capncnut

References?

References? More like rip-off's!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnSpaulding View Post
    Everybody has their own opinions....but....umm.....no, dude.

It's a tribute film to Romero's work. If it were a rip off of Romero's work, don't you think Romero wouldn't exactly be happy about it? He loves the film.

And the humor is great. To me, there are two different kinds of comedy. One of them is thoughtful, situational, "thinking" comedy.....and then the other kind is that sort of slapstick, Jim Carrey, senseless comedy that a three year old could laugh at. I guess some people just better relate to the latter. Shaun is the first.

Everyone has their own thing....but come on, dude. Shaun is an instant classic. Even to people that know nothing of Romero's work think it's one hell of a well-crafted and hilarious film.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    If that's your opinion, you're probably the only one on the entire planet who has it.

Myself, I didn't spot any ripoffs whatsoever. But please, indulge us... How did Shaun rip-off Romero?

United States
    SOTD was more of a tribute to GAR's flims than a rip off. From the electronics store named after Ken Foree to DOTD's Rhodes ripped in half death scene, and of course the Goblin music making an appearance for the ears. let's not forget the comedy comes from the characters and not the zombies. Great film, great laughs, and a big thank you for not taking itself too seriously.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Undisclosed
    My favorite is still Day of the Dead. Nothing else comes close to capturing the sheer hopelessness, claustrophobia, and dread that the survivors of a zombie event would experience.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    What about the worst zombie movie ever? That one goes to Zombie Lake or Zombi 4. This may be an unpopular choice but me personally, I would bung Shaun on that pile too!

BLASPHEMY!

capncnut

No, I'm not budging!!!

Did anyone consider the reason why GAR was so happy with 'Shaun'? I'll tell ya; the success of 'Shaun' got 'Land' made, that's it! For years, GAR punted around his 'Dead Reckoning' script and for a while the whole affair seemed to be doomed to limbo. Then 'Shaun' comes along and the universe is saved! Okay, I know this movie has crossed the seas pretty well but a majority of the dejected looking mofo's that went along to see that movie in my local theatre (including myself) just wont agree with it's appraisal. I saw 'Day' at the cinema on release and the whole theatre was pure BLOWN AWAY! You could hear a pin drop! Fast forward twenty years to the 'Dawn' remake; I know I'm not alone when I say that movie is shambolic to the core, then a week later that 'thing' comes out! Agreed, it may be my anger that prompted me to call it a rip-off (but there are one or two, including the Rhode's-style death) but a couple of comical moments don't constitute a classic movie in my opinion.
    Last edited by capncnut; 14-Oct-2006 at 11:50 PM.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    BLASPHEMY!
    I totally agree. Not only do I love Shaun, i am a huge fan of Zombie.Claudio Fragasso has worked on some of my favorite films- Zombie 4, Rats, and Zombie 3.

Also, i agree with most that Shaun is pay homage rather then rips off Romero.