its a 5/10 but as a gore show its a solid 9/10.
    Last edited by paranoid101; 04-Aug-2022 at 05:07 PM. Reason: spelling

Super Moderator

UK
    Scream (2022)
    aka '5cream', the latest in the Scream franchise, introducing a bunch of newbies along with returning 'legacy' characters. It's certainly not plumbing the depths of the pretty woeful Scream 3, but this is a franchise that needs to be put to bed. I got more enjoyment out of it than I was expecting, most definitely, and there are some good and timely observations and movie-savvy quips, but it simultaneously feels very much 'been there, done that'. I guessed one of the killers almost straight off the bat, and figured on the other one not long after, so there weren't any real surprises. Even a reveal of a certain location, particularly with its placement within the narrative and running time, was blown as the interior was so clearly familiar to franchise fans. There's no real tension, either, not totally devoid of it, but it all blends in with the vibe of 'been there, done that'.

Even more emotional moments are let down by quips that are flung mere moments later by characters who should be grieving and in shock, so it doesn't have the weight that it really needs. The newbie characters are a mixed bag. I actually quite liked the twins, but beyond that they were either just okay cannon fodder or downright annoying as fuck. I couldn't stand the girl who pompously says she only watches "elevated horror". I enjoyed Scream 4 more than this one, but none of the later sequels have come close to the first two.

Night Vision
    I don't know why this movie is called Night Vision. At no point does the killer, who records his victims secretly, use night vision to capture his prey, and nobody wears, say, night vision goggles in any key moment of detective work or action. This was probably one of those cranked-out genre flicks flung up onto Cinemax back in the day as there's a decent number of T&A scenes scattered throughout the otherwise paint-by-numbers tale of an alcoholic cop (Fred Williamson) hunting down a serial killer. The plot of simultaneously dense but also sketch-thin, as so many interesting avenues for subplots or further exploration are left on the table.

Cynthia Rothrock plays a trigger happy cop who is always either running out of bullets or getting her gun swatted out of her hand so Rothrock can do what she does best - kick scumbags in the face. It's one of those 'so bad its kinda good' movies. An early chase scene involving a grenade launcher (one of many unexplored subplots as the killer has, for reasons???, got their hands on military weaponry - despite killing his victims with FUCKING CLING FILM!!!) gives an impression of how haphazard this flick can feel, as you can clear-as-day see the pipe bombs they set up for the explosions on the highway, while moments later the wooden ramp set-up to fling the bike over the side sneaks into frame.

It's a pretty crazy movie in some ways. On multiple occasions Williamson is parading around in his underpants, breadcrumbs between plotpoints are regularly lost so you don't really know how they put two-and-two together, and it could hardly be more low budget 1990s if it tried. In some ways it's pretty damn bad, but that kinda makes it good fun. There's also a scene, which appears to be shot inside some sort of garage space or studio apartment, but it turns out to be a theme motel room ... what's weird though is that the bed is inside a full-sized pink Cadillac ... but when they cut to the exterior it's supposed to all have taken place inside a normal sized motel room that's on the first bloody floor! How the fuck did you get a full-sized pink Cadillac bed up and in there?!

Fifty/Fifty
    Directed by the nerdy guy from American Graffiti (Charles Martin Smith), this Cannon Films action comedy stars Peter Weller and Robert Hays as a couple of CIA operatives who get wrapped up in a coup to take down the dictator of a remote South East Asian island. There's good banter between Weller and Hays, but the tone sometimes shifts awkwardly, especially when the dirty business of the CIA's shifting priorities comes more into play and innocent blood is spilled. On the one hand it's commendable to inject some more serious depth into what could have otherwise turned into a fairly dumb action flick, but it can sit a little bit off-key with the banter on occasion. That said, I wouldn't change it, as it does give the movie a bit of personality. It's maybe a big slow in the first half, but it cranks up in the second half with some typically Cannon style action. A decent action caper from the VHS rental heyday.

Apparently Chuck Norris and Michael Dudikoff were originally considered for the star pairing. Even Sly Stallone and Eddie Murphy as well as Stallone/Kurt Russell were considered (the latter pairing opted for Tango & Cash instead). There's some interesting versions of this film sitting out there in the multiverse, that's for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by paranoid101 View Post
    The Sadness

This movie is not for the faint hearted, its ultra violent, gory which most of which is practical, heads explode or get caved in and I wont go into detail what happens to an eye socket.

not sure how to score this....... as a story its a 5/10 but as a gore show its a solid 9/10.
    Sounds fucked up and worth a watch. Thanks for the recommendation.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 05-Aug-2022 at 02:18 PM.

Great Britain
    Prey Disney+

Ok its good guys its very good tbh, best Predator movie since number 2, all the actor do a really good job the main Sister and Brother are fantastic turn out it was the Brothers first movie roll.

Now we need a Predator Movie maybe set during Feudal Japan or maybe WW2 or WW1.

Solid 8/10 even thought the main actress was very distracting as she much looked like an Native American Aubrey Plaza from Parks and Rec lol
    Last edited by paranoid101; 06-Aug-2022 at 06:55 PM. Reason: spelling

Administrator

England
    Bloodshot (2020) - Vin Diesel

A needlessly forgettable Robocop/Terminator type affair. Instead of simply dialling down the uber over the top tech and super uber duper abilities of everyone to make it more believable and engagine, we have uber duper tech seemingly capable of anything resulting in the audience just not buying in and caring about it. What could have been a clever and engaging scifi romp ends up be a disposable generic CGI flick.

6/10...
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Evolver (1995)
    I haven't seen this since, well, probably the late 1990s. I've still got the big box rental VHS that I bought from our local rental store for a fiver. This time around I was watching it on FreeVee (cue annoyingly-placed and frighteningly sudden advert breaks, oftentimes for FreeVee itself or for Audible, also owned by its parent company Amazon). It's a cheesy sci-fi-ish sort of film about a videogame nerd who wins a competition and receives an 'Evolver' robot (kind of like a lazer-tag AI-driven machine), which is actually a repurposed military project that was scrapped. Unsurprisingly, things go askew and the robot must confirm its kills.

From the director of The House On Sorority Row (Mark Rosman), it's a bit of a 90s time capsule, riddled with cheese, early computer graphics that were once cutting edge, and modest budget silliness. It's also got a bit of a weird tone. Aside from a handful of "fucks" and a couple of brief titty shots, it's otherwise a PG-13 movie. So it never makes proper use of its R-rating. Naturally, my nostalgia gives me a kinder view of this flick, so others' mileage may vary, especially if coming to it new.

Bloodshot (2020) - Vin Diesel

A needlessly forgettable Robocop/Terminator type affair. Instead of simply dialling down the uber over the top tech and super uber duper abilities of everyone to make it more believable and engagine, we have uber duper tech seemingly capable of anything resulting in the audience just not buying in and caring about it. What could have been a clever and engaging scifi romp ends up be a disposable generic CGI flick.

6/10...
    By the sounds of it a 6/10 seems awfully generous???
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 13-Aug-2022 at 12:38 PM.

Administrator

England
    By the sounds of it a 6/10 seems awfully generous???
    Eiza González Reyna
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Day Shift (2022):
    Just new on Netflix yesterday. I don't think I'd even watched the trailer, just a brief glimpse, and knew it starred Jamie Foxx and Dave Franco and was about vampire hunters in Los Angeles. Anyway, watching it just tonight and really enjoyed it. It's got the same stunt team as John Wick and Nobody, so all the action sequences are pretty friggin sweet and jolly good fun with lots of inventive kills. It's not as good as those two movies (the villain doesn't quite pop, for instance), but that's a hard ask to out-do John Wick or Nobody, but it's a damn fun time and I'd certainly watch a sequel. Recommended.

Eiza González Reyna
    Bet you loved Baby Driver, then.

- - - Updated - - -

77 Minutes (2016)
    Documentary about the 1984 massacre in a McDonalds in San Ysidro. I'm over half-way through, so not quite finished it yet, but man, this doc has some issues. The biggest one is that it liberally uses the police crime scene tape and - significantly - doesn't blur the faces of the victims. Sure, the truth of the violence shouldn't be watered down, but why is it at all necessary to clearly see the 'faces of death' of numerous innocent people including an infant? By all means, show the face of the scumbag who did it with their body lying there cuffed and face down on the floor (and they do), but the repeated shots of the victims (including the police doing their normal procedure of the crime scene walk-through, uncovering bodies and describing them for the record) simply comes across as purely exploitative.

Indeed, the tone of the doc regularly feels 'off', and it has to come down to the director Charlie Minn, who seems to fancy himself as some cutting edge investigative reporter who frequently presents rumour and conjecture from one side as fact to the other side in a manner that can only be considered deliberately combative and even accusatory. I was surprised the documentary only came out in 2016 as some of the editing and presentation choices are, frankly, amateurish (big red arrows pointing, inconsistent use of voice over versus on-screen text etc). Minn also feels too comfortable being in front of the camera, as if he's even taking pleasure in it, feeding into that vibe you get of 'wannabe hard hitting investigative reporter'. Indeed, perhaps he'd argue he is that, seeing as his bread and butter seems to be pretty much exclusively docs about massacres and gangland violence. It's all the more galling when Minn puts across the impression of some gung-ho bystander who was never there - the 'if I was there I would have tackled him' or 'if I was the sniper I would have taken the shot immediately' variety. His glaring lack of tactical awareness or of basic police procedure or of common sense, even when presented with clear reasons, is stunning.

I wonder if any of the interviewees were mad about the documentary after they'd seen it. It so often feels leering and bloodthirsty in a manner that actually gets in the way of telling a more empathetic story about the experience of the innocent people who got caught up in this tragic event, like something out of the movie 'Nightcrawler'. One could argue that many true crime documentaries are technically "bloodthirsty" or even somewhat "exploitative", but compared to this? Incomparable...
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 14-Aug-2022 at 12:46 PM.