Thread: My Donington/Download Festival Review (with videos)

Kazakhstan

My Donington/Download Festival Review (with videos)

MY DONINGTON REVIEW YOU B***ARDS

27 years of metal history continued this year at donington park with a weekend that saw 105 bands, 4 stages, 80,000 headbangers, and 200 quids worth of beer on my behalf alone, here be-eth mine revieweth...

Megadeth

YES! you cant beat a bit of megadave. criminally short set (30 minutes or something). it was a bloody blinding set though, the sound was beautiful, even the weather was alright. classics included
    hangar 18
    peace sells
    symphony of destruction
    take no prisoners

holy wars
    four horsemen/mechanix

Slayer

SLAYERRRRR! i was loving this, admittedly not much different from when i saw them 2 years ago - AND NO ANGEL OF DEATH , but still, i screamed myself hoarse and generally had a good one of it

and of course the best moment at any slayer gig...

Iron Maiden

Absolutely superb. admittedly i havent listened to them much since i was about 17, but it all came flooding back, a REALLY long set, ed hunter turned up, bruce dickinson fell on his arse, gig started in daytime and finished at night. singin along to fear of the dark with the woo-ooo-oo bit was magic perfection.

Chimaira

have to say i love these guys, wasnt familiar with the new stuff, but classics like power trip and pure hatred were awesome "sing along to this one, the words are real simple - it goes I HATE EVERYONEEE!!"

Napalm Death

CRUSHINGLY HEAVY, almost comically brutal, so much more than on record. a bit of spinal tap esque **** talking too. "some people say you are your own god, butt hats bull**** cos god doesnt exist" LOL eh? and that guy is straight edge too.

Orange Goblin

absolutely superb, amazing sound, a genuine rock n roll band in an age of tw*ts, saw them a few weeks ago and this just about topped it, even with the cowshed acoustics of a festival

Machinehead

LET FREEDOM RING WITH THE SHOTGUN BLAST! sound was a little bit duff but they kept the classics coming (mercifully ignoring that nu metal they put us through). it was ball sweatingly hot though.

Mastodon

alas, i only caught a bit, i was actually taking a piss as "march of the fire ants came on (my favourite tune). they seemed alright though.

Motley Crue

say what you will, i was loving this, the cover of anarchy in the UK ruled, nikki's tale of getting his knob sucked by two sisters backstage was delightful, plus i got to punch my fist to "shout at the devil" - YEAH!

Marilyn Manson

well i have to say i got a majoir soft spot for manson, that said i reckon he lost it about 7 years ago, but blow me, this set just kicked me in the nuts, superb stuff, i was right on the crush barrier too, whites of their eyes territory.

wolfmother

have to say i was a bit pished and dont remember much of this, but i remember thinkin it was good in a sabbath/hendrix kinda way. worth checking out.

Velvet Revolver

GNR LIVES! well, maybe not, but a solid show, the video below was about as close to the old skool gunners as i got. slash still pwns. and a talking heads cover? believe.

Hellyeah

if no one else has the balls to say it, i will - we were all basically there to see vinnie paul behind a kit again, right?
    that said, i had a good time, nothing amazing, but then how the hell do you follow up pantera.

Turisas

i blagged chic freak and thearabianmage to go see these guys, they were a bit meh about it...and then they came on. MADNESS. think braveheart meets manowar with a dash of gwar. awesome.

Dreamtheater

not the biggest fan of these guys, but wow, their guitarist has the riffs, vintage stuff, i just wish theyd drop that singer and write less pretentious songs!

Dimmu borgir
    hell yes, now youre talking. only caught 4 or 5 songs, but wow, these guys have power.

Parikrama

these guys are great! a bunch of asian blokes who play proper old school heavy rock, it sounds F***ING great, and i had a bad hangover when i saw them, too.

Korn
    only caught a bit (then i got nutted by an old man!), but they seemed solid. davis isnt fat anymore! noooo

i saw some other stuff but it slips the memory. also the circus, margaritas, coppers, campers & the general whole thing was bloody great, i highly recommend this festival to anyone who likes hard rock.

sorry neil, i didnt see linkin park (was watching motley crue instead) but here's a video of their saturday night gig, if youre reading...

"Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    a freind of mine met the fat guy from bowling for soup there, apparently the set up wasnt as good as last year, still wish id've gone, but like id have the money for that

Kazakhstan
    yeah i saw them too, last year (or the year before) everyone was chucking inflatable sheep at them, this year they had what looked like giant inflatable sheep on stage.

get a job man! its totally worth going to, i know people in america who would give a testicle for lineups like download's
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.

THE LEISURE HIVE

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    it aint just the cash , im a wuss and have no desire to get nutted by some dude when reign in blood comes on, least i can admit that, still its only about a 20 min drive from were i live, in fact on the way to a maths exam (doen with matsh for good now woot) the bus had to stop for a guy who was walking home from download and had passed out down a country lane in the middle of the road

Kazakhstan
    lol @ that thing about the guy walking back, classic stuff.
    btw i wouldnt let mosh horror stories put you off gigs, its a load of rubbish, people just play it up so they sound harder for being there, i was down the front for slayer, manson and orange goblin with my girlfriend and didnt get touched there's usually about 30-40 people going mad but theyre easy to avoid, they stick to their area, like. majority of people just want to watch the band.

plus there was guitar hero championships on stage every night, you could have cleaned up...

THE LEISURE HIVE

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    time to pull up one your own man

im STILL playing guitar heor 2, iv got about 7 or 8 guys from the hpotd on my live buddy lsit so im tempted to re buy it for the 360 to test out my level of play against there, so i dont think id last long against some of them.
    though i may be tempted to go next year, troubel is i dont drink and all my "metal" type freinds are 'piss-ed's' (theres another brtiish-ism for ya los) so i reckon thatd drag down the atmosphere a wee bit , wouldnt awnt to be standing next to em and have this happen ( )

Kazakhstan
    lol thats true.

youd have to be the shiznit to get up on the dimebag stage and enter the GH2 championships though, people got the **** bottled out of them for failing
    MC was like "leave him alone lads, its a hard track to do".

THE LEISURE HIVE

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    depends though if it was jessica or free bird on expert then id understand but if it was mother or woman on medium then hell yeah id boo em!

capncnut
    You lucky, lucky s**t. Too bad about, Megadeth.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Megadeth, Slayer, Maiden, Crue, Napalm Death; awesome line-up. Velvet Revolver; cool addition. Everyone else; not my cup of tea.

Glad to see you had a good time, though. I wish the US had more awesome metal/rock fests like the UK/Europe get all the freaking time.

Kazakhstan
    yeah you guys in america are criminally denied your RDA of true metal

check this one out

http://hellfest.fr/index3_en.html

drool. imagine seeing mayhem, 1349, kreator and slayer on the same weekend

only problem is it's in france

THE LEISURE HIVE