Thread: More Computer Help Im stumped! Help ASAP if you CAN!

Undisclosed

More Computer Help Im stumped! Help ASAP if you CAN!

You may remember me asking questions a while ago about a crappy laptop that I was fixing up.

Well one turned into two crappy laptops....

And now Ive finally fixed both....very time consuming because I am no expert on computers...everything I know is self taught and read from forums...

Background: (skip it you remember)

I had to upgrade the BIOS which took me a while to manuver because for one I did not know how vital this was to the probelms I was dealing with.
    One of the computer's BIOS was so old that it did not have a pre-boot hot key to access the settings. This computer also did not have a floppy drive so I had no way to make a boot disk. I was about to give up on it but by a stroke of luck my moms old desktop still used floppys and so I figured before giving up on the laptop try updating various software....So I updated the BIOS.... Suddenly I could push F11, preboot, to access the settings...Finally I was able to change boot priorities to boot from CD drive before Harddrive...
    This allowed me to reformat the computer. I then updated the Intel 430 chipset.... I had some trouble with the Graphics...the laptop used some old hardware took me a while to find a NeoMagic MagicGraph 128XD driver that worked.....
    So here comes the question/probelm
    Almost everything I can think of is fixed now on this cruddy laptop....I got all the video codecs, Winzip, etc....like all the vital stuff you accumulated on your computer over time that you take for granted (DirectX...etc)....

I had transfer all this crap via blank CDs....
    What I should have done is concentrated on the Ethernet card....if I fixed that I would have been able to just get all these files off the network without having to go through the time consuming process of CD burning back and forth back and forth between my Desktop and the laptop.

But this ethernet card fustrated me early on and I gave up on it to try other things....but now its the only thing really left to fix....

Its a Dynex 32-bit Fast Ethernet Cardbus Adapter... Model: DX-E201 ...
    Product Features

Runs half- or full-duplex modes at speeds of 10, 20, 100 or 200 Mbps
    Easy plug-and-play installation
    LED indicators for link and activity
    Hot-swappable insert; can be removed without shutting down

Product Details
    Speed 10/100 Mbps
    Interface Slot Type PCMCIA
    System Requirements PC with IntelŪ PentiumŪ processor 133MHz or faster, 32MB hard drive, available 32-bit CardBus slot; CD-ROM drive
    LAN Connection Ethernet
    LEDs Activity, Link

Number of Ports 1

Ive been to the companies website to download the drivers...
    http://www.dynexproducts.com/p-487-3...s-adapter.aspx
    But I just cant seem to get it to work....Im not sure if its failing through my computer ignorance or from some other probelm....Ill explain what Ive tried so far.

Plugging in the card brings up what one would expect. "Detected New PCI device" or whatever .....prompting me to find drivers...so I dont think that the device is defective.

From the website one downloads DX-E201_Drivers.exe. Running the exe prompts you to select a file to put the archived expansion into. I just created a new file called drivers temporarily...
    If you would like to know what files the .exe installs either download it yourself or ask and Ill post the text that lists all the files in the Root directory along with all thats in all the subdirectories.

It appeared to me that the DX-E201_Drivers.exe from the company website included drivers for many different operating systems. I thought I was about to totally fix the computer. I plugged in the Dynex 32-bit Fast Ethernet Cardbus Adapter DX-E201 I was prompted to choose between "searching for the best driver for the device(recomended)" or "Display the list of all the drivers in a specific location, so you can select the driver you want"....

I chose to "search for the best driver for the device". I then chose to "specify the location". I selected the folder "Drivers" for the installation to look for the proper drivers(C:\windows\desktop\drivers).

Windows was unable to locate a driver for this device.

So I tried to be more specific (C:\windows\desktop\drivers\WIN98). The laptop uses Windows 98 second edition.

Windows was unable to locate a driver for this device.

I tried the other closely related operating systems just to see if they worked...all the same.

So I got a bit frustrated so I opened up the PDF installation manual that came with the DX-E201_Drivers.exe.

This is there instructions:
    Pre-installation
    You must have at least the following:
    Windows XP/2000/Me/98SE
    One Availible Cardbus Slot
    CD-Rom Drive
    Package Contents:
    DX-E201
    CD-Rom (containing Manual and Warranty) [Since this was given to me as is I do not have the CD]

So I followed the instructions.

To install the device drivers:
    1. Start your computer. Windows will automatically detect the presence of the Dynex DX-E201 PC card in your laptop. *check*
    2. The Add New Hard Wizard will automatically start. Click Next.*check*
    3. Select Search for the best drivers for your device (Recommended). Click Next. *check*
    4. Insert the Dynex DX-E201 driver CD in the CD-Rom. If an Autorun screen appears, close it.(I dont have the CD so I think I made one)
    [I thought maybe this CD issue was the probelm but then I thought, the DX-E201_driver.exe appears to be the contents of the driver CD since it has an autorun application and everything...I burned the contents of the folder "driver" on a CD formatted as a data CD...The autorun works correctly when you insert the CD but the autorun doesnt begin a driver installation its just like information about the product, manual, download Adobe Acrobat.etc.]
    5. Select Specify a location. Clear any other checked options. In the "Specify a location" field, type D:\WIN98 (Enter D where "D" is your CD-ROM drive). Click Next. *Check*
    6. Windows locates the Dynex DX-E201 PC card driver and is now ready to install the driver. Click Next. *FAILURE* "Windows was unable to locate a driver for this device".

So this is where Im stuck at. Ive tried to install the drivers by several different methods. Ive tried installing when installation is triggered by Automatic detection (like the instructions say)... Ive tried installing it by manually entering into add/remove new hardware....Ive tried going into device manager and installing it that way. Ive tried failing to install the drivers to see if it would work anyway. Ive tried attributing other ethernet drivers to the device and then tried updating/repairing the driver using the correct driver.....and Ive tried all these methods both from the CD I created and from the file "drivers" that I created. And Ive tried all these alternative methods CD/NO CD/How installation is triggered/all the drivers(windows 95-windowsXP).....

So as you can probally tell Ive spent a while messing with this, thats 45 different attempts just going once through all those variables...not to mention other repeat attempts or other random trys like trying from restart with device being autodetect on boot. I even started the same process over again in desperation, but using the drivers for the DX-E101 which is a Desktop PC ethernet card.....

I beg anyone that enjoys solving or helping fix computer issues to help me out or guide me.

I have a couple of ideas of what may be the probelm or issue:

IF the CD is the issue is there something wrong with the way I set up the CD (I thought this was unlikely. I dont see why it would matter whether the driver/driver information is on a CD or in a folder. Unless there is some sort of installation protocol that is needed for windows and the device to recognize the drivers).

Is there some other issue with the computer that is just manifesting itself in a failure to install drivers for an ethernet card. Like is there some sort of hardware on the computer that is used to properly access and link the ethernet card to its driver information. So like a failure in this device would prevent installation because windows will not recognize the correct drivers for the card unless this device is properly functioning...I dunno just a random idea.

Ive tried downloading drivers from different locations in case for some reason the driver files were flawed or corrupted. All locations use what appears to be the identical file that is located on the Dynex website. Nothing visually different. File sizes the same, files named the same, # of files the same.

Thats all I can come up with for reasons why it wont work. Even if people reading this dont know how to help me out, but can think of more reasons why the driver installation fails please respond with those suggestions because it gives me more avenues to search for solutions.

Ill end with a question.
    Lets say for some reason I just cant get the drivers that are designed for this device to work. Is it possible to still use this device using foreign drivers. Like you know how you can install a printer and use drivers from similiar printer models, and can even print using drivers from different name brand printers(Like HP Laser Jet drivers used for an Epson Stylus Photo...the printing alignment and format is all screwed up but it will still print).
    Is it possible to do the same thing with a 32-bit Fast Ethernet Cardbus Adapter. If so are there particular things I should look for in the device that a foreign driver gives information for. Like would certain types or models of device's drivers be more compatible with my card.
    So if that is possible what things should I look for to ensure greatest level of compatibility.

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    1. How are the drivers built? Most drivers are just an .exe file you can run, and it will install manually. THEN the card will search for it. Is this how you did it? So for instance, you put in your drivers CD into the ROM and install it manually, by pressing the "dynex_drivers.exe" file (or whatever). It will install. You reboot. Then the card works? I assume that you already tested this if this was intended.

Is there some other issue with the computer that is just manifesting itself in a failure to install drivers for an ethernet card. Like is there some sort of hardware on the computer that is used to properly access and link the ethernet card to its driver information. So like a failure in this device would prevent installation because windows will not recognize the correct drivers for the card unless this device is properly functioning...
    Unlikely, unless it's a virus. And since you just rebooted the only problem I can think off would be a hardware problem.

Is it possible to still use this device using foreign drivers.
    I'd be damned straight to hell if this worked! You might try it, but if you want my opinion that would just be wasting your time. VERY unlikely to work.

My thinking is that it's not the drivers, it's your device. Here's why, I think:

You must have at least the following:
    Windows XP/2000/Me/98SE
    You said you have 98. But do you have 98SE? Did you test with any of the others? ME is the one that's closest, but it sucks.

In anycase, I don't think it's the drivers. I think it's your card that's gone busted. How old is it? I assume you didn't just buy it considering you didn't have the product CD with it. In any case, I think it's been busted somehow. Hardware problem, definetly. The computer will still recognize it as an "unknown device" or whatever it says, but that doesn't mean it will actually work.

I suggest you go out and get a new one. But first you might want to test this Etheret card on another computer and see if it works there.

Undisclosed
    Thanks a ton for your input....(been a bit distracted from the computer issues because Im developing an indepth post for the Global Warming thread....everyones favorite thread to ignore because its boring...lol)

1. How are the drivers built? Most drivers are just an .exe file you can run, and it will install manually. THEN the card will search for it. Is this how you did it? So for instance, you put in your drivers CD into the ROM and install it manually, by pressing the "dynex_drivers.exe" file (or whatever). It will install. You reboot. Then the card works? I assume that you already tested this if this was intended.
    I thought I might have explained that part poorly....I explained it better actually in my draft post but it was far too long so I had to edit it....
    the dynex_drivers.exe is what you download from the companies site. When you run this .exe it isnt self installing it asks you for a place to put an archive of information. It almost acts like a single .rar file, which holds a bunch of files, so by running the dynex_drivers.exe you are extracting all the files and applications..... I would go as far to say that it works exactly like a single compressed winzip file that contains many files or a single .rar that contains many files....the only difference being you dont need any additional software to extract the files.......

It appears to me that the files extracted from dynex_drivers.exe are the files that would have been included on that CD....the give away I think is the "autorun" file...why would an archive of information need an autorun file?(Rhetorical....lol)....When you burn these files onto a CD under "data disk" format the CD works like what one would expect an included CD for this product to work.....you insert the CD it auto detects ...and brings up a big logo for product with options along the right....none of the options are for installation though....View Manual....View Installation Guide....Install Adobe Ac....Visit dynex.com (lol).....

Amongst the subdirectories that dynex_driver.exe created one is Windows 98...and in that folder is:
    DXE201
    System file
    25kb
    In its propertie it is identified as NDIS 5.0 driver
    also in this folder is:

NETDXER5
    Setup Information
    12kb

So these are the files I want.....one is the Driver....the other is the setupinformation for the driver.....

So your first answer?/statment?/question?....the dynex_driver.exe does not even try to install the drivers it just installs the CD that has the drivers on it.....the instructions tell you to access Add New Hardware Wizard and search the "CD" for the drivers. Thats how its supposed to get installed....

ME: Is there some other issue with the computer that is just manifesting itself in a failure to install drivers for an ethernet card. Like is there some sort of hardware on the computer that is used to properly access and link the ethernet card to its driver information. So like a failure in this device would prevent installation because windows will not recognize the correct drivers for the card unless this device is properly functioning...
    Unlikely, unless it's a virus. And since you just rebooted the only problem I can think off would be a hardware problem.
    Yeah I think I can say its definitely not a virus....very recently reformatted deleting everything and everything new on the laptop came from my desktop which is virus/malware clean....
    I just thought that I updated the drivers for the Intel 430 Chipset and unpdated the BIOS because they were horribly out of date to the point where the laptop could not function properly.....I wondered wether the laptop has hardware responcible for proper implementation and installation of network type devices or all added devices for that matter.....because if this hardware does exist its drivers would also be horribly out of date.... and since the card is relatively new in comparision maybe this hardware cant recognize it properly with its dated drivers.....
    then again I dont know if this hardware exists so I probally shouldnt concern myself with it....only as a last resort.....

The original owner of this laptop had no clue....they installed XP on a ancient laptop designed to run Windows 95....at one point had a dial up modem....then upgraded the computer to broadband with this card....
    which doesnt make any sense considering how slowly the computer ran everything.....64mb ram?! with XP installed only 800MBs of free space on the harddrive....

I am told though that when I first recieved this computer before I reformatted it that it could connect to the internet through this card....

You said you have 98. But do you have 98SE? Did you test with any of the others? ME is the one that's closest, but it sucks.
    Yeah I have 98SE and in the first post in this thread I said that I tried drivers for Win95 through Windows XP (though it might have been missed because I used a dash instead of "through")

I suggest you go out and get a new one. But first you might want to test this Etheret card on another computer and see if it works there.
    No way Im going out to buy anything for use in this extraordinarily useless computer....I have a specific use in mind....but I need the card to work...
    If I was going to buy anything I would buy a wireless card.....anyone got any for Desktop or Laptop that they'll give away? lol....

In anycase, I don't think it's the drivers. I think it's your card that's gone busted. How old is it? I assume you didn't just buy it considering you didn't have the product CD with it. In any case, I think it's been busted somehow. Hardware problem, definetly. The computer will still recognize it as an "unknown device" or whatever it says, but that doesn't mean it will actually work.
    I still have hope that it works. Even with drivers not installed the LEDs on the device light up when plugged into Network. Otherwise they are not lit.

This bit makes me think that it works.....
    If I plug the laptop directly up to my desktop so that an ethernet cable connects my desktop computer to the network card installed in the laptop interesting things happen. When they just sit there connected my desktop computer says that its ethernet card is not connected to a network. Whenever I try to install the drivers or find drivers...like while the prompt for selecting drivers from a list is up suddenly my desktop becomes connected to a network....So that at least means that information from the laptop is capable of making it to the card....and it also means that the card is capable of relaying information.....

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Ok, to make sure that it is the drivers that are spooking around, try installing the card on another computer (if you have one available) and see if it works, because if it does then you can definetly rule out a hardware problem. I've had many graphics card give up the ghost on me in a similar manner, so that would be the best bet.

I downloaded the drivers and you're right, installation seems super easy. So it's probably not the drivers that's wrong either... Which makes it even harder to troubleshoot.

And this is a pretty odd way for drivers to work, by the way. Usually, there is at least some kind of .exe file that, once you have uploaded all the files, will start the installation process. But now there isn't? I've never come across that before. Usually you can do it both ways: Search for drivers in the same way that this one does, or install it using that .exe file.

If there proves to be no hardware problem, I am at a loss.

United States
    Man, I remember headaches involved in setting proper IRQ numbers and the like to get software to work.

And I've had problems with stupid installation on hardware and Cable Modems and the like. Pain in the @$$.

You would think by now that Microsoft would get something right and make it truly user-friendly.

Dawg

Original Member Since 1998. [10 YEARS AND COUNTING!]

United States
    On occasion Win 9x will mess up if you have multiple network cards assigned. Best bet is to boot up in safe mode and check device manager. Look for a number of wireless network cards listed. Delete all of these from device manager then reboot and let the PC redetect the hardware. Sometimes that will work.

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

Undisclosed
    Update: I fixed it..... I updated my PCMI drivers....and it still didnt work....

Then I tried installing it like a billion different ways....in a billion different directions.....

Then...miraculouslly it started working ....(Even though that installation claimed failure)

Now the test is....can I duplicate these actions in the other laptop!