Thread: Rock and Roll?

Undisclosed

Rock and Roll?

Does anyone know when the term/phrase "Rock and Roll" was coined...I didnt feel like searching for it...and its been driving me crazy....

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

Kazakhstan
    i think it goes back to the black gospel type music roots of the genre, rocking meant to be touched by god, and i think the roll part refers to the touring element of performing. ie you rock people, then roll to the next venue...

the 1st bit is almost certainly correct i think
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Terran View Post
    Does anyone know when the term/phrase "Rock and Roll" was coined...I didnt feel like searching for it...and its been driving me crazy....
    It means boning. Rockin and Rollin in the back seat etc.
    And Jazz was from Jizz (semen in case thats a US expression)
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

ViP

United States
    I love wikipedia

"Rocking was a term first used by black gospel singers in the American South to mean something akin to spiritual rapture. By the 1940s, however, the term was used as a double entendre, ostensibly referring to dancing, but with the subtextual meaning of sex, as in Roy Brown's "Good Rocking Tonight." This type of song was usually relegated to "race music" outlets (music industry code for rhythm and blues stations) and was rarely heard by mainstream white audiences."

"In 1951, Cleveland, Ohio disc jockey Alan Freed began playing this type of music for a multi-racial audience. Freed is credited with coining the phrase "rock and roll" to describe the rollicking R&B music. While working as a disc jockey at radio station WJW in Cleveland, he also organized the first rock and roll concert, called "The Moondog Coronation Ball" on March 21, 1952. The event, attended mainly by African Americans, proved a huge drawing card — the first event had to be ended early due to overcrowding. Thereafter, Freed organized many rock and roll shows attended by both whites and blacks, further helping to introduce African-American musical styles to a wider audience."

United States
    Hey, we are both right. Nice job.

I still say jazz = a load
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Kazakhstan
    Quote Originally Posted by axlish View Post
    I love wikipedia

"Rocking was a term first used by black gospel singers in the American South to mean something akin to spiritual rapture.
    I AM THE TRIVIA KING
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE