Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT View Post
I dont think that the video transfer of Dawn sucks. The Ultimate edition is probably better than any of the older ones, and certainly better than an old VHS copy. As far as the "sheen" of new movies goes, I dont even want that. Part of the appeal to me of horror movies made it that era are that they dont have that sheen. Imagine if the original "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" was filmed exactly the same way, but on hi-def super-8. It would have far less impact. The cheap quality of special effects would show up even more. Also, it would lose a kind of "documentary feel" that it has due to the lack of sheen.

damn straight man thats why i like asian cinema ,particularly horror as well ,especially compard to the sleek adn shiny remakes, i think that little bit of grain makes it seem more home movie-ish and a little more scary, though to be honest im very desensitised to horror the only things that creeped me out in the last ten years has probably been the masters of horror imprint ep, though that was squirming more than scared and the grudge origional was scary for me, but i think it wouldnt have worked as well if it was sleek and shiny.

...hang on (comes back after checking out the remake), no , no it isnt as scary