Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Pete Doherty

United Kingdom
    ow come on give a good example not a tv interview. I don't know if anyone will like but here are a couple of GOOD videos that may change people mind on him, maybe not for the sound track though

The Libertines - Time For Heros
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=VwhHdeHJ1Yk

The Libertines- Can't Stand Me know
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=qVOjj0Gcl0E

Pete Doherty - Beg, Steal or borrow (solo)
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=ahIrY-YiS4s
    I think this is a nice video of him live

Babyshambles - Albion
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=jbYMK8XbAd4

Babyshambles - F**K forever
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=vYDiUK1spx0
    In the End Its All Just A Gag - Charlie Chaplin

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

What ever happened to singing in key?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Gouldy View Post
    The Libertines - Time For Heros
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=VwhHdeHJ1Yk

Pete Doherty - Beg, Steal or borrow (solo)
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=ahIrY-YiS4s
    Time for Heroes is Kinks. All the way. The drummer is pretty good on the stuttery parts

The other one is pure smiths except Johnny Marr never missed so many notes in an intro and whats with that Poncy pink suit on the MC?!?!

I coukd see how someone could be real into this stuff. I dont think it suck at all like the other do. I just think HE is a dick.

The songs aren't bad they are just extremely derivative. But I guess if someone never heard it it's new to them. I have definately heard worse. Like the extremely sucky and derivative Stone Temple Piolits. This Guy is Mozart compared to them. I like to brick Scott Wieland in his temple . Talk about a junkie asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post

What ever happened to singing in key?
    Uh, Dylan, Jerry Garcia, Neil Young?
    Beiong out of tune doesn't mean you suck many have turned being off into an artform into itself
    Last edited by coma; 10-Nov-2006 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by coma View Post
    Uh, Dylan, Jerry Garcia, Neil Young?
    Beiong out of tune doesn't mean you suck many have turned being off into an artform into itself

Okay....Ill give it to ya that Dylan and Young get out of key on some songs(on some they stay in).....but Garcia held his own. If anything, Bob Weir was the one slipping up sometimes.

Besides.....those guys do it with a sort of finesse. This guy sounds like he got punched in the throat, drank nitroclycerine, and had a wolf gnaw on his naugty bits while he was recording.

Sorry. Just judging from those links you posted. I'm not saying all of his pieces are like that....but those are.

Kazakhstan
    yeh pretty much 50% of my issue with it. i wouldnt even open my mouth if he didnt get so much media coverage & adoration from the music press.

although leave off his voice, johnny rotten and alice cooper cant sing as well as r kelly...

i have to say, as a pop star, he's EXCELLENT. so he squirts journalists with blood? brilliant!!! they deserve it. music journalists are plankton.

that's better than x factor or will young in my book. pop/rock stars are supposed to be stupid, reckless and slightly dangerous, in my book anyway. sid vicious kicked the crap out of the spice girls.
    the only thing is, you need tunes to back it up, and like you said, i dont think he's far enough from many established acts to warrant such attention.

although i do like that "oh you f***ing waster...you pissed it all up the wall" tune he does.

for all the negative things ive said about him, i do think that if he cleans up his act he may well write a decent LP (imo) some day, he does know his onions.

gouldy - havent got one of his footy zines myself, but i will dig out the letter he wrote about the manic street preachers in the early nineties and post it here, it's worth a read...

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by _liam_ View Post
    gouldy - havent got one of his footy zines myself, but i will dig out the letter he wrote about the manic street preachers in the early nineties and post it here, it's worth a read...
    if this is the one im thinking of i think i may have it, if it is the one where he is talking about Richie Edwards, it may be the one re-printed in NME last year whicfh was a Richie Edwards special.

And there is another Famous man with no talent, he was an amazing person and exressed himself so much but he was a dreadful rhythm played and the Manics even unpluged him on stage

Kazakhstan
    ah yes, that's the one, but i have to disagree there, although richey manic couldn't play guitar for crap, he wrote incredible lyrics, few people have managed to boil down the human condition to 4 minute pop songs without sounding pink floyd-pompous. the "in utero" beater, imho.

archives of pain. now there's a solo.

"the holy bible" is the single most underrated album ever made. imo!!!

it's a cross between PiL, joy division, stiff little fingers and the sex pistols for those who know not what im blathering on about.

check out "of walking abortion" and "archives of pain". i find an androgynous, cross dressing welsh punk who is so right wing totally fascinating.

and despite the merciless barrage of mediocrity that followed richey manic's (still unsolved) disappearence, theyre still a tight as hell live band.

interesting how pete doherty is consistently compared to richey.

United Kingdom
    OMG! yes the Holy Bible is an amazing album, and yes he wrote amazing lyrics, but i thought he only played rythm bass and write lyrics. But yes i think the holy bible should have been promoted soo much more. I saw the manics live last year and i was blown away.

Yeah i suppose pete doherty has been compared to him becasue they both seem a generations misfits and they both have had thier own publicity: Pete Doherty for his drugs, Richie Edwards for carving 4REAL into his arm.

PETE DOHERTY + RICHIE EDWARDS now that would be an amazing duet

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    Okay....Ill give it to ya that Dylan and Young get out of key on some songs(on some they stay in).....but Garcia held his own. If anything, Bob Weir was the one slipping up sometimes.

Besides.....those guys do it with a sort of finesse. This guy sounds like he got punched in the throat, drank nitroclycerine, and had a wolf gnaw on his naugty bits while he was recording.

Sorry. Just judging from those links you posted. I'm not saying all of his pieces are like that....but those are.
    Bob Wier is a crap playing, Bad singing, short shorts wearing little prep school knob. Thats why I didn't mention her

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Kazakhstan
    Quote Originally Posted by Gouldy View Post
    OMG! yes the Holy Bible is an amazing album, and yes he wrote amazing lyrics, but i thought he only played rythm bass and write lyrics.
    ah no, he wrote about 70% of the lyrics and titted about with rhythm guitar. the party line is nicky wire recorded the bass chops but personally i think james dean bradfield and sean moore did all of the music on record.

recorded for £75 a night in a demo studio in cardiff's red light district. rock n roll.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by _liam_ View Post
    "the holy bible" is the single most underrated album ever made. imo!!!

it's a cross between PiL, joy division, stiff little fingers and the sex pistols for those who know not what im blathering on about.
    I know what your blathering about, it's certainly the Manic's finest hour.

Ahh PIL, I miss that group.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by coma View Post
    Bob Wier is a crap playing, Bad singing, short shorts wearing little prep school knob. Thats why I didn't mention her
    Now, I love the Dead....and attended MANY shows (lost count) (oh, including the last Jerry show )....but, you're right about Bob....you forgot one thing.....when he was singing, he would NEVER shut up and repeated the last line of the song a million times....or was that the acid I took?
    I never understood the short short bluejean cutoffs, the sandals and the polo shirts....
    Now, Phil Lesh!!!! That guy is STILL kicking out great shows! Saw him a few months ago!!
    Last edited by Adrenochrome; 10-Nov-2006 at 11:28 PM.

Kazakhstan
    lol, how did i guess you were a dead fan. fair shout man!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenochrome View Post
    Now, I love the Dead....and attended MANY shows (lost count) (oh, including the last Jerry show )....but, you're right about Bob....you forgot one thing.....when he was singing, he would NEVER shut up and repeated the last line of the song a million times....or was that the acid I took?
    I never understood the short short bluejean cutoffs, the sandals and the polo shirts....
    Now, Phil Lesh!!!! That guy is STILL kicking out great shows! Saw him a few months ago!!
    Me too, though I was the only guy there with a Black Flag shirt. I saw em like 75 times but I saw them at Shoreline in 93 or 94 and the whole scene (california shows scenewise were sketchy and lame) and show sucked so bad that I wrote the whole thing off. Anthem of the Sun and Aoxomoxoa are still some of my favorite records. Aoxomoxoa has bad ass cover. I saw them all over but I think MSG is the best. Maybe because I lived 2 block away
    Oh sweet windowpane, where have you gone?
    Jerry had a lot of personality but Bob seemed to be there as a favor to someone, being his skills were vastly inferior. Like a Linda MacCartney.
    Now, Phil lesh, a good example of bad but good singer. That quadraphonic bass sound was sick as hell. I will never piss on Phil.
    Last edited by coma; 11-Nov-2006 at 12:26 AM.

Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenochrome View Post
    I've seen Lesh 3 times this year.

He played a "Phill and Friends" show at Bonnaroo this year, then I saw "Phil and Trey" (Anastasio) twice in Vegas on Halloween weekend. Once at the Vegoose Festival and once at the MGM grand.

Lesh can still tear it up. I got to see a show during the last "The Dead" tour in the Summer of 04 also at Roo.

Sad thing is, if you want to see some real "Dead" music performed by original members, then you better get it soon. Phil is pretty much the last touring member (Bob still does occasionally) and he just announced in the summer that he has prostate cancer (Phil Lesh that is). Who know how that may affect his future. He said he was expecting a full recovery, but isn't that what everyone says?
    "I Like Your Christ, I Do Not Like Your Christians,
    Your Christians Are So Unlike Your Christ."
    ~Mohandas K. Ghandi