Thread: What happened to Ogrish.com?!

Kazakhstan

What happened to Ogrish.com?!

it's been incorporated into some cuddly youtube-esque site called livewire.

i don't feel like i should go to prison for going on that site anymore, the thrill is gone.

Undisclosed
    It got shut down? Good--the site is made for, and by, sick *ssholes.

Kazakhstan
    well thank you for effectively calling me a sick arsehole, but it was handy for getting a better picture of the situation in the middle east. i know a lot of things about the iraq situation that the media has never touched (admittedly i woulda been happier not knowing a lot of it but hey, quest for truth and all that).

although the way they always had suicides and robberies gone wrong, and loads of people visited them was worrying.

even worse was the forum, where people posted pictures of death camps, and others left comments like "great pictures, thanks!" - weirdly cheery about it all.

Haiti
    Quote Originally Posted by _liam_ View Post
    well thank you for effectively calling me a sick arsehole, but it was handy for getting a better picture of the situation in the middle east. i know a lot of things about the iraq situation that the media has never touched (admittedly i woulda been happier not knowing a lot of it but hey, quest for truth and all that).

although the way they always had suicides and robberies gone wrong, and loads of people visited them was worrying.

even worse was the forum, where people posted pictures of death camps, and others left comments like "great pictures, thanks!" - weirdly cheery about it all.
    Come off it, Liam, to say that you visited Ogrish because "..it was handy for getting a better picture of the situation in the Middle East" is fairly lame, I'll bet that a penetrating analysis of the current geopolitical picture was the last thing on your mind when you visited that site.
    Last edited by Chakobsa; 04-Nov-2006 at 08:06 PM.
    The reasoning man who scorns the prejudices of simpletons necessarily becomes the enemy of simpletons; he must expect as much, and laugh at the inevitable.
    Marquis De Sade.

Kazakhstan
    Well i don't know what to say, that's why i went on there, i used to hear rumours and sketchy reports and i'd scour the listings in the war section, to verify stories such as whether or not a recent protest against Saddam's trial really was ended by iraqi police firing on the protestors, etc. content was updated daily in the war section in chronological order, making it easy to cross reference with a news report, this has gone with the redesign, which is why i took issue.

I don't know why you just assume i'd go on there for any other reason, cheers for presuming i'm a sicko once again (you do know me so well, after all). if you've made up your mind based on almost nothing whatsoever then what can i possibly say?

i realise there were other aspects to the site that were very much disreputable, such as the suicides etc, personally i don't understand why people would want to subject yourself to images like that, as we all know people are murdered and commit suicide, and there seems little to learn from viewing sad examples such as those.

maybe i am sick but i read & view media to with the Iraq situation within the same capacity as i would read/watch a book/documentary about world war 2 or vietnam, except this is history in progress instead of being viewed in retrospect, which for me makes it all the more compelling - again, maybe i am a sicko, but what is the difference between watching iraq-related media to watching ww2 documentaries and the like? how many years do you have to wait after the conflict before it's ok to research it? i think our media is extremely blinkered & filtered and if you really want to know whats going on, you have to be a proactive researcher and check every source you can.

i do realise that it is sometimes rather graphic material (and the site itself had a reputation, i was apprehensive at first, but i found it more newslike, professional and less leery than sites like rotten.com or the awful goregasm), and i suppose i do get why you think i'm strange (which is why im going on and on), if i'm honest with myself. but i'm not cold hearted, i have family serving in iraq, im not a totally detached sociopath, some of it is hard to watch, but then it's hard to read about stuff like unit 731 in ww2 or the sex slave trade in moldova, but that doesn't mean we should ignore it and forget about it, make it taboo. those who ignore history are condemned to repeat it and all that.

but then i suppose if you've made your mind up based on so little, then i nothing i say will make a difference.

...it's ok for people on other threads to gawp at motorcycle accidents or say they want to watch saddam's hanging though?...hmm.

if you simply don't like me, dont even bother attacking me or trying to piss me off (after 8 years im certainly not goin anywhere), just ignore my posts.
    Last edited by _liam_; 05-Nov-2006 at 04:23 PM.

Haiti
    Quote Originally Posted by _liam_ View Post
    Well i don't know what to say, that's why i went on there, i used to hear rumours and sketchy reports and i'd scour the listings in the war section, to verify stories such as whether or not a recent protest against Saddam's trial really was ended by iraqi police firing on the protestors, etc. content was updated daily in the war section in chronological order, making it easy to cross reference with a news report, this has gone with the redesign, which is why i took issue.

I don't know why you just assume i'd go on there for any other reason, cheers for presuming i'm a sicko once again (you do know me so well, after all). if you've made up your mind based on almost nothing whatsoever then what can i possibly say?

i realise there were other aspects to the site that were very much disreputable, such as the suicides etc, personally i don't understand why people would want to subject yourself to images like that, as we all know people are murdered and commit suicide, and there seems little to learn from viewing sad examples such as those.

maybe i am sick but i read & view media to with the Iraq situation within the same capacity as i would read/watch a book/documentary about world war 2 or vietnam, except this is history in progress instead of being viewed in retrospect, which for me makes it all the more compelling - again, maybe i am a sicko, but what is the difference between watching iraq-related media to watching ww2 documentaries and the like? how many years do you have to wait after the conflict before it's ok to research it? i think our media is extremely blinkered & filtered and if you really want to know whats going on, you have to be a proactive researcher and check every source you can.

i do realise that it is sometimes rather graphic material (and the site itself had a reputation, i was apprehensive at first, but i found it more newslike, professional and less leery than sites like rotten.com or the awful goregasm), and i suppose i do get why you think i'm strange (which is why im going on and on), if i'm honest with myself. but i'm not cold hearted, i have family serving in iraq, im not a totally detached sociopath, some of it is hard to watch, but then it's hard to read about stuff like unit 731 in ww2 or the sex slave trade in moldova, but that doesn't mean we should ignore it and forget about it, make it taboo. those who ignore history are condemned to repeat it and all that.

but then i suppose if you've made your mind up based on so little, then i nothing i say will make a difference.

...it's ok for people on other threads to gawp at motorcycle accidents or say they want to watch saddam's hanging though?...hmm.

if you simply don't like me, dont even bother attacking me or trying to piss me off (after 8 years im certainly not goin anywhere), just ignore my posts.
    Who said anything about not liking you? Just 'cause I questioned the reason that you chose that particular site to keep yourself informed doesn't mean I think you're some kind of sicko, I visited Ogrish once and didn't like it. If you find something of interest and value there then fair enough, though I would wager that you probably were drawn to Ogrish because of it's noteriety rather than it's unvarnished repotage.Whatever. You are free to look at what you want and I applaud free thinkers who go looking for their own news rather than swallowing what the conventional news media spoon feed us.

Having said all that, did you really think that you could mention such a controversial site without anyone commenting on it?

No one is trying to piss you off or attack you. Btw, I'll not be ignoring your posts 'cause I value everyones opinions and positions. I might not agree with 'em but I certainly don't dislike you for having them.
    The reasoning man who scorns the prejudices of simpletons necessarily becomes the enemy of simpletons; he must expect as much, and laugh at the inevitable.
    Marquis De Sade.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Chakobsa View Post
    Having said all that, did you really think that you could mention such a controversial site without anyone commenting on it?
    Ogrish? Isn't that the site where they show all those sick Iraqi beheading videos?

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnSpaulding View Post
    Ogrish? Isn't that the site where they show all those sick Iraqi beheading videos?
    That's the one.