Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Half Life 2 , game of the year 5 disc set...

United States

Finally sent Dr. Breen a "love letter "...

So , After some great advice from Captnspaulding , I was able to beat the Half Life 2 'experience' . The word 'game' dwindles the experience for me . In my opinion , Tetris , Gta (any of 'em ) , even Area 51 (ps2) and Ret. to Castle Wolfenstien are games . HL2 has brought it to almost like you are in a sci-fi novel , or film as a intrigal part . The characters you meet along the way who are fighting /helping you , are as well done as could be , for thier general statements ( though them reminding me to re-load got miffing , looking for a doorway out of an area they would say : "scuse me D. Freeman" , ect) . In one section of hwy 17 you go through an encampment , where you are introduced to D. Cubbage , get the rpg .I actually had genuine regard for these 'sentient' programs , ie, the wounded in the basement , I actually p/u a few medkits and set 'em next to them to help them . I just kinda got into it , my girlfriend says even though its' pointless to do so , it shows my character . This game has topped (for me ) all the FPS I have completed : Quake 2 (pc,ps) Duke nukem(n64, ps,Duke not FPS but you could do some things in that vien ) the entire Medal of Honor series upto Rising Sun (rising sun was sort of yawn), Return to Casle Wolfenstien (ps2, pc), Half Life (ps2) , Brothers in Arms , Darkwatch (did it in 3 days ps2 ho hum) , Area 51 (ps2), Black ( real good if you are a good user of weapons and firearms, tactics , or mayhave done "black wet-work " , in othr countries for covert reasons) ...Theres some I have left out , but basically I really started getting into Games in 1999 . A roomate in Orlando (whn I did some halloween horrornight acting) who was A+ cert. on computers had Q2 , installed it on his IBM in the living room , invited me to try it , I was like what the...? And I was hooked ... But Half Life 2 , really pushed the barriers for me . 1 thiing I doubt many others have caught , is just aftr ravenholm you cut through a trainyard , before you go into the wherehouse past the junk cars and a few combine , if you go all the way past the last tainker-
    traincar , look between the car and the brickwall : You will catch the G-Man walking with his suitcase , also in the high close quaters combat in city 17 , to the right of the bottom of a staircase , little tv w/ him on it . there are few other times youl catch him . This for me , was really friggin the best gaming experience I have had ...I have loaded 2 demos fro HL2 ep. 2 from steam , its very fast paced , more kick -ass . I just hoped that Gordon was gonna repopulate with Eli Vances' daughter , Alyx . She had sincere expressions , the vocal actor was really good and well directed . So , thanks for sharing , thanks for reading my op-ed on this 'experience' -cd rom trip ( anybody ever play Obsidian ? ) lol ...
    "Goodbye , I am gone."

Super Moderator

UK
    Hell yeah, Alyx Vance is a nice piece of ass alright.

HL2 really does drag you into the whole experience, it is like an unravelling novel or film and all the nice little touches here and there are excellent. Yes indeedy, the unprecedented level of "humanism" brought to the AI is fantastic, the glint in their eyes, the facial expressions - fantastic. There are other games which have fancy ass graphics and play really well, but do they have soul? That's something HL2 has - soul. There's an unspoken subtextual story going on, you feel many things have happened before in the over all story, before you turn up and start experiencing things first hand.

If only it didn't involve that friggin' Steam thingy *sigh*.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Hell yeah, Alyx Vance is a nice piece of ass alright.

HL2 really does drag you into the whole experience, it is like an unravelling novel or film and all the nice little touches here and there are excellent. Yes indeedy, the unprecedented level of "humanism" brought to the AI is fantastic, the glint in their eyes, the facial expressions - fantastic. There are other games which have fancy ass graphics and play really well, but do they have soul? That's something HL2 has - soul. There's an unspoken subtextual story going on, you feel many things have happened before in the over all story, before you turn up and start experiencing things first hand.

If only it didn't involve that friggin' Steam thingy *sigh*.
    Agreed Minion , Steam seems like it doesnt want to "... give you the steam off its' sh*t ..."
    "Goodbye , I am gone."

capncnut
    I'm glad you were finally able to complete it buddy. As I said before, "anything to help a brother out".