Thread: Anyone Know I-pods?

Kazakhstan
    well i'm no tech expert, but to be honest i'd advise against ipods and recommend a creative zen instead, the batteries are better, they look cooler and they can take so much punishment (rain/beer, being dropped etc) before they die. i dont really know anyone who owns an ipod that hasn't complained about some aspect of them.

also zens dont delete their libraries when you import new tracks, which ipods used to do at least (sorry if i've got this wrong).

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    man i wouldnt get an i-pod ive seen tons of shows about how they try to get around trading standards and stuff and if the battery goes you have to pay for a new one ,send it to the company to re fit it all just to listen to music, they can be faulty, screw with your computer and it jsut aint worth it for a fad "trendy" mp3 player that costs a few hundred notes.
    on a personal level i just dont see the point my mp3 player stores 400 songs, and records voices and acts like a memory stick and only cost a tenner, i think theres just subliminal messeging in those adds with all the falshing colours.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    My girlfriend has an iPod and is constantly complaining about it screwing up on her in one way or another. I believe she even had to send it out to get serviced within a couple months of having it.

I'd advise against one.

Undisclosed
    I've got an I-pod, here's what I think.

+ Aesthetically pleasing.
    + Itunes is fairly userfriendly, and getting music from CD to I-pod is simplistic.
    + The wheel is classic innovation.
    + Playl;ist function is godly.

That's it for pluses, hold onto your hats folks...

- 300 for one? The only reason I got one was because it was a christmas present. I'd have rather they kept that money to one side for an Xbox360

- You NEED to plug it into a computer to charge it, otherwise you'll be forking out for an adapter

- If the computer it's linked to goes down, you cannot put any more music on it. This can mean an entire CD collection being put onto another computer.

- It's an apple product >.>

- NEEDS a cover to be purchased. My sisters broke within 3 hours of her taking it out, and it was just in her handbag and the screen cracked. Incidentally, the guy who delivered the I-pods to us, mentioned that he delivered 12 in our area. After christmas, he picked up 7 of those i-pods for various reasons.

- Apple circumventing trading standards. Real ****ing low. See also paying to have something replaced because the screen just isn't good enough.

- Low battery life. There's no point it being a video player if it wipes the battery.

- There's more, but i'm a busy cat.

I would not recommend an I-pod to the devil. Mainly because at somepoint down the road i'm gonna spend some time with the dude and I don't want him being pissed off with me. I-pods are ****e in the grand scheme of things. A dodgy MP3 player you buy in a pub after "seeing a man about a dog" would probably last you longer.

Just don't buy one, think of the kittens, and don't.

Dying

Undisclosed

Seems I'm in the minority but I've always been

and as a minority, I'm willing to be vocal.

I have an Ipod, a 60 gig one with video. It is simply awesome. I use it everyday. Today, for example, on the way to work (subway, Long Island Rail Road) I watched the most recent episode of the Office, and episode of The State and listened to Tom Waits. The only bad thing was that the fat lady sitting across from me kept smirking when I was laughing.

Yesterday, I came back from the library with 8 cds (Steve Miller Band, Glen Miller, Moby, Ten Years After, Steven Wright, Bill Hicks and 2 from Waits) plus two books on CD (Cell by King and Haunted by Pahlaniuk). They're all on my Ipod, waiting for me to listen to...tomm I have a couple of hours drive, gonna dig right in.

I've had other mp3 players. They're nothing compared to what I do with my Ipod and I heartily endorse them to anyone that will listen. My Ipod has 4164 songs, 11 movies, something like 40 tv shows and a hundred podcasts or so. It pretty much goes wherever I do. Sometimes I leave my cell phone at home, but the Ipod comes.

I do agree that I wish I could share my music around but that Apple doesn't allow it. My brother recently got some software that apparently works for this purpose. We'll see.

To answer your question, the USB will work fine. You'll need to have Itunes on your computer otherwise your computer will just identify it as an extra hard drive (unable to play music, unless you have Quicktime installed). The USB will charge it, synch it, etc. Someone else's comment about needing to pay more for a plug for charging is valid but its a cheap part. It is an adaptor for the USB plug that adapts it for a standard wall outlet. I actually usually use the Ipod Clock Radio, which is how I listen to the ipod in my bedroom.

Hope this helps.