Thread: Intelligent videogame research from the BBFC...

Super Moderator

UK

Intelligent videogame research from the BBFC...

http://www.melonfarmers.co.uk/bw.htm#Playing_Games

The key findings of the research were:

* that children begin playing games at an increasingly early age, but that the overall age of games players is getting older
    * there is a sharp divide between male and female games players in their taste in games and how long they spend playing
    * female games players tend to prefer ‘strategic life simulation’ games like The Sims and puzzle games and spend less time playing than their male counterparts
    * male players favour first ‘person shooter’ and sports games and are much more likely to become deeply absorbed in the play
    * younger games players are influenced to play particular games by peer pressure and word of mouth, but negative press coverage for a game will significantly increase its take up
    * people play games to escape from every day life and to escape to a world of adventure without risk which is under the control of the gamer, unlike the real world
    * games provide a sense of achievement and are active, unlike television and films which are passive. However, games are better at developing action than building character and as such gamers tend to care less about the storyline than making progress in the game
    * gamers appear to forget they are playing games less readily than film goers forget they are watching a film because they have to participate in the game for it to proceed. They appear to non-games players to be engrossed in what they are doing, but, they are concentrating on making progress, and are unlikely to be emotionally involved
    * gamers claim that playing games is mentally stimulating and that playing develops hand eye coordination
    * violence in games, in the sense of eliminating obstacles, is built into the structure of some games and is necessary to progress through the game. It contributes to the tension because gamers are not just shooting, they are vulnerable to being shot and most gamers are concentrating on their own survival rather than the damage they are inflicting on the characters in the game. While there is an appeal in being able to be violent without being vulnerable to the consequences which similar actions in real life would create, gamers are aware that they are playing a game and that it is not real life
    * gamers are aware that violence in games is an issue and younger players find some of the violence upsetting, particularly in games rated for adults. There is also concern that in some games wickedness prevails over innocence. However, most gamers are not seriously concerned about violence in games because they think that the violence on television and in films is more upsetting and more real
    * gamers are virtually unanimous in rejecting the suggestion that video games encourage people to be violent in real life or that they have become desensitised. They see no evidence in themselves or their friends who play games that they have become more violent in real life. As one participant said: I no more feel that I have actually scored a goal than I do that I have actually killed someone. I know it’s not real. The emphasis is on achievement.
    * non-games playing parents are concerned about the amount of time their children, particularly boys, spend playing games and would prefer that they were outside in the fresh air. However, they are more concerned about the ‘stranger-danger’ of internet chat rooms. While the violence in games surprises them and concerns some of them, they are confident that their children are well balanced enough to not be influenced by playing violent games
    * while parents agree that there should be regulation of games some are happy to give their children adult games because they are “only games”.
    If only so-called researchers in America were as open-minded and straight-forward as this.

The BBFC are generally pretty cool these days, and this mature and sensible approach to videogame research just goes to show what all the gamers themselves have been shouting back at the reactionaries for years. The summary points I've quoted there sum it up nicely and get the heart of the matter and just flat out say what the deal really is.

United States
    Wait

You mean those Nazi bastards I took out last night at Carentan are fake ?

WTF ?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    aye the bbfc kick ass, i myself though have wierd tastes in gameing, im a big fan of japanese culture so games like we love katamari, project rub, under the skin ect. are much more appealing than an fps.

thats why one of my favourite sports games is jet set radio future

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    thats why one of my favourite sports games is jet set radio future
    You certainly know how to lure an ol' skool SEGA boy out of his cave Hellz, I'll give you that. Jet Set Radio Future kicks ass. Where's the franchise gone man? The programmers down at SEGA could probably get that game looking damn close to real time cel animation - I want next-gen Rokakku-dai Heights bitch!

And yeah, high five to the BBFC.
    Last edited by capncnut; 18-Apr-2007 at 07:27 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i can also recommend panzer dragoon orta for the xbox, the last real decent "acrcade" style rail shooter, totally awesome.

capncnut
    Panzer Dragoon Saga on the Saturn was astonishing at the time. Played Orta and although it was an excellent game, it was lacking the overall replayabilty that Saga offered. Now Panzer Dragoon Zwei, that's another story altogether.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    which you unlock after beating orta, just like house 3 on the xbox unlocks house 2 so you play through the lesser version to unlock a much better one, now THAT sir is excellent additional content

United States

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyebiter View Post
    harsh but true!

United States
    Holy Crap thats Hilarious! About a month after I gave up DnD I got my first BJ
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    them hardcore d and d fans make hardocre otaku cosplayers look in the realm of normality....if this was the 60's.