Thread: EA shutdown BF2 servers

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

EA shutdown BF2 servers

I hadn't played Battlefield 2, for the XBOX, in a couple of months. About four days ago I decided to play it and immediatly became hooked all over again. I was playing the best I've ever played, getting 60 PPH.

Tonight I was playing when all of a sudden I get disconnected from my game (not a big surprise) but then I got kicked out of the XBOX Live part of BF2 altogether and couldn't get back in.

So I decided to check a bunch of message boards to see if other people had the same problem and came across a ton of people saying EA shut down the farking servers! As in for good!

Apparently they shutdown servers for like 20 other games they put out on the XBOX and PS2 over the past few months.

What the fark is their deal? I paid good money for this game and it really is the sole reason I pay for XBOX Live and they're going to just shut down their servers? I am furious right now.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i am really not surprised ,as my rant a few weeks back explained i am not a fan of ea and hvent bought an ea game in years for these sort of reasons.

Super Moderator

UK
    Damn Mike, that sucks. Doesn't surprise me with EA though, for every 10% innovation they bring to the table (e.g. Battlefield 1942) they bring 90% bastardisation and franchise ultra-milking until the franchise is nothing more than a lifeless, limp and thoroughly used rag.

EA and their relationship with customers is extremely poor. Their pricing of their products for instance, BF2 was out for months and months and months and not once did it go down in price, at least not that I saw anyway. It just sat there (for PC) on around £28, which is quite a lot when you've got no money...

So they didn't even give any warning about shutting down servers for a game that isn't even that old? Geez, that sucks. They can expect a fanbase backlash sometime soon methinks...

England
    Does that apply to the servers for the PC version as well???it best not do,ive not been on for a couple of weeks but i love that game online!

Super Moderator

UK
    If it's for the PC as well, then it's another definitive nail in EA's conffin in terms of market research and knowing their target audience. The way they treat the customer and nothing more than a consumer is awful, at least there are plenty of other manufacturers who are much better - but sadly they don't have as much of the output or own the rights to some major franchises.

No wonder the guys who set up Infinity Ward had defected from EA and Medal of Honour to create the better franchise that was/is Call of Duty. Valve too - innovation and a quality product, mind you, Valve would do well to look into not being so slack on their target dates - I recently heard that HL2: Episode 2 is coming out summer 2007 now - it was originally slated for winter 2006...and here I was thinking (like Valve said) that episodic gaming was quicker to produce and wouldn't be subject to delays...

England
    Hmmm,valve,now although valve games are decent,i really dont like steam!the sheer amount of fart arsing about when you install a game is unreal!also i paid £30 for red orchestra a few months ago,then when i installed it i was informed that i didnt actually own the game,i had merely paid for a license to play the game supposedly to eliminate the second hand market,though i dont see why that is a problem!personally i keep all games i buy even after completion,but a lot of people dont & i dont see why they shouldnt be allowed to sell them on once they've finished with them!

Super Moderator

UK
    I know, the second hand market doesn't mean piracy, it means someone else is playing a legit copy - it's just Valve being greedy as hell, which is a really arsey thing to do. And you're right, the sheer farting about you have when installing a game with Steam is unreal. I remember installing HL2 and man alive, it took an hour or more with initial updates (and this was the month of release too!) to get it on there.

I recently came to update the game and download Lost Coast and it took hours, absolutely pathetic. The developers need to focus on making good games and people will buy it - and HL2 is such an example of good gaming. People will always find a way around (and such a way was found even with Steam), so why even bother? Just focus on creating a really good game.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Okay, looks like they put BF2 back online. This did not apply to the PC version, only XBOX.

I'm pretty sure they pulled the plug on a lot of the servers, though. Because there was hardly any and they were all pretty laggy, last I checked. I haven't been able to get in an east coast server for 3 days now and it's a miracle if I can stay in a server for more than 30 minutes without getting disconnected. Everyone's sharing the same problems.

It seems like they're creeping up on pulling the plug entirely. I know it will be the same for the PS2 version, also. Wouldn't be surprised if they did it to the PC servers, either, considering BF 2142 came out. Remember what happened to the 1942 servers once BF2 came out? Kaput.

This company really does not care about the consumer and won't be getting any more of my money. I will buy their games used but not new.