Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Thing remake...

Super Moderator

UK
    *raises huge hand canon to head ... pulls trigger ... brains go EVERYWHERE*

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY???????????!!!!!!!!!!

For crying out loud, hurry up and get this new fangled 3-D technology so Hollywood can abuse another fad into the grave! ENOUGH with these utterly turd remakes, if a film is made specifically to make a calculated amount of money - guaranteed it's going to be complete rubbish.

*sigh*

I watched Carpenter's version on Halloween and it was utterly fantastic as always. When the f*ck will sh*ttywood learn - you cannot manufacture a successful and legendary flick, especially a cult classic.

Christmas Island
    Quote Originally Posted by Terran View Post
    I agree with you with the exception of one effect in the movie....

Remember when Windows, and the rest are strapped into the chairs...and it turns out the middle guy is infected....and he rips windows up and the like whole body splits in half to a whole mouth...

And the Thing attacks Windows....bitting him and flipping him up and down ...breaking the overhead lights eventually releasing him throwing him against the wall...

Well while the Thing is flipping Windows up and down...Windows looks very fake in several brief glimpses we get of him...(rag doll ish ....and puppet like...bouncing around in impossible fashions)...

Thats a very bad a effect and might have been better if it were cut out all together.....like the head splits....bites into Windows...they throws him against the wall...
    Also notice when Palmer leaps up to the ceiling, a piece of ceiling falls on the ceiling?

As for remake 2, best thing to do is to ignore it, watch the original or Carpenter's to our heart's content, and hope remake 2 bombs like Hiroshima, giving the corporate bean-counters a lesson they deserve.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnKnut View Post
    Agreed. I also HATED the effect in the kennels when the dog beast sprouts what can only be described as a massive flower. Apparently it was a star-like mouth with rows of canine teeth!
    oh I really liked that part....the Kennel is one of my favorite parts

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

United States
    "There was another death sequence for the radio operator Windows. In the film Windows hesitates and is attacked by Palmer-Thing and tossed aside, seriously hurt and most likely already being taken over by the Thing. He is unceremoniously torched by MacReady who does not hesitate. Another storyboarded scene was planned for Windows' demise. It is similar to his death in the novel. Windows trying to escape from the Thing is attacked and dragged away to his death. Interestingly enough, the script has Windows biting down on a cyanide capsule just before he is engulfed by the Thing."

http://www.outpost31.com/movie/deletedscenes.html

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Terran View Post
    oh I really liked that part....the Kennel is one of my favorite parts
    I loved the kennel scene but I just thought that particular effect was lame. My favourite part of the entire film (I am probably not alone on this) is the spider-head sequence.

Is it just me or do you guys turn away at the thumb-slicing blood test part?
    Last edited by capncnut; 19-Nov-2006 at 08:03 PM.

Undisclosed
    I loved the kennel scene but I just thought that particular effect was lame. My favourite part of the entire film (I am probably not alone on this) is the spider-head sequence.

Yeah it just seems like an odd place to slice yourself....

Like slice your forearm.......I mean even the back of the hand is better than the thumb.... That thumb is going to bother you for like a week...

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

Banned User

United States

Great minds think alike. The spider head thing was a great scene. John Carpenter's version was wonderful I think they need to leave well enough alone.

capncnut
    I totally love the original version too and I loved the way they incorporated it into the remake when they are checking the videotapes.

Super Moderator

UK
    *shudders*

Totally, the thumb slicing - particularly the sound (as you don't actually see flesh being cut) is the bit I always reel from, such things give me the shudders. And yeah, it would bother you for ages with that flap of skin flapping away, it makes bathtime really annoying, and going to the toilet, and washing your hands...mind you, I guess in their situation they're not too bothered about such things.

I've got the Hawks version on video, taped it off the TV a couple or so years ago, but still haven't gotten around to watching it. Will have to dig it out of my cupboard...

United States
    [QUOTE=CapnKnut;50492]I loved the kennel scene but I just thought that particular effect was lame. My favourite part of the entire film (I am probably not alone on this) is the spider-head sequence.

Windows : " You GOTTA be F*#KING KIDDING ME! " awesome ...

Continued the story from the rescue team arrives at the outpost , and show infection-invasion spread from there . Its forshadowed in Carpenters version ...
    Last edited by DVW5150; 23-Nov-2006 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "Goodbye , I am gone."