View Poll Results: Do you subscribe to threads?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I don't subscribe in any shape or form! I live on the edge!

18 90.00%
  • Yes, by email.

1 5.00%
  • Yes, but not by email (by the Control Panel).

1 5.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you 'email subscribe' to threads?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Ive never subscribed to threads on any forums ive been on, to be honest it would just bug me
    That really surprises me!? So if you post say three new threads... Every time you logon, you have to manually hunt down those three threads, to see if/what the replies there are?

But, if you've subscribed (say with no email), a single click when you logon to go into "User CP", tells you instantly if anyone has replied, to any of those posts... Job done...

Just can't see any benefit of not subscribing, at least without email

Surely you must waste so much time just checking up on threads, and miss so many posts that have been made to threads you forget to check?

ps: How can subscribing (without email for example) bug you?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I don't understand this notion of getting a shedload of notifications, on a busy day at HPOTD I'll check my email and find I've got say anywhere under 25 to go through, but that's rare, usually it's under 15, and it takes me directly to all the responses I've got waiting, so I never miss the continuation of the threads, because guaranteed you're going to forget about some threads and then that's no good is it?

It's nice and simple, takes you right to the response, and BOSH - job done. Then you can go and lurk around for new posts and threads you're not subscribed to as yet.

I love the system.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    That really surprises me!? So if you post say three new threads... Every time you logon, you have to manually hunt down those three threads, to see if/what the replies there are?

But, if you've subscribed (say with no email), a single click when you logon to go into "User CP", tells you instantly if anyone has replied, to any of those posts... Job done...

Just can't see any benefit of not subscribing, at least without email

Surely you must waste so much time just checking up on threads, and miss so many posts that have been made to threads you forget to check?

ps: How can subscribing (without email for example) bug you?
    Well i like checking myself, if i subscribed to every topic i posted in, my user cp would be rammed with notifications and i cant be bothered deleting them.. i never find time to delete my PM's as it

As for email notification, im on alot of forums, if i used email notification i would get easilly 50+ emails a day, i would lose my important daily emails in that mass, again its finding time to sift through them all.

it would just bug me is the short answer lol.

United States
    My default setting is to be subscribed with email. I like it because I can see whats been posted without actually wandering over to read. If it's some lame joke thats been posted on a serious thread, I haven't wasted my time coming back to reply.

Anytime I'm done with a thread, I simply unsubscribe. No muss, no fuss.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I can't believe so many people don't subscribe in anyway! How do you know if after a week or so, if someone then replies to a thread you were involved with?
    Well, ever since you changed to this new board, a new post to a thread moves that thread to the top of the list, making it easy to see a new post has occured.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Well i like checking myself, if i subscribed to every topic i posted in, my user cp would be rammed with notifications and i cant be bothered deleting them.. i never find time to delete my PM's as it
    But there is no need to delete them?

At a single click ("USER CP") you can see any reply to any thread you've been involved with... Seems to powerful an option to ignore

Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT View Post
    Well, ever since you changed to this new board, a new post to a thread moves that thread to the top of the list, making it easy to see a new post has occured.
    Trust me, try subscribing (without email) and then just go into USER CP... It's rather useful!

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I don't understand this notion of getting a shedload of notifications, on a busy day at HPOTD I'll check my email and find I've got say anywhere under 25 to go through, but that's rare, usually it's under 15, and it takes me directly to all the responses I've got waiting, so I never miss the continuation of the threads, because guaranteed you're going to forget about some threads and then that's no good is it?

It's nice and simple, takes you right to the response, and BOSH - job done. Then you can go and lurk around for new posts and threads you're not subscribed to as yet.

I love the system.
    Me to, I just don't go in for the email aspect of it...
    Last edited by Neil; 05-May-2007 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan