Thread: "Why didn't they...?" #4 (Dawn of the Dead)

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Maybe they felt like it would be wasting alot of the ammunition that they would eventually need for more extreme and dangerous situations?

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by DoomOnYou View Post
    the gates are locked...

why not have 2 people inside the gated stores picking off zombies? the gates had more than enough space to stick a barrel thru or it would have been easy enough to use a hammer to bend a bar down to accomodate this...

at the same time 2 could have been on the roof picking off new zombies coming... it wouldn't have taken too long to clear the parking lot of stragglers...at least enough to be able to safely move the trucks into position...

that would have been a lot safer than running thru them and being right among them trying to kill them
    doom makes a good point. thats exactly what i have always wondered to is why the never did something along those lines. but i guess it would have taken away from alot of the action in the movie, but in a real situation that would be the best plan of action to avoid being eaten.
    we keep it real gangsta down here in canada. ehh

Undisclosed

Cool Ye Olde Gunshop...

They could have used strictly the .22 revolvers or rifles, saved the 'good stuff' for tougher tricks or longer ranges. But, by moving through the masses, they drew them into the main concourse, out of the stores and back rooms, putting them into the future field of fire.

How much time elapsed between the gates' sealing and the subsequent hunt?

Maybe they'd figure the zombies would avoid the barred gates with the large pile of corpses in front of it; sort of a good indicator somewhere is a bad place is the number of corpses stacked near it.
    0-1: might be safe.
    2-3: bad, possibly very bad.
    4-9: not a good idea, at all.
    10+: rethink current strategy.

Angry312; "..if you wanna kill 'em, have Flyboy try to help them. That's a ****ing death sentence right there."

Canada
    i have always thought that a .22 would be the best choice of wepon for close range zombies. you could get a ruger 10/22 with the 50 shot clips no scope. you would be able to carry thousands of rounds of ammunition and a .22 would lay a zombie down especially with hollow point tips. if you carried 4 or 5 clips you should never have to worry about running dry and if you do carry side arms like a glock 9mm that holds lots of rounds.
    this is all just my opinion since i have spent thousands of hours thinking about this very topic
    we keep it real gangsta down here in canada. ehh

Undisclosed
    That would've been a good idea. I can't believe *I* didn't think of it!

Shameless self promotion for something completely unrelated to zombies.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DoomOnYou View Post
    the gates are locked...

why not have 2 people inside the gated stores picking off zombies? the gates had more than enough space to stick a barrel thru or it would have been easy enough to use a hammer to bend a bar down to accomodate this...

at the same time 2 could have been on the roof picking off new zombies coming... it wouldn't have taken too long to clear the parking lot of stragglers...at least enough to be able to safely move the trucks into position...

that would have been a lot safer than running thru them and being right among them trying to kill them
    I would assume that they believed the authorities were going to take care of the problem. Somehow I get the impression that some sort of cavalry was expected to show up and clean up the "mess" in the parking lot. A lot of groups hiding out in malls or other havens probably thought the same thing. Sooner or later, someone will show up.
    Last edited by Brubaker; 15-Sep-2006 at 02:03 AM.

Dead

Undisclosed

Bullets Shattering the Mall Glass Doors

About the only one who could hit anything without a scope was Roger. Stephen had the aim of a blind Iraqi Republican Guardsman, and Fran apparently had never even handled a weapon in her life before this (..."I might even figure out how to use it"). Peter shoots well at long distances with a scope, and at close distances with pistols.

Do we really want these people hanging out of roll-down bars in awkward positions shooting where they could easily shatter store front windows? More importantly would it be worth taking a chance having a bullet reflecting off something and & shattering the all-important glass that are keeping the zombies from getting inside the mall? I've wondered time and time again how they didn't manage to hit anything important while 'going on a hunt' after the doors were secured.

As for the zombies outside, firing into the crowds would have attracted more noise than the trucks were already making. Perhaps they should have taken some flares with them. Or maybe Fran could have run the length of the roof top and thrown flares down on the ground to keep the undead at bay when each truck reached it's designated location. Or molitov cocktails....

United States
    I think that Fran should have run around naked on the roof. Probably wouldnt have helped the zombie siutation, but it definately would have gotton my attention.

Canada
    why didnt they drag a lawn tractor up to the roof, tie a bunch of ropes with cinder blocks on them.. then they could just drop the cinderblocks on the heads of the zombies, then when they run out, start up the tractor and drag them all back up to roof, set them up again and and again.

Dead

Undisclosed

Rain from the Rooftoop

Hell, why not throw the tractor and the cinder blocks off the roof?