Thread: New DEFTONES album out tomorrow (30th Oct)

Harvester Of Sorrow Deadman_Deluxe's Avatar
    ViP

England

New DEFTONES album out tomorrow (30th Oct)

My Mrs just send me an SMS insisting that she would be VERY angry if i forgot what day it was tomorrow. Of course i INSTANTLY knew what day it was ... the release day of The Deftones new album, SATURDAY NIGHT WRIST ... hell yeah!

I sent her an SMS back telling her that there was no way i would have forgotten, having been waiting all these months ... to which she replied that she couldn't give a rats ass about the deftones, and that she was infact referring to the fact that our first child together (our daughter) will be one month old tomorrow

Oops!

Anyways ... i have a four track promo CD which is pretty diverse, has anyone got this album yet? Anyone else heard//bought/stolen/burnt/grilled/melted it?

Kazakhstan
    lmao mate that's classic.

as for the new one, i sorta fell out with them after "white pony". bit weird, that one.

ViP

England
    Quote Originally Posted by _liam_ View Post
    lmao mate that's classic.

as for the new one, i sorta fell out with them after "white pony". bit weird, that one.

You know, White Pony came HIGHLY recommended to me by several people while i was well into the ADRENALINE/AROUND THE FUR albums.

My attitude was very similar to your own.

White Pony on first listening did absolutely NOTHING for me ... like you say, a bit weird, disjointed, strange, quirky, and NOT as heavy ... same on the second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth listen etc etc. However i went back to that album about 18 months later when nothing short of a total love affair with that album began.

Several years AFTER my initial listening i made a complete U TURN and now regard it as one of the finest, if not THE finest, alternative rock albums that has EVER been released ... period! I think back to the people who recommended that album to me and how much enjoyment i have extracted from a single album. Amazing!

I can only urge you to follow suit and give it a few more listens in the hope that you can extract even 10% of the pleasure i have from White Pony.

PS: Yeah, sounds like a joke i know ... but it did actually happen.

United States
    wow Deadman Deluxe. you know what the hell your talking about

Super Moderator

UK
    I aquired that bitch a couple of weeks ago, only had a chance to listen to it through fully once, but it's not bad. "Beware" is my favourite track, have re-listened to it several times.

"Pink Cellphone" is a bit weird at the end, there's this chick semi-singing-ish about non-Jewish anal sex and then ends saying "that is why British men have bad teeth, amen" ... wtf?!

*sticks "Beware" on again* - that's the stuff.

Gonna get more into it in due course, but thought it was pretty decent just from the first listen, so that's a good sign.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadman_Deluxe View Post
    Several years AFTER my initial listening i made a complete U TURN and now regard it as one of the finest, if not THE finest, alternative rock albums that has EVER been released ... period! I think back to the people who recommended that album to me and how much enjoyment i have extracted from a single album. Amazing!
    Me too. White Pony is fantastic record. I often see magazine journalists slating some of the more far out records in various bands careers and then completely reversing their decisions months later. If kids really dig a certain group but are initially let down by a release, I'd say force feed it to yourself and then see how you feel in a week or a month.

Undisclosed
    been a fan of the deftones for a long ass time, i'll check it out.
    Homepageofthedeader since 2002

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I aquired that bitch a couple of weeks ago
    If it's not out until tomorrow how did you aquire it, Mr Anti-Piracy?

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    If it's not out until tomorrow how did you aquire it, Mr Anti-Piracy?
    *ahem*

I'm merely, impartially, upholding the rules of the VBB software - the anti-piracy one being of particular importance to uphold.

Personally yes I download, because I can't simply afford everything (especially currently), when I'm a little more flush I go and buy stuff, I have sprees, but at the moment it's tight-arse-central so I can only buy dead certs ... and I'm often quite impatient.

Man alive, I've been on a bender of downloading previous series of Top Gear this past 24 hours ... ah if only series 1, 2 and what was unavailable of 3 were around...

Anyway, going through the album again and indeed - it's good stuff. *shock horror*, it's actually worth buying too - now that is fairly rare these days.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 29-Oct-2006 at 10:33 PM.

ViP

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    it's actually worth buying too - now that is fairly rare these days.
    True enough.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i must be the only british guy here who has no idea what your talking about.

United States
    ^^^ sh!t happens

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Hell yeah, I'm waiting on it. I was a bit let down by White Pony, but their last effort, "Deftones" was freaking great. I fell in love with it. They are one of the few heavier bands that I can still enjoy.

By the way....I know most of you hate Myspace, but you can listen to the entire new album on their page. See.....it's good for some things.