Thread: Is Frankenstein's Monster a Zombie????

Martin, LA (the sticks). I'm writing a zombie script to be filmed in this area with cheap DVs!
    United States

Question Is Frankenstein's Monster a Zombie????

I just thought about drawing comparisons between Bub, Big Daddy, and Frankenstein's Monster, but I'm really tired and have to get to class. So, do the work for me.
    I Corinthians 1:18-31 18For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. 19For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. 20Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. 22For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: 23But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness; 24But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God. 25Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men. 26For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: 27But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; 28And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: 29That no flesh should glory in his presence. 30But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: 31That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

Harvester Of Sorrow Deadman_Deluxe's Avatar
    ViP

England
    No, IMO Frankenstein's monster is NOT a zombie

Banned User

United States
    I would say yes and no.

A "zombie" technically is a figure of voo-doo lore...a corpse brought back to life by magic to perform slave labor on a plantation or in a bakery. In recent years, the term has come to describe the monsters we all know and love at this site...although that interpretation has been changing as well due to flicks like Dawn 04 and 28 Days Later.

GAR himself used the term "zombie" sparingly in his films. In the original NOTLD, the newscaster called the zombies "ghouls", which is actually a more accurate term.

I would say that the Frankenstein monster could be classifed as a form of a ghoul--it was a bunch of corpses stitched together and brought back to life. It's not technically a zombie, but it shares some similarites.

Just been bitten Guru ofthe Dead's Avatar

United States
    Sven buddy I must agree. Franky is a yes and no. Lets go to voodoo. Zombies are people that are dead or presumed dead and then are dug up and walk around in a dazed state. Franky is put together with dead parts and brought back to life. He stumbles around not know what is what. He learns. He also knows that he is dead. So yes and no.
    "We gotta stay in the sticks man."

Just been bitten TheWalkingDude's Avatar

Undisclosed
    Frankenstien was brought back from other body parts but he did have somewhat of a self awareness to him too. He didnt try and eat people, in fact he was kinda kind and gentle towards the little girl. So i wouldnt classify his has zombie or ghoul.
    Member of the Pittsburgh Pimp Squad....... Playersssssssss Pimpin Aint Easyyyyyyyy

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    tehcnically hes a lot closer to zombie than the ghouls in the movies romero makes, THERE GHOULS DAMMIT! use wikipedia!

but yeah zombies are traditionally serpent and the rainbow type automatons, and if you havent seen that film check it out it rocks.

United States
    I would say that Frankenstein's monter is definately not a zombie, neither in the Romero sense, or the voodoo sense. He was brought to life by science and electricity, not voodoo. He did have a self awareness, and was not actly totally on instinct, and did not try to eat people.

I think that he stands alone in his own classification. There is only one Frankenstein's monster.

United States

A Ghoul and Zombie are two different things!

Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    tehcnically hes a lot closer to zombie than the ghouls in the movies romero makes, THERE GHOULS DAMMIT! use wikipedia!

but yeah zombies are traditionally serpent and the rainbow type automatons, and if you havent seen that film check it out it rocks.
    Wikipedia is written by anyone and therefore may not be 100% accurate. (I know there are admins that monitor, but that doesn't mean somethings don't get misrepresented there.)

Romero's movies are zombies, not ghouls. There are different forms of zombies. There is the Haitian zombie, which in myth would be a dead person brought back to life to do his master's bidding, but in reality that person is not really dead, but in a sub-conscious like state due to a poison that lowers their brain activity, etc.

The flesh-eating zombie is a fantasy movie version that is a corpse brought back to a state that resembles living, but they are more undead than alive or dead. In Romero's films they will only die from a shot to the head, or brain area or blunt trauma. In the Return series, they will continue to move around regardless of being hit in the head, because the whole being is reanimated. (Sometimes in Romero's films parts of zombies are still active as evidenced by the shovel zombie in Day of the Dead and whose eyes kept moving as well as Greg N.'s head being reanimated after being killed, but that may be due to the brain still being intant.)

Reanimation is provided by many means in different films. It can be a virus, a spore, religion, chemicals, magic, etc.

Ghouls on the otherhand are traditionally a creature or even person who lurks around graveyards, digs up corpses and devours them as food. They are a living being, either demonic in nature by either religion or another form or unclassified being as evidenced by a Tales from the Crypt episode in which they had formed a society and ate the recently dead.

Of course this post is my own observation, and may not be completely accurate, but in my opinion, it pretty much sums up the terms.

Dawg

Original Member Since 1998. [10 YEARS AND COUNTING!]

Haiti
    Dawg is right about the ghoul thing, the term is of Arabic derivation and refers
    to creatures that feed on corpses. The Wikipedia article on the subject is reliable on this and makes the interesting comment that Romeros creatures seem to be a combination of the traditional walking dead and the flesh eating "ghul"
    of Arabian folklore.
    Interesting links to Britannica and others on the subject at the foot of the article.
    Frankensteins Monster in my view isn't a zombie, he's more of biological robot albeit one that is self aware and there's the big difference, I don't think that the Romero zombies are self aware, not even Bub or Big Daddy.
    Btw, back to the ghouls, the above mentioned Britannica article says that despite being a shape-shifting demon the ghoul always has the hooves of an ass, this reminded me of the awesome Hannes Bok illustration for the Lovecraft story "Pickman's Model"
    The reasoning man who scorns the prejudices of simpletons necessarily becomes the enemy of simpletons; he must expect as much, and laugh at the inevitable.
    Marquis De Sade.

United States
    I'm gonna say yes he is, just like The Flood from Halo. I posted a thread on this subject a while back and a pic of the flood is actually on the wikipedia page for zombie. My definition of a zombie is a reanimated corpse, so yes in my opinion Frankenstein is a zombie.

United States

The Yes and No Perspective

What is a zombie? A zombie is a reanimated corpse.

Is Frankenstein not a reanimated corpse? Technically, yes, he is...although he is made of multiple body parts/organs, he is nonetheless a reanimated corpse.

Does it matter how a corpse is reanimated? No, it doesn't. Whether it be science, voodoo, chemicals, gamma rays, cosmic debris, necromancy, biological organisms, alien parasites, or the dreams-come-true of Mister Chrome, a zombie is still a reanimated corpse.

Now, if you happen to be a D&D nerd (which I am) you might want to establish a difference between Frankenstein (clearly a Flesh Golem in D&D terms) and Bub (clearly a zombie in D&D terms). However, since movies and literature are the media about which we are debating this topic, I'll leave the D&D discepancies aside.

In short, I largely agree with my old friend Svengoolie.

There you have it.

M.C.

Banned User

United States
    What I find fascinating about the whole zombie/ghoul/infected debate is how people hail GAR for "inventing the concept of the modern zombie"...when all he really did was update the old vampire mythos when he ripped off "I Am Legend" and The Last Man On Earth.

In the early 1800s, the woman who brought us Frankenstein--the most beloved Mary Shelly, used to party with Lord Byron and his personal "physician", Dr John Palidori. They'd go to Lake Geneva in Switzerland...they'd load up, they'd party...and spend their time swapping stories and bodily fluids at Byron's pimp palace.

Anyways, what we commonly think of as a "vampire" was actually created by Lord Byron and John Palidori...and NOT by Bram Stoker. What they did was bring the vampire mythos into a more sexual, "modern" state...creating the "baroque vampire"--you know, the suave mother-phucker in a cape that we're all familiar with.

Before that, vampires actually had more in common with what we consider a zombie than Dracula--they were rotting, shambling, malevolent corpses that had to dig their way out of their own graves every night in search of blood.

The firm of Byron and Polidori made them pretty and smart...and Mattheson made them ugly again--and updated the creatures a bit himself, having them reflect more science than superstition.

GAR ripped off that concept, but took it a step further--in the old days, vamps drank blood (which was often called "life's blood") because it was believed that blood carried a person's vitality. They were killed by a stake through the heart because the heart was connected to the blood, and was considered the most important part of the body.

In GAR's day, we knew better--that the brain was the most important organ...so he switched the heart thing to a brain thing, and to make it more gruesome (probably) had the corpses eat the entire person's flesh instead of just having them drink blood.

Hence, a new monster, and a new genre, was born.

Just been bitten TheWalkingDude's Avatar

Undisclosed
    Speaking of Frankenstien then what the heck was Jason exsactly?? He came back from the dead many times.....didnt eat people.. well at least i dont think so maybe off camera or something lol...but you certainly couldnt kill the bugger lol
    Member of the Pittsburgh Pimp Squad....... Playersssssssss Pimpin Aint Easyyyyyyyy