Thread: Good RTS games?

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Good RTS games?

I have Age Of Empires, Age II, Starcraft, Warcraft II, and a couple other RTS'. I just spent hours downloading the Company Of Heroes demo and too a half hour to install, only to find out my computer isn't good enough to run it.

Does anybody know of any awesome War based RTS? As in WWI, WWII, Vietnam, etc. I play Age Of Empires II a lot and I'm getting sick of only having like musket riflers at the most. I want tanks and machine guns and bazooka's and helicopters! But I also need it to not be state of the art so I can actually run it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    just got warcraft 3:reign of chaos the other day for a tenner from game i normally hate rts' but its damn good and its fun to play online as well.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Rome: Total War and the upcoming Medieval 2: Total War are the only real strategy games I play. Their RTS parts blow anything else out of the water.

United States
    Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth II is very good:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/693/693247p1.html

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by CoinReturn View Post
    Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth II is very good:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/693/693247p1.html
    I really doubt I could run that game. I just got the demo of Command & Conquer: Generals (from 2003) and my comp can barely handle that.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    mines no good either the best it can play is black and white i was surprised warcraft 3 played but ti works fine on mine.

United States
    I've been playing Company of Heroes for a few weeks now and I still think it's one of the best real-time strategy games out there. The first few times I played it I had my ass handed to me by the computer player - and that was on EASY!

Needless to say, I became addicted quickly to that game.

The only other real RTS I played regularly was Age of Empires and the expansion packs. Other than that, I'm usually a FPS player.

LC

England
    If you have a fast enough mid range system that will run it,theres now a demo out of medieval:total war 2 im just looking for the best place to download it now,cant wait for this one!

United States
    Those of us with an Xbox 360 can look forward to Halo Wars :

http://www.halowars.com/index.html

Q: What is “Halo Wars”?
    A: “Halo Wars” is the next big real-time strategy game from Ensemble Studios, creators of Age of Empires. Designed exclusively for the Xbox 360, “Halo Wars” allows you to take charge of the human UNSC armies and see
    the Halo universe from a totally new perspective.

Q: Where does “Halo Wars” take place in the Halo timeline?
    A: “Halo Wars” takes place before Halo 1 during the UNSC’s first deadly encounters with the Covenant.

Q: Can you reveal anything about “Halo Wars” storyline?
    A: Players will lead the crew of the UNSC’s “Spirit of Fire” from initial skirmishes to an all out war against the evil Covenant.

Q: Will I be able to play as the Covenant?
    A: Stay tuned.

Q: Why is “Halo” being made into an RTS game?
    A: Warthogs are cool. Scorpions are cool. Controlling lots of Warthogs and Scorpions and sending them into battle is really, really cool.

We’ve been big fans of Halo for years at Ensemble Studios, and when we sat down to discuss our next project we thought Halo would be absolutely perfect as an RTS on the Xbox 360.

Q: When will “Halo Wars” be available?
    A: Stay tuned.

Q: Will I be able to play Halo Wars on Xbox 360 and PC?
    A: Halo Wars is for the Xbox 360 exclusively.

Q: Is the trailer pre-rendered?
    A: Yes, and it's based around our world concepts and uses lots of in-game models. The sound and music were done at Ensemble Studios as well. Props to our friends at Blur for bringing it all together and making it really shine.

Q: Other RTS games that have transitioned to console have had issues with controls, how will “Halo Wars” improve on the formula?
    A: “Halo Wars” was created for the Xbox 360 from the ground up, which meant we didn't have to make compromises or shoe-horn in artifacts from a Windows PC game. We were able to take all the best aspects of RTS games, make them work perfectly on the Xbox 360, and exclude the rest.

Q: Where can I learn more about other Halo games?
    A: Our friends at Bungie, the creators of the Halo Universe, have lots of information about Halo. Check them out here: www.bungie.net.

I was never much into RTS games but this one looks to be a "must buy" for me .

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    yeah im looking forwards to that one, shame theres no option to play as the flood.