Thread: WTF is wrong with people!!!???

United States

WTF is wrong with people!!!???

from the AP wire:

BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) - A man repeatedly stabbed his toddler and estranged wife along an interstate while horrified people watched from their cars in rush-hour traffic Friday night, police and witnesses said.

The 2-year-old girl was in a car with her parents when her father started stabbing his wife with a kitchen knife along Interstate 110 near the Governor's Mansion, said Cpl. L'Jean McKneely, a Baton Rouge Police spokesman.

When the 26-year-old woman got out and ran for help from an East Baton Rouge Parish sheriff's deputy in squad car just ahead of them, her husband stabbed his daughter, McKneely said.

"He kept stabbing her until the knife was stuck in her head," witness Gloria Spears told WAFB-TV.

The man then put the girl on the highway and drove off, side-swiping the deputy's car and striking his wife, police said. He sped into downtown Baton Rouge and knocked down at least three utility poles before his car hurtled through the air and overturned on top of another vehicle.

All three were taken to Our Lady of the Lake Medical Center. The child was in "extremely critical" condition, with a cut "along her midsection and a kitchen knife lodged in her head," McKneely said.

Her mother, who was thrown 20 to 40 feet by the impact of the car, also had numerous stab wounds, he said. She was expected to live. The man was being treated for minor injuries, McKneely said.

McKneely said the couple, who was not identified, has been married for about six years but were currently living apart. It was not immediately clear what led to the stabbings.

United States
    All these people driving past and no one stopped and blew these maggot's head off? What a sorry state of affairs...
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    yeah people dont give too ****s nowadays, the other day i saw a guy from my film class who was in a wheel chair fall out of it on one of those ramps from the road to cerb ..things and as i ran up to help the guy out i noticed all the shoppers around him just walked in a really wide arc to avoid him some old biddy said "taking up the path!" in a pissed off way, needless to say his reaction when i gave him a hand was "nice to know you can rely on people huh?"

nowadays people are perfectly happy to stay in there own personal comfort bubble and ignore anything else out of either fear or lazyness, and it is a sorry state of afairs.

Undisclosed
    Odd thing, getting involved.

If you do it, and things worsen, the culprit switches from the original offender to the interloper; gunmen who get surprised during a bankjob by some heroic idiot are a great example. Given when we have fires in our neighborhoods, we don't form bucket brigades, we don't do street lynchings (well, not commonly, at least) and there are few civilian-run jails.

Sometimes in life you hand the keys of your future to a professional; don't try to do your own knee surgery; don't try to correct a felon's career path with amateur psychology; don't rush into traffic to repaint a series of lines in the road.

The idea that people could be offended by someone driving past a scene of a guy with a knife stabbing someone isn't taking into account:
    Speed of traffic -- "Either the guy was stabbing someone, or frisking them."
    How attentive the drivers are -- ".. damn. Where is my Creedence CD?"
    How physically menaced they are -- "Uhm. He's six foot five; I'm a midget."
    Racial tendencies -- "Screw 'em. Ain't me and mine, don't care."

Any of the above are as valid a defense as people can muster, and all have their failings. How often do random people stop you and ask, "Hey! You! What are you doin' out here? You look kinda suspicious."

Probably not often, unless you look professionally suspicious.

I understand the point that people too often don't do a damned thing, when there exists a clear-cut opportunity to actually accomplish something with both a good means and a good end to it, true. To disparage someone for not getting involved when they've got lanes of traffic between them and the problem whipping by at speed.. that's patentedly absurd.

Also, anyone can tell you -- Friday night is a night when people are interested more in going out and getting loaded or laid vastly more than getting involved in someone else's issues or acts of violence.

But, it does make for what could wind up as an interesting court case...

"Your Honor... I was driving along the Interstate, when for a fraction of a second, I saw the knife in the guy's hand.. I just *knew* he'd been stabbing someone with it, and I acted.. I didn't hesitate for even a millisecond before I slammed my Pontiac into his midsection, ending the entire bloody affair. I couldn't help but notice he was also wearing a big orange and blue shirt that stated in bold letters: I AM A CRIMINAL GUY. Very clear cut case here, sir."

"You also killed the wife and child, who would have survived the event, plus backed up traffic enough to slow down the emergency services vehicles."

"Your Honor, I was completely sure about everything I saw, and the only weapon I had was my car. I couldn't get to my gun, which is always loaded with Anti-Bad-Guy rounds, thoroughly incapable of missing a shot or wounding an innocent bystander."

Sorry.. just having a difficult time, laughing at the potential defense...
    Last edited by Angry312; 24-Sep-2006 at 10:22 PM.

Banned User

United States
    Well a guy with a knife and a person falling out of a wheel chair are two different things. A person has to be crazy to strep in when a guy has a knife, the best thing to do is get to the nearest exit and call the police. Now when someone is handicapped and falls out of his wheelchair I feel that people need to be kind and help the man. It makes me mad that people would ignore a man lying there. I remember once I was on crutches to a bad leg injury and i fell. I could not get up for I was just out of the hospital and in pain. No one stopped to help. It took me forever to find a way to get back up. Its amazing how society lacks just simple human kindness.